The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Reid Boucher

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Watch Toronto pick him up to have him play for the Marlies. They are petty like that. 

Toronto would just have to put him straight back on waivers to assign him to the minors. At which point, if he clears the other clubs, we can reclaim & assign.

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Don't think he's eligible to play for the Marlies in the AHL playoffs either. AHL has a deadline too, and players not papered in can't play (i.e. - we can't send Gaudette).

I thought we papered Boucher down, failed to paper Archibald? I guess not... @-Vintage Canuck- ?

He definitely cannot be selected on waivers & assigned to the Marlies.  He would sit on the NHL's big club, which has playoff roster limits / can carry extra roster bodies. No?

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

43 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Toronto would just have to put him straight back on waivers to assign him to the minors. At which point, if he clears the other clubs, we can reclaim & assign.

I thought we papered Boucher down, failed to paper Archibald? I guess not... @-Vintage Canuck- ?

He definitely cannot be selected on waivers & assigned to the Marlies.  He would sit on the NHL's big club, which has playoff roster limits / can carry extra roster bodies. No?

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Something outside woke me up and I couldn’t get back to sleep so I just went on my phone, checked CDC, and found this notification.

Anyway, I’m not gonna search the CBA for specifics right now, but as far as I know, if Boucher were to be claimed, he’d be ineligible to play for any new organization for both the current NHL and AHL playoffs. 

So a team could only really claim him for his RFA rights.

I’m pretty sure the NHL GM fraternity would consider this a big time dick move, so it seems pretty unlikely it happens.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Something outside woke me up and I couldn’t get back to sleep so I just went on my phone, checked CDC, and found this notification.

Anyway, I’m not gonna search the CBA for specifics right now, but as far as I know, if Boucher were to be claimed, he’d be ineligible to play for any new organization for both the current NHL and AHL playoffs. 

So a team could only really claim him for his RFA rights.

I’m pretty sure the NHL GM fraternity would consider this a big time dick move, so it seems pretty unlikely it happens.

plus why do it now? he'll probably be on waivers again anyway out of training camp (assuming he gets a qualifying offer). I guess if Edmonton thinks he's the answer to something? 

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

He cleared. On his way to Utica. 

He will have to prove himself worthy of leaving the Comets to make the Canucks next year regardless,.  Its a great bolster move for Utica.  Hope Boucher has a good run, and a great off season.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

He cleared. On his way to Utica. 

He will have to prove himself worthy of leaving the Comets to make the Canucks next year regardless,.  Its a great bolster move for Utica.  Hope Boucher has a good run, and a great off season.

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

i think the nhl rule is

any player not on the team roster at the trade deadline

(acquired by a team after)

is not available for selection for that team's playoff roster

53 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They have a hole to dig themselves out of but getting their number one centre back should help. 

Hope Cull plays the kids more.

It's easy to think that and it would be nice but notwithstanding that both hockey-reference.com and hockeydb.com list Boucher as a center, he plays on the wing for the Comets (as he did for the Canucks.)  Their #1 center this year was Michael Chaput.  There was a time when the top line for the Comets was Chaput at center with Goldobin and Boucher on the wings.

He's a sniper.

Boucher was their leading scorer despite only playing 45 games for the Comets, so they're getting their best scorer back.

Boucher seems too good for the AHL and not good enough for the NHL. Probably best for his career to play in Europe. Can probably fine a nice euro significant other (if he doesn't have one already) and live in Switzerland for example versus going from small city to small city in NA. He would probably be a star in Europe too and get to represent Canada in the Spengler Cups. At least that's how I would carve out my life if I were in his shoes. His lifelong dream could be to win a Stanley Cup though and he may hang on a few more years splitting time in the AHL and NHL to see where his career path takes him before making that decision. If his game improves in Europe, teams might come calling and give him another chance anyway.

Archived