The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alleged serial killer in Canada, faces 8th murder charge

CBH1926

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Seems like police really dropped the ball on this one....   investigation seems bungled from the start.....

Sad.    So many  people  / families affected with the loss a loved one.   

It's a difficult demographic.  Many are marginalized, even shunned by family etc.  Many abuse substances and are somewhat transient.  I'm not trying to make generalizations because every story is different but a lot of people become targets.  I think of Willie Picton in Vancouver preying on prostitutes for years without the police connecting the dots. 

Here's hoping that there are no more victims to be found and that this sicko is removed from the streets.

The marginalized are easy targets, society tends to "value' them less and they are usually less close with family and friends.

Northern BC has an area called The Highway Of Tears. Many women have gone missing up there, including my aunt.

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It's a difficult demographic.  Many are marginalized, even shunned by family etc.  Many abuse substances and are somewhat transient.  I'm not trying to make generalizations because every story is different but a lot of people become targets.  I think of Willie Picton in Vancouver preying on prostitutes for years without the police connecting the dots. 

Here's hoping that there are no more victims to be found and that this sicko is removed from the streets.

Why should a society only properly investigate disappearances that are family reported.

Police also screwed up the Picton murders... He should have been arrested WAY quicker.... many lives were lost needlessly due to poor investigation. 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why should a society only properly investigate disappearances that are family reported.

How exactly would that work?

It would be a colossal expense to investigate the whereabouts of every person who has decided to ditch their friends/hook-ups/whatever.

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It would be a colossal expense to investigate the whereabouts of every person who has decided to ditch their friends/hook-ups/whatever.

Pretty much. Cops have limited resources and have to prioritize. Which is why it helps if you have people who give a $&!# about you. They can go shed some tears on your behalf and now the cops don't think of you as Missing Person #6652.

53 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Is it actually possible to 'ditch' a hookup?  :P 

17 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Is it actually possible to 'ditch' a hookup?  :P 

Well...if one party was unaware of the situation...

"I had such a great night with that architect I met at the bar. He promised to call me...but hasn't...

...There's only one explanation for this - he must be missing! Better call the cops!!!"

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Seems like police really dropped the ball on this one....   investigation seems bungled from the start.....

Sad.    So many  people  / families affected with the loss a loved one.   

Maybe the Policing of these horrific crimes (and other crimes of violence) would be more quickly solved if our Police were less busy with traffic patrol - speed traps and the like - and more busy with ... you know ... doing actual POLICE WORK?

Why are our Police officers doing any traffic stuff, especially when we need (clearly) more detective work?  

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Policing of these horrific crimes (and other crimes of violence) would be more quickly solved if our Police were less busy with traffic patrol - speed traps and the like - and more busy with ... you know ... doing actual POLICE WORK?

Why are our Police officers doing any traffic stuff, especially when we need (clearly) more detective work?  

Having lived in places where there was minimal traffic surveillance or venal cops, I can tell you this is a bad idea. I don't want to see people driving their vehicles on the sidewalk to avoid traffic congestion like I did in India. 

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Having lived in places where there was minimal traffic surveillance or venal cops, I can tell you this is a bad idea. I don't want to see people driving their vehicles on the sidewalk to avoid traffic congestion like I did in India. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

There is a flip-side to this.

One of the major hurdles for our Police is lack of resources. Tickets for traffic violations provide additional funding. If the Police were writing less tickets, they'd need additional funding from taxes, or have to cut back even further on other services (such as investigating serial killers). Personally, as much as I've hated getting the odd speeding ticket in the past, I'd prefer to have the choice to obey the laws and avoid having to pay more taxes. Same reason I don't mind heavy taxes on gambling (solution: don't speed/gamble!).

Also, as @Toews alluded to, the threat of such tickets also does have a positive effect on public safety.

New York city discovered that if they cracked down on jay walking, littering, and making building owners keep all the windows in place with much less graffitti the overall crime rate would go down.

The general idea is if you go militant on much lesser "crimes" people think "Man are these guys tough" and perps don't do the more serious things.

12 hours ago, gurn said:

The marginalized are easy targets, society tends to "value' them less and they are usually less close with family and friends.

Northern BC has an area called The Highway Of Tears. Many women have gone missing up there, including my aunt.

depending on what span of years you go by 1969 to 2011(21)   ,the figure is 18 ,or 21 missing?   ,much like the Robert picton case at the pig farm in poco, the police have been blamed for not taking  'the missing women file' seriously. to complicate the situation the commissioner of information and privacy Elizabeth Denham in 2015 ,uncovered a storey that officials within the BC GOV.had deleted all the info regarding the hwy of tears,as well as all backup info? Denham's investigation is called' access denied'. to further make matters worse greyhound bus lines has terminated its service from P.G.to P.R. which complicates the NO hitchhiking law ,that they were rigorously enforcing, AS the hwys foreman up until 2011  I was instructed to tell my crew and post  anyone witnessing ANY hitchhiikers are to immediately contact the rcmp. in lieu of  greyhounds service  the province and the feds are doing a cost share  bus service on alternate days ,specific for hitchhikers. there is some speculation that not all of the missing women files are related , theres also speculation that there was a truck driver in the prince George area of interest.. mean while 18 or 21 unsolved ,possibly unrelated missing person files.........nobodys really sure since its been a botch right from the getgo.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

So people that have no family.... if they disappear..........     No investigation. Really ?

My neighbour ( has no  living family members  )   may not agree with your logic....

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

100 % true.   

Police don't even bother investigating B and E 's  anymore......   too busy doing radar traps at the bottom of a gigantic hill near my house....    LOL  

Archived