The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Horvat - To build a contender.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Pettersson has played against men in his league and has the stats that blow away prior Swedish greats.  Dahlin really hasn't proven anything yet other than the fact he has enormous skill.  

did they not play in the same league this past season?

Dahlin scored 20 points in 41 games as an 18 year old, Was not a top three point getter for d men in SHL.

Still very impressive, and this guy is touted by almost everyone to be the top pick in the upcoming draft, something that could not be said about Elias.

Many people would not accept Pettersson in a straight up deal for Dahlin, the kid is being talked about as a "generational" talent while Elias was considered a possible elite if he reached his ceiling guy.

I would trade Elias for Dahlin if I could, but I will be happier if the Canucks can just draft Rasmus rather than trade for him.

21 hours ago, gurn said:

Still very impressive, and this guy is touted by almost everyone to be the top pick in the upcoming draft, something that could not be said about Elias.

Many people would not accept Pettersson in a straight up deal for Dahlin, the kid is being talked about as a "generational" talent while Elias was considered a possible elite if he reached his ceiling guy.

I don't really care what people said about Pettersson.  People didn't think that Lundqvist was going to be an elite goalie at the 205th OA pick either.  Or that Benn was elite at 129th.  Or Fleury at 166th.  Etc etc.  Draft position doesn't really mean much.  What matters is how a player develops, and so far, Pettersson has developed far past almost anyone's expectations - including Benning's own.

You make a point of saying that Dahlin is being touted as a "generational" talent (by some) whereas Elias is considered a possible elite player.  Well guess what: So far, Pettersson has been so elite in his development that Sweden as a whole hasn't seen this kind of scoring in far more than a generation - if ever.  So I suppose from that perspective, Pettersson is indeed a generational player himself so far.  The upside to this kid is truly phenominal, and he MAY end up being the best player we've ever had play for our team and MAY be the best player to ever come out of Sweden.

If the people/pundits that said Elias was an elite player if he reaches his ceiling underestimated the guy as badly as it seems, what does that mean for Rasmus who they rate as "generational"?

Sorry for the bold type,I'm not redoing it.

As good/great as Elias is going to be imo, if some team will trade Rasmus straight up I would do it.

Special D men don't come around as often as forwards, which makes sense just based on numbers.

Archived