The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian tourist killed in Peru

riffraff

44 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Not exactly "happy", and I don't know if he was responsible as accused.  But if so, I'd say this kind of justice is probably more on par with the crime than our own justice system dictates.

Personally I don't think vigilante justice is ever a good thing. 

1 minute ago, cdubuya said:

Personally I don't think vigilante justice is ever a good thing. 

No?  Then you must side with allowing murderers to walk away free in 8 years while their families will never recover.

That's not justice.

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

No?  Then you must side with allowing murderers to walk away free in 8 years while their families will never recover.

That's not justice.

Can you show where cdubya expressed the words or intent that you assert to his position?

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Saw the video. If he was really involved in murdering someone, happy to see the locals providing true justice.

It sounds very much like he wasn't a "tourist" but was involved in some very shady stuff.    Misleading to make it sound like an innocent vacationer.   Peru is not a dangerous country in general for Canadians and headlines like that are not fair.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Can you show where cdubya expressed the words or intent that you assert to his position?

Well if he doesn't support vigilante justice, then he relies on the justice system... which is typically severely flawed when it comes to doling out justice.

2 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

an outsider in a place like this is like a deer trying to join a pack of lions

if he did it or not he was always going to be a suspect of the people

Agreed.  Which is why I use the caveat as to whether he actually did it or not.  We don't have the details.

image.png.c4c419a4e85407b56acb83822bd53d2d.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=bb5d22b764914745imageproxy.php?img=&key=bb5d22b764914745

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's usually a duck. See my first statement in this post.

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

That's not justice.

If you must know I think Canadian justice system is a joke.

That doesn't mean going around lynching people we believe to be guilty is the better solution. Think any person accused of a crime (no matter how obvious) should be innocent until proven guilty.... doesn't seem like you think this is true by some of statements you have put forth.... 

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well if he doesn't support vigilante justice, then he relies on the justice system... which is typically severely flawed when it comes to doling out justice.

you must support people burning albinos because they are evil.    Strawmen are fun, aren't they?

If you must know I think Canadian justice system is a joke.

That doesn't mean going around lynching people we believe to be guilty is the better solution. Think any person accused of a crime (no matter how obvious) should be innocent until proven guilty.... doesn't seem like you think this is true by some of statements you have put forth.... 

Ok - perhaps I jumped the gun a little, but perhaps you took my words out of context as well.  Please don't get me wrong. 

If I catch some guy molesting my kid, he's dead. Simple as that. I know he did it because I caught him.

Perhaps that was the case here too.  Perhaps this wasn't speculation and instead they know he committed something completely heinous.

My words that I don't mind this happening make that assumption.  I even said "if he did it".  If it is unknown, then I do not agree with it.

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Ok - perhaps I jumped the gun a little, but perhaps you took my words out of context as well.  Please don't get me wrong. 

If I catch some guy molesting my kid, he's dead. Simple as that. I know he did it because I caught him.

Perhaps that was the case here too.  Perhaps this wasn't speculation and instead they know he committed something completely heinous.

My words that I don't mind this happening make that assumption.  I even said "if he did it".  If it is unknown, then I do not agree with it.

I don't agree with you. I think that if you killed someone you caught molesting your kid that you should go to jail for life. I would be sympathetic to your plight, but I think you would still deserve to go to jail for murder.

We live in a society with laws and order should be maintained. If you don't want to abide by them then fine, you can have your day in court if/when you get caught breaking them.

10 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I don't agree with you. I think that if you killed someone you caught molesting your kid that you should go to jail for life. I would be sympathetic to your plight, but I think you would still deserve to go to jail for murder.

We live in a society with laws and order should be maintained. If you don't want to abide by them then fine, you can have your day in court if/when you get caught breaking them.

Fair position. I don't agree with you either, but I appreciate and respect your opinion.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

That's not justice.

I doubt that anyone sides with that. What many do side with is life imprisonment. 

That way, you ensure the murderer doesn't get a chance to kill anyone else and you also ensure that the "flawed" legal system that you mentioned, hasn't convicted another David Milgaard.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Fair position. I don't agree with you either, but I appreciate and respect your opinion.

I disagree with his opinion as well. The situation paints as a burglar in your home, you can do whatever you want to him, especially if other serious crimes are being committed. 

Anyway, I think more info is needed on this case for me to side with either.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I doubt that anyone sides with that. What many do side with is life imprisonment. 

That way, you ensure the murderer doesn't get a chance to kill anyone else and you also ensure that the "flawed" legal system that you mentioned, hasn't convicted another David Milgaard.

In 2013 there were 4800 people in Canada that were convicted to life in prison.

Out of that number 2880 were out on parole, so much for life in prison sentence.

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

In 2013 there were 4800 people in Canada that were convicted to life in prison.

Out of that number 2880 were out on parole, so much for life in prison sentence.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I said many people support the idea of life in prison, as opposed to summary executions on the streets, as certain people in this thread are suggesting.

Archived