The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Need Toughness...

Patrick Maroon 30, 6'4 UFA , W , Ross Johnston 6'4, 24 RFA, W , Chris Stewart 30, UFA, W,  Wayne Simmonds, W, 6'2 30 soon, 4 million 1 yr left                                                      ( Matt Martin W, 29 soon,  2.6 million 2 yrs remain, Skating ?)

These are just a few guys but we need to add at least one player for toughness and grit to replace Dorsett...

Gudbranson 6'4,220 can also add that element so would be nice to have another forward...

We have no real young guy in organization at this point to bring along... A very soft team will so many young guns arriving...

Tom Wilson 6'4, W, 24 RFA this summer had 35 points this season would be very good addition..

Think Washington will match any offers on him... He will want at least 2.5 --- 3.5 Million range...

He would be great on the Canucks young club only 24..

Josh Anderson 6'3,W,  23 yrs old, 225, 1.8 million would of been on Bo Horvat's Jr team ..

Yes these are the type of players we really need... Need easy to get in trade as there very valuable for team toughness and they have skill

Josh can score 17 G last year and 19G this season..

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Josh Anderson 6'3,W,  23 yrs old, 225, 1.8 million would of been on Bo Horvat's Jr team ..

Yes these are the type of players we really need... Need easy to get in trade as there very valuable for team toughness and they have skill

Josh can score 17 G last year and 19G this season..

who are you willing to give up for them? 

23 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

Personally if it were up to me I'd be willing to trade JV, Bear, Granlund, Gudbranson, Sutter (Granlund with a pick to make it fair) for Tom Wilson.  Anderson I don't know enough about, but if he's as tough and as a character guy, than the same for him too.  Wilson is a big reason Washington tied the series right now and thirty other teams would love to have him.   Anderson is going to get at least Sutter money on his next deal if he keeps it up (getting better).

17 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

It would be very hard to acquire Anderson or Wilson as there big tough and have talent...The UFA route might be the easy route and get a Maroon 30 yrs old

and can play in top 9 ...Several teams will be after Maroon who might sign for 3 million range...

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's a hard decision, but I'd move out most of our softer D.

Draft & develop larger D-men.

Easy to say but that's a work in progress. I would like to see Edler, Tanev, and Hutton gone next year. All for what you can get. Picks preferably as that is supposed to be Bennings niche and definitely has been on point with most. 

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's a hard decision, but I'd move out most of our softer D.

Draft & develop larger D-men.

Just because you draft big D men doesn't mean they will play tough and gritty? 

We have one tough D man Gudbranson..Hope he comes back and has a healthy season..

Get rid of edler and tanev,sounds like something an Edmonton fan would suggest.Sorry to tell you but they are our best defense men so not a wise decision.Edler doesn't have the most ice time for no apparent reason.We have other candidates to move off the blue line.If you don't hit or score and are weak in your own zone as a defender you are redundant,as in, of no use to us.

As it has been said many times before, recruit bigger, nastier, talented defense men.This year is a good time to stock up at the draft.

We have to get lucky and find a norris  award winner eventually.Young fast and crushes the opposition,YES PLEASE!

Nice collection to pick from but is this to say that Darren Archibald is not a full time fourth liner in the bigs or that Joe Labate's progress or expectations are not being met.

I'd hate to put out the big bucks if we could do it cheaper through our organization for now and revisit the toughness issue later when the core has settled in.

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Tom Wilson or Josh Anderson. Big physical guys that can skate. 

Both teams have cap dumps they need that the Canucks could take on to pry those guys along with a pick. 

Orpik+Wilson so Washington gets some cap space to re-sign Carlson

Dubinsky+Anderson giving a playoff team more cap flexibility to add valued pieces.

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Tom Wilson 6'4, W, 24 RFA this summer had 35 points this season would be very good addition..

Think Washington will match any offers on him... He will want at least 2.5 --- 3.5 Million range...

He would be great on the Canucks young club only 24..

I'd give 4.25 for Wilson

Edit: Actually no I wouldn't. The max I would give Wilson is $3,652,659

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Both teams have cap dumps they need that the Canucks could take on to pry those guys along with a pick. 

Orpik+Wilson so Washington gets some cap space to re-sign Carlson

Dubinsky+Anderson giving a playoff team more cap flexibility to add valued pieces.

Columbus gave up a 1st round pick, a 2nd round round pick and allowed Vegas to choose W. Karlsson in the expansion draft just so Vegas would not select Anderson. It would take a huge offer to get Anderson out of Columbus.

Las Vegas Knights acquire Date Columbus Blue Jackets acquire
Las_Vegas_Knights.gif 2019 2nd round pick 
2017 1st round pick 
David Clarkson
June 21, 2017
Expansion draft considerations Columbus_Blue_Jackets.gif

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Columbus gave up a 1st round pick, a 2nd round round pick and allowed Vegas to choose W. Karlsson in the expansion draft just so Vegas would not select Anderson. It would take a huge offer to get Anderson out of Columbus.

Las Vegas Knights acquire Date Columbus Blue Jackets acquire
Las_Vegas_Knights.gif 2019 2nd round pick 
2017 1st round pick 
David Clarkson
June 21, 2017
Expansion draft considerations Columbus_Blue_Jackets.gif

I agree Anderson will not be going anywhere, he is only 23 a real power forward 6'4 and he can score, complete talent every team wants...

4 hours ago, 6string said:

Nice collection to pick from but is this to say that Darren Archibald is not a full time fourth liner in the bigs or that Joe Labate's progress or expectations are not being met.

I'd hate to put out the big bucks if we could do it cheaper through our organization for now and revisit the toughness issue later when the core has settled in.

I think Labate will be a AHL player but could be a late bloomer? 

I think Archibald can play 4th line role, he played real physical in his first 10 games and last 3 week he stopped playing with that edge that he started with..

Would like a Wilson RFA or Maroon UFA

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree Anderson will not be going anywhere, he is only 23 a real power forward 6'4 and he can score, complete talent every team wants...

I'd actually prefer that we target Adam Lowry out of Winnipeg. He is big, fast and loves to play physical and would be a lot cheaper than either of Wilson or Anderson.

Yes Lowry RFA this summer would be good big 6'5 4th line centre, he will be in 2 mil - 2.5 range...Jets have 19 million cap space and have some young

D men to resign....

I would still rather have a winger who can play in top 9 -- 1st  line some shifts and 3 rd line some shift depending on the physical team there playing..

Play Wilson along side EP if some teams are running the young star????? We will need this in lineup...

Play on wing beside Boser if games heating up... 

Do not want teams knowing we are soft, I am not saying we want a goon, someone that can play..

Not easy to find...

Archived