The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian tourist killed in Peru

riffraff

35 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I said many people support the idea of life in prison, as opposed to summary executions on the streets, as certain people in this thread are suggesting.

People are usually eligible for parole after 25 years in prison, most people sentenced to life do get out.

So technically speaking life in prison doesn’t really exist in Canada.

Do you and “many people” support life in prison without possibility of parole?

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

People are usually eligible for parole after 25 years in prison, most people sentenced to life do get out.

Yep. And that was what I was referring to....

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. And that was what I was referring to....

Life in prison with no chance of parole would make prisons quite unsafe for staff i would think.......

Giving an immate a chance to get out with good behavior when they are old and no longer a risk to reoffend makes sense in many cases...

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I said many people support the idea of life in prison, as opposed to summary executions on the streets, as certain people in this thread are suggesting.

Yes... But his point is directly related.  Life in prison often doesnt mean life in prison.  So the choice is either ensure justice is served yourself, or resign to the fact the guy who killed your family member will be out in less time than it takes your teen to finish college.

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Life in prison with no chance of parole would make prisons quite unsafe for staff i would think.......

Giving an immate a chance to get out with good behavior when they are old and no longer a risk to reoffend makes sense in many cases...

Rapsist and murderers can be sent to solitary to rot.

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

Rapsist and murderers can be sent to solitary to rot.

more complicated that that.....    are talking 1st degree, 2nd, manslaughter or conspiracy ?

The issue has more sides to it than you are recognizing..

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

more complicated that that.....    are talking 1st degree, 2nd, manslaughter or conspiracy ?

The issue has more sides to it than you are recognizing..

1st degree murderers and rapists of any sort.

solitary confinement till dead.

9 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

He bought the gun from a police officer? Yeah, that doesn't sound fishy.

This is I why I stated in my original post that I would like to see some response/official statement and investigation by the Canadian gvt.  Perhaps this is still ongoing and we will in time.

from the impression I get I disagree with what this guy was involved with but at the same time he deserves some support as a Canadian 

6 hours ago, riffraff said:

This is I why I stated in my original post that I would like to see some response/official statement and investigation by the Canadian gvt.  Perhaps this is still ongoing and we will in time.

from the impression I get I disagree with what this guy was involved with but at the same time he deserves some support as a Canadian 

You would think that government of Canada will react to one of its citizens being lynched.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:30 PM, CBH1926 said:

This isn't true. Canada has "dangerous offender" status, which can result in an indeterminate sentence. 

On 4/23/2018 at 9:30 PM, CBH1926 said:

5 hours ago, taxi said:

This isn't true. Canada has "dangerous offender" status, which can result in an indeterminate sentence. 

Dangerous offender status is often contested and “label” is removed so people do get out.

Yes, technically speaking you are right and you may die in prison.

Life in prison without possibility of parole in USA, means exactly that.

57 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Dangerous offender status is often contested and “label” is removed so people do get out.

Yes, technically speaking you are right and you may die in prison.

Life in prison without possibility of parole in USA, means exactly that.

Presidential pardon ?

Archived