The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Horvat - To build a contender.

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

we can just agree to disagree

and i disagree jt will sign a 6 year contract

he will sign a max term contract

7 years if he leaves the isles

I would still do 7 years.  We MIGHT get 70% production by the end.  I can live with that.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I would still do 7 years.  We MIGHT get 70% production by the end.  I can live with that.

i think there is more risk then you wish to accept

look at toews, he is not what he once was

speed is so important in today's game that forwards are peaking earlier

and unfortunately seem to be regressing a bit earlier too

even the sedins started to regress around 33

jt will be 28 in september

so he'll be 35 at the starft of the 7th year of the contract

i think the last 3 years are risky

the problem i have wish signing jt is we really have no mature or clearly developing d groupling to support him

we also do not have a bonafide #1 goaltender

so he'll be signed and we'll spend a year? 2 ? 3? getting those pieces properly sorted out

i think we'd be wasting his peak years

and i think he will see that as well.. and will be unlikley to want to come here

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the consensus of most on CDC.  Yet, "experts" insist that Benning either will or should make a play for him so they seem to think there is a chance. And really, as I said, if he didn't come here it is most likely because he wants to go to a contender.  Yet, I believe the lineup I came up with IS a contender in 1 year's time.

If nothing else, it shows you how adding just a couple of UFAs could make this team turn around in very short order. 

If the sharks go deep past Vegas that would be my guess. 

If Tavares wants to come, he comes by Free Agency.

We can't trade Horvat until our future group is a top 5 without him. Otherwise what is the point, we need a guy that can match up against other top lines and shut them down and still score 50+ points like him.

To address our D concern we need to trade our aging core and our younger players who we don't seem as a fit. We need some luck at the draft tbh this year and we may make great strides come in the future. 

If Demko pans out to be a top 10 goalie, this could allow us to trade Di Pietro for some great assets (if he is to be a #1 starter goalie).

You build Championship teams through the draft. You supplement that core through trades and F/A pick ups. Bo Horvat is an established top 6 forward who we drafted and is one of the only forwards in our young core that has playoff experience. No thanks to trading him

15 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

You build Championship teams through the draft. You supplement that core through trades and F/A pick ups. Bo Horvat is an established top 6 forward who we drafted and is one of the only forwards in our young core that has playoff experience. No thanks to trading him

Building through the draft is ideal.  However, Benning found it suitable to wait to build our D until last, which means if we do this we end up waiting another 3 years or so before we have a contender.  I believe the draft is a key tool, but if you have assets to move that will get you what you need, I say you do it.  Bo Horvat is an established top 6 forward - yes.  So is Tavares.  You pick him up for free via FA and let the chips fall where they may. If you don't want to trade Horvat then fine, but Pettersson starts and remains on the wing then. Not the end of the world, but in my world, no ideal either.

Unless its on the level of something like Horvat + assets for Hedman I don't see it. 

Its going to be a while before EP is ready for 2C duties, and when he is a combo of Pettersson and Horvat might be a great 1/2C combo. 

I don't like this idea. It's like Boston trading a young Bergeron, before fully appreciating what they have. For me it would take a silly overpayment..eg:

MTL: their top-5 pick & Galchenyuk

Some offers would be mighty hard to resist. But we shouldn't go here, at all. What would it say to our other emerging youth?

Bo HAS said & done ALL the right things. One of our true future leaders. Kibosh this notion.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I've got the rope.  Anyone have a good, solid tree, with a low branch in their backyard?  :lol:

Nope don't get yourself into anykind of trouble.

Just hand him the rope, he can hang himself. :))

His contract is a big plus now. Skyrockets his value. 

Someone mentioned Jones, that'd be great. But CBJ has PLD, which is probably Horvats equal in the league. They don't really need him, but hey, having those two up the middle in the playoffs in 3 years is a hell of a thought, because we were SO CLOSE to having them both. 

Gotta keep Bowie and stay the course, 

His value should be sky-high, he fills an all-too-important two-way shutdown role with offensive ability.  Agreed 1000% with the Bergeron and Toews comments and how they're key for teams to have elite guys up the middle.  Bo may not be elite but he's close for sure.  Him behind J.T. would definitely escalate our chances.  Agreed that with Eddie as a rock on the back end and Demko coming in soon, there will be a strong foundation for the team for years to come (hope we get Rasmus but even without him the foundation is there).  

That said, the foundation weakens greatly with Bo gone.  No question we should keep him unless we can get a Doughty/ Ekblad-type coming back.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Unless its on the level of something like Horvat + assets for Hedman I don't see it. 

Its going to be a while before EP is ready for 2C duties, and when he is a combo of Pettersson and Horvat might be a great 1/2C combo. 

X2 - I am good with Bo and EP as a one two punch. Let someone else over pay for Tavares. Bo is a piece of the puzzle why get rid of something you need?

6 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

But why?

Not for a very good reason is my guess. Bo said something like he would like captaincy if offered and apparently to some, it was disrespectful to want captaincy when Henrik is still around the team. Too eager I guess.

Archived