The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van strikes multiple pedestrians in Toronto (9 confirmed fatalities, 16 injured)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/breakingnews/‘proud’-father-praises-police-officer-son-who-arrested-toronto-van-attack-suspect/ar-AAwiP2I?li=AAggv0m

David Lam, who used to be a police officer in Hong Kong and now owns Top Choice Restaurant in Markham, said he was working at the time of the incident. David said he later got a call from his son to tell him he was OK.

"My son called me (and) told me, ‘Daddy, everything is fine. I arrested the suspect … I didn’t even fire any shots,'” he said.

“I said, ‘You did a good job.’”

David said he has only spoken with his son once since the arrest and doesn't know the exact details of what happened. When asked about how many are praising Const. Lam as a hero, David praised the training his son received "so he can handle any problem."

I found it interesting (and a bit sad, if truth be told) that when I was reading the reactions of law enforcement in the US, their reaction was one of shock and amazement that officer Lam didn't discharge his firearm.

But that's Canadian law enforcement: "Ask questions first and shoot later..." (If at all)

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/breakingnews/‘proud’-father-praises-police-officer-son-who-arrested-toronto-van-attack-suspect/ar-AAwiP2I?li=AAggv0m

I found it interesting (and a bit sad, if truth be told) that when I was reading the reactions of law enforcement in the US, their reaction was one of shock and amazement that officer Lam didn't discharge his firearm.

But that's Canadian law enforcement: "Ask questions first and shoot later..." (If at all)

Because Canadian officers are trained to assess the situation and use force as a last resort only.

Not the first line of defense.

Dead criminals don't face justice

When they catch these guys alive they can hopefully piece together things better after the fact. Shooting them answers nothing. 

Maybe they should use tranquilizer guns or something. Make it a point to keep them alive. Show future monsters they won't get to live out their messed up fantasy suicide.

IMO we're not special in Canada. We are just like the rest of the world. It's America that has the excessive gun violence fetish. 

This thread has been hugely informative and is a must read if you want to understand the motives behind this attack. 

The Internet has done us a lot of good but it has also led to crazies getting together. 

I also agree with the author that this is a case of terrorism.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

This thread has been hugely informative and is a must read if you want to understand the motives behind this attack. 

The Internet has done us a lot of good but it has also led to crazies getting together. 

I also agree with the author that this is a case of terrorism.

I see what Mann is getting at. Accounts of Minassian also state that he was likely on the autism spectrum. Lumping him in with the "alt right" probably isn't correct. 

• 5 weeks later...

Portland, 3 women hit. They caught the driver.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2018/05/25/police-arrest-clackamas-county-man-as-suspected-driver-in-portland-state-university-hit-and-run/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/portland-pedestrians-struck-1.4678320

Edit: Didn't want to start a new 'vehicle attacks' thread. Also, don't know many details yet.

On 4/24/2018 at 4:12 PM, The_Aviator said:

How long before Vancouver is part of some unfortunate act of terror? As the world gets crazier and crazier there are only so many places one can stay wrapped in bubble wrap 24/7

AirIndiaMemorialMain220615_large.jpg?wid

Archived