The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Need Toughness...

13 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Columbus gave up a 1st round pick, a 2nd round round pick and allowed Vegas to choose W. Karlsson in the expansion draft just so Vegas would not select Anderson. It would take a huge offer to get Anderson out of Columbus.

Las Vegas Knights acquire Date Columbus Blue Jackets acquire
Las_Vegas_Knights.gif 2019 2nd round pick 
2017 1st round pick 
David Clarkson
June 21, 2017
Expansion draft considerations Columbus_Blue_Jackets.gif

There was a lot involved on that list for Columbus than just Anderson. I know for sure Korpisalo was also on that do not draft list and I’m sure there was a few more. Also taking a contract like Clarksons at 5.25 mill for 3 more seasons is worth quite a bit on its own. Also let’s not pretend like Karlsson didn’t shock everyone. His 22 and 23 year old seasons he got 20 and 25 points. Columbus gave up a lot to try and protect all their good available players and led Vegas to probably their best unprotected player who was a bottom 6 grinder at the time.

9 hours ago, wildcam said:

Patrick Maroon 30, 6'4 UFA , W , Ross Johnston 6'4, 24 RFA, W , Chris Stewart 30, UFA, W,  Wayne Simmonds, W, 6'2 30 soon, 4 million 1 yr left                                                      ( Matt Martin W, 29 soon,  2.6 million 2 yrs remain, Skating ?)

These are just a few guys but we need to add at least one player for toughness and grit to replace Dorsett...

Gudbranson 6'4,220 can also add that element so would be nice to have another forward...

We have no real young guy in organization at this point to bring along... A very soft team will so many young guns arriving...

Wouldn't mind Maroon or Simmonds. Would not bring in an enforcer though. If you look at these playoffs there's a total of 0 enforcers dressed. No Reaves, Martin  MacDermid or Andreoff. We need gritty guys who can play hockey like Engelland, McQuaid not guys who play 3 mins a night. 

11 hours ago, 6string said:

Nice collection to pick from but is this to say that Darren Archibald is not a full time fourth liner in the bigs or that Joe Labate's progress or expectations are not being met.

I'd hate to put out the big bucks if we could do it cheaper through our organization for now and revisit the toughness issue later when the core has settled in.

I kind of think the idea is to get more tough guys in the upper end of the roster. We have Archie, 4th liner/depth player, Virtanen, bottom 6er (I STILL believe he has top 6 potential though) and Gudbranson, 2nd/3rd pairing D-man. Adding another feisty guy would be pretty good. Maybe Tkachuk drops to us, I doubt it but maybe. What are the odds he stays in school though instead of going pro immediately? 

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Columbus gave up a 1st round pick, a 2nd round round pick and allowed Vegas to choose W. Karlsson in the expansion draft just so Vegas would not select Anderson. It would take a huge offer to get Anderson out of Columbus.

Las Vegas Knights acquire Date Columbus Blue Jackets acquire
Las_Vegas_Knights.gif 2019 2nd round pick 
2017 1st round pick 
David Clarkson
June 21, 2017
Expansion draft considerations Columbus_Blue_Jackets.gif

I think a fair portion of that deal was getting rid of Clarkson's contract too. Not just protecting Anderson and Korpisalo. But it's true, 30 points in 63 games, would have had 25-30 goals over a full season, physical edge to his game, 24 in May. Only way I see us getting Anderson is with an offersheet they can't match. 

17 hours ago, 6string said:

Nice collection to pick from but is this to say that Darren Archibald is not a full time fourth liner in the bigs or that Joe Labate's progress or expectations are not being met.

I'd hate to put out the big bucks if we could do it cheaper through our organization for now and revisit the toughness issue later when the core has settled in.

I hope archie stays around ,he's fairly reliable ,nothin to flashy doesn't stand out or anything ,but he wasn't noticeable in a bad way either. way he knows all the younger players ,the coach. fits all the criteria this team needs. was hoping for similar play to his preseason, on his call up. hindsite he would have been a good choice at the start  given what happened with rodin and burmistrov  maybe he'll have a good start this coming season.

30 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I hope archie stays around ,he's fairly reliable ,nothin to flashy doesn't stand out or anything ,but he wasn't noticeable in a bad way either. way he knows all the younger players ,the coach. fits all the criteria this team needs. was hoping for similar play to his preseason, on his call up. hindsite he would have been a good choice at the start  given what happened with rodin and burmistrov  maybe he'll have a good start this coming season.

Many of us said Archie should of stayed up he earned it more than Burmistrov at least.

To me Archibalds physical presence kind of tailed off near the end the season. Maybe he was hurt or just got complacent so I’m not pencilling him into my starting 12 forwards 

we need muscle badly. We got speed and skill guys but not enough meat and potatoes type players 

to tor: tanev, gaunce

to van: liljegren, martin

Tor will want to dump martins deal and boost they’re soft blue line

to wsh: hutton, granlund/goldobin

to van: Wilson, orpik

Wsh is gonna wanna shake things up after their enviable early playoff exit. They’ll wanna shed orpiks salary to re-sign Carlson and get a little quicker and Wilson is the sweetener

baertschi-horvat-boeser

eriksson-Gagner-pettersson

Dahlen-gaudette-virtanen

martin-sutter-wilson

Granlund/goldobin/leipsic

edler-gudbranson

del zotto-stecher

juolevi-pouliot 

orpik-biega/liljegren 

demko

markstrom

On 4/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, 6string said:

I would say Archie is not the answer, he is too slow and hasn't answered the call far too often

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I would say Archie is not the answer, he is too slow and hasn't answered the call far too often

I doubt we would spend money in this area though, many teams survive without it.

Gadovich in the future will be adding toughness and skill up front, I hope he comes through.

we have toughness and to me I would rather at this point get goals then toughness so we can win more games

we have 4 guys that are tought, how many more do we really need??

look at the Ducks who have one of the tougher teams but not much speed and they got owned

39 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

we have toughness and to me I would rather at this point get goals then toughness so we can win more games

we have 4 guys that are tought, how many more do we really need??

look at the Ducks who have one of the tougher teams but not much speed and they got owned

Who are the  4 guys?????????????? 1.Gudbrason............ Missing the other 3?

So many games we were man handled and one game against Nashville was embarrassing 3 players got there face washed and nobody did anything...

1.Gudbranson okay.......  Archiebald 29, come up and played very gritty in first 6 games, his last 8 games he stopped playing gritty style....

Nobody else steps up..

Big Jake has the body to be that crashing aggressive style.... He Does not play that way all the time..

We have so many young guys that we need toughness around that can play..Thats the hard part to find the Dorsett type guy..

Young talented guys like,  Boser,  Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Goldobin, Baertchi, Grandlund, 

Honestly, I find "toughness" one of the last things to get when building a team.  It's important for playoff runs (so might be important AFTER next season) but generally the guys who are big an tough aren't top 6 guys at the same time. Also, with Archibald, Virtanen and Gudbranson, I think we have some overtly gritty guys and then you add in the Edlers, the Horvats, Del Zottos and the occasional Biegas, among others, and we have some pretty ok hitting as well. Then we also have a combination of such guys coming through the pipe like Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu, and especially Tryamkin if he ever comes back.  (He counts as two tough guys, imo)

...we might be ok as-is. My primary concern in this regard is to help shelter the new guys and make sure they aren't totally walked on and get basically scared of the physicality of the big league.  Otherwise, I feel our focus ought to be elsewhere. I'd certainly rather not spend assets right now to try to get such players when we have much more pressing issues like our d.

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, I find "toughness" one of the last things to get when building a team.  It's important for playoff runs (so might be important AFTER next season) but generally the guys who are big an tough aren't top 6 guys at the same time. Also, with Archibald, Virtanen and Gudbranson, I think we have some overtly gritty guys and then you add in the Edlers, the Horvats, Del Zottos and the occasional Biegas, among others, and we have some pretty ok hitting as well. Then we also have a combination of such guys coming through the pipe like Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu, and especially Tryamkin if he ever comes back.  (He counts as two tough guys, imo)

...we might be ok as-is. My primary concern in this regard is to help shelter the new guys and make sure they aren't totally walked on and get basically scared of the physicality of the big league.  Otherwise, I feel our focus ought to be elsewhere. I'd certainly rather not spend assets right now to try to get such players when we have much more pressing issues like our d.

We can get a Maroon UFA costs nothing in prospects....You need a balance on a team?

Skilled players, players that get in dirty area's, speed players, gritty players that are tough to play against and then mix it all together...

A bunch that have great work ethics and get along...Its not simple to put a team like Winnipeg jets together..

That is the way to build through drafts being patient and developing your players...

Jim and Trevor are on there way and they already know they need that grit and toughness in playoffs and regular season games against the big clubs, LA, Jets, Ducks, Boston, Nashville, Calgary, Edmonton...

Man why all the hate on Archie? He was second on the team in hits/GP (narrowly beat out by Motte), was second amongst forwards (behind Brandon Sutter) in SH/TOI per game, scored at a pace of 27 points over 82 games, and took only two minor penalties. He did this with 81% defensive zone starts (2nd in the ENTIRE LEAGUE). 

To have a fourth line guy with size score at that pace, kill penalties, be top in hits, play close to 15 minutes per game and stay out of the box is impressive. Would I pay him 3 million dollars? No, but for what he makes and for the role he is given I'd say Archie was a bright spot. 

Wouldn't mind picking up Jay Beagle in free agency on a 1 year, 2.5 million dollar contract. Not a great fighter but would provide some grit, could be flipped for a 3rd or 4th rounder at the deadline

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Man why all the hate on Archie? He was second on the team in hits/GP (narrowly beat out by Motte), was second amongst forwards (behind Brandon Sutter) in SH/TOI per game, scored at a pace of 27 points over 82 games, and took only two minor penalties. He did this with 81% defensive zone starts (2nd in the ENTIRE LEAGUE). 

To have a fourth line guy with size score at that pace, kill penalties, be top in hits, play close to 15 minutes per game and stay out of the box is impressive. Would I pay him 3 million dollars? No, but for what he makes and for the role he is given I'd say Archie was a bright spot. 

Wouldn't mind picking up Jay Beagle in free agency on a 1 year, 2.5 million dollar contract. Not a great fighter but would provide some grit, could be flipped for a 3rd or 4th rounder at the deadline

Have we signed Archie for next season yet?

9 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Still wonder what it would take get nick Ritchie ? Then sign ryan reaves he can skate 

Could the Ducks use Tanev? Bieksa is coming off of the books, but they are fairly strong on the right side with Montour and Manson. 

More realistically, how about his brother Brett? Dallas is seriously lacking in secondary scoring - a player like Baertschi would provide offensive depth, and has a much better points per game than the players outside of their top line. 

Honka is struggling a lot. Perhaps Ritchie & Honka for Baertschi & Stecher? Each player we acquire is a year younger. Ritchie gives us that size up front, and Honka has more upside than Stecher. 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Discussion] Canucks Need Toughness...

To a certain degree, I will agree that the Canucks do need some size; however, this is no longer the "age of size."  Those days are all but gone.  Look around the League; teams are getting faster, not because they have a roster of over-sized players; no; its because they are slighter in size and swifter on their skates.  A prime example of that is Nashville.  How else do account for Arvidsson (5'-9" 180lbs).

The main thing that the Canucks need is depth on Defense and then speed and secondary scoring. 

Realistically, the Canucks are 3 - 5 years away from competing for the playoffs (longer if Benning is making the decisions).  The Canucks may have a couple guys who could step in Defense positions in a year or two, but this is the year that the Canucks have to think long and hard on stocking up on Defense during the upcoming Draft.  

As it stands, the Canucks have only 6 picks.  If Benning doesn't garner more picks, that is it.  So, that being said, focus on Defense.  Everyone knows that their first pick must be a top rated Defense. 

Here is my list of (possible) picks from this year's Draft:

1ST -- (#4 (#4))  BOUCHARD, Evan    RHD    18    6 - 2    192        (London    OHL)

2ND -- (#37 (#37))  DURZI, Sean    RHD    19    6 - 0    196        (Owen Sound    OHL)        

3RD -- (#68 (#69))  ZAVGORODNIY, Dmitri    C/LW    17    5 - 9    173        (Rimouski    QMJHL)

5TH -- (#130 (#133))  BARTEAUX, Dawson    LHD    18    6 - 1    170        (Red Deer    WHL)

6TH -- (#161 (#163))  PATERSON, Josh    RHC    19    6 - 2    199        (Saskatoon    WHL)

7TH -- (#192 (#88 EU))  JOHANSSON, Simon    RHD    18    6 - 2    170        (Djurgardans IF J20                  SuperElit)

I welcome any and all comments and your lists)

Archived