The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van strikes multiple pedestrians in Toronto (9 confirmed fatalities, 16 injured)

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Looks like a Ryder Rental van.

Yep fits the mo of lots of these incidents recently (new York, Edmonton etc)

rental vehicle driven by a Muslim immigrant who wants to kill innocent people who are just going about their day. 

As for the people mad at the comments regarding guns... grow some thick skin, they do have a point. It’s not the weapon that’s used that’s the problem it’s the extremists and mentally ill that’s the real problem. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people and if they really want to kill, the they will use anything to achieve their sick goal. 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm just impatient is all.  I'd like to know who and why regardless of the outcome.  We know info is coming but still.

I wish I had a concrete answer for you. 

I also just want to know why. I don't really care what they look like either because a terror attack is damn scary and can come from anyone at anytime now :(. Person A driving the van over person B doesn't make this any less fatal or scary. I bet ISIS takes responsibility regardless if it had anything to do with them.

All I know right now is it definitely was intentional and not drug/alcohol related. This person had a motive and I hope we find out what it was.

Just now, KelownaCanucksFan said:

rental vehicle driven by a Muslim immigrant who wants to kill innocent people who are just going about their day. 

As for the people mad at the comments regarding guns... grow some thick skin, they do have a point. It’s not the weapon that’s used that’s the problem it’s the extremists and mentally ill that’s the real problem. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people and if they really want to kill, the they will use anything to achieve their sick goal. 

comparing a pistol to a semi automatic weapon is similar to comparing a rental van to a an artillery tank ..     they can all do damage ..   but the tank and the machine gun can take it to another level all together .  

2 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

So you know something we don't?

Might be muslim might be christian.

Maybe pump the brakes big guy and don't be that person.

As for it not being the gun.  Seems to me that 99% of the time it's a gun killing people.  I don't need to visit a waffle house gay bar or movie theater let alone a country music concert or church to prove that point

22 minutes ago, taxi said:

Video of the cop taking him down: 

[tweet]988487471238451201[/tweet]

2adO8a7L1_l5SFff?format=jpg&name=900x900

Apparently, it was not a gun in his hand but a cell phone....All I can say is that is incredible police work. In that kind of situation, a lot of people would have just pulled the trigger. 

EDIT: The video is on twitter.....CDC doesn't support tweets?

can you post the link?

It's a terror attack in the sense it was senseless and against innocent public.

Whether it is politically/religiously driven remains to be seen.  To me, that's a TRUE terror attack as opposed to some disturbed nut job running amok.

Unfortunately, banning vehicles is not an option. Hopefully we can some up with some sort of system to combat people using trucks for these purposes as it seems to be becoming the flavour de jour.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

It's a terror attack in the sense it was senseless and against innocent public.

Whether it is politically/religiously driven remains to be seen.  To me, that's a TRUE terror attack as opposed to some disturbed nut job running amok.

Unfortunately, banning vehicles is not an option. Hopefully we can some up with some sort of system to combat people using trucks for these purposes as it seems to be becoming the flavour de jour.

No..no man you've got it all wrong according to some

Just wait, the same 3 people will be here momentarily to tell you how it is NOT a terror attack because it is not religiously or politically motivated just like they do with every mass shooting because it does not fit the dictionary definition of "terrorism"

Unless of course the driver is a Muslim in which case they'll of course agree with you even if he had no political or religious intentions.

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No..no man you've got it all wrong according to some

Just wait, the same 3 people will be here momentarily to tell you how it is NOT a terror attack because it is not religiously or politically motivated just like they do with every mass shooting because it does not fit the dictionary definition of "terrorism"

Unless of course the driver is a Muslim in which case they'll of course agree with you even if he had no political or religious intentions.

It's all in what one defines as a terrorist attack, and what an individual's personal wording is.  Semantics, really.

Sorry to say but I'd be the 4th in that group if it turns out this guy had motives outside of simply being nuts, and especially if he had actual ties in any way to known terror groups. I certainly would not say that if he simply was a Muslim, however.   I'd just chalk that up to a coincidence or perhaps the fact that Muslims are getting more and more oppressed so one would imagine there is some inherent bitterness there.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It's all in what one defines as a terrorist attack, and what an individual's personal wording is.  Semantics, really.

Sorry to say but I'd be the 4th in that group if it turns out this guy had motives outside of simply being nuts, and especially if he had actual ties in any way to known terror groups. I certainly would not say that if he simply was a Muslim, however.   I'd just chalk that up to a coincidence or perhaps the fact that Muslims are getting more and more oppressed so one would imagine there is some inherent bitterness there.

My comment is more how some people define terrorism based on their prejudices on this site.

Man opens fire in Vegas.  not a terrorist attack.  Man shoots 7 muslims at a mosque in Canada not an act of terror.  Man shoots 6 in african american congregation in the US not an act of terror.

African American shoots 4 officers, terrorist.  Sexually confused muslim shoots up a gay bar, terrorist.  Child shoots up school, mental issues.

If this person HAS an agenda than they are a terrorist.  As are any of the other terrorists in the examples I just posted.

I only post that as a counterpoint to the inevitable statements which will come.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

My comment is more how some people define terrorism based on their prejudices on this site.

Man opens fire in Vegas.  not a terrorist attack.  Man shoots 7 muslims at a mosque in Canada not an act of terror.  Man shoots 6 in african american congregation in the US not an act of terror.

African American shoots 4 officers, terrorist.  Sexually confused muslim shoots up a gay bar, terrorist.  Child shoots up school, mental issues.

If this person HAS an agenda than they are a terrorist.  As are any of the other terrorists in the examples I just posted.

I only post that as a counterpoint to the inevitable statements which will come.

Well again though, some view a "terrorist" as having an agenda that came from outside the country.

Who called an African American who shot 4 officers a terrorist?  To me, that's not necessarily a terrorist (by my own definition) unless that person did so as a result of following an outside group.  Nor do I think the Vegas shooter was a terrorist by my own definition. The guy who shot the congregation of black people... nuts?  Sure.  Evil?  You bet.  And horribly racist, of cousrse.  But "terrorist"?  Well, not by the definition of having been influenced by an outside entity.

Like I said though, it's totally subjective and ambiguous.  I think there is more ammunition to claim all of these are so-called terrorist attacks than by my own definition involving outside influence.  Terror is terror no matter what.  But I'll stick to what *I* call a terrorist just because that's the context in which I've always referred to it.

As a side note: If someone declares someone is a terrorist simply because the person in question had a different religion or skin colour, then I would, by my own definition, call them a racist.

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well again though, some view a "terrorist" as having an agenda that came from outside the country.

Who called an African American who shot 4 officers a terrorist?  To me, that's not necessarily a terrorist (by my own definition) unless that person did so as a result of following an outside group.  Nor do I think the Vegas shooter was a terrorist by my own definition. The guy who shot the congregation of black people... nuts?  Sure.  Evil?  You bet.  And horribly racist, of cousrse.  But "terrorist"?  Well, not by the definition of having been influenced by an outside entity.

Like I said though, it's totally subjective and ambiguous.  I think there is more ammunition to claim all of these are so-called terrorist attacks than by my own definition involving outside influence.  Terror is terror no matter what.  But I'll stick to what *I* call a terrorist just because that's the context in which I've always referred to it.

As a side note: If someone declares someone is a terrorist simply because the person in question had a different religion or skin colour, then I would, by my own definition, call them a racist.

I myself call anyone ANYONE who intends to cause as much harm and devastation as possible a terrorist.  They intend to hurt harm, scare or generally terrorize people.  It's sad that so many people are so divided that religion and skin colour now plays an important part of what they consider criminal.

As of now there are 9 dead and I believe 12 to 16 injured (or 16 total hit) and every single time I look at that story I keep seeing the same comments.  It's incredibly sad 

As for the black guy who gunned down cops a while back.  There's a thread for it I'd rather not look at again

Archived