The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van strikes multiple pedestrians in Toronto (9 confirmed fatalities, 16 injured)

25 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How could anyone say it isn't terrorism when he drove a vehicle into people on a sidewalk?   If he intended to do that, what the hell difference does it make what religion he has?    It is terrorism.../story.

Sadly, I argue your EXACT side endlessly.  Only to have people inform me endlessly with very contrite arrogance that 

Unless they had a political or religious motivation it's not terrorism.

Only to then immediately claim acts like this...are terrorist acts.

because ethnicity and religious beliefs matter depending on your bias to those people.

This for me, was an act of terrorism.  Period

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

I think it depends on how one defines the word. As per the most prevalent definition terrorism only refers to acts of violence committed to further political aims. A guy like Paddock isn't considered to be a terrorist under this definition which I disagree with. In any case I advocate that people use the word as they see fit rather than stick with the "official" definition. 

I don't think being Webster's pedantic makes sense when someone kills innocent people in such a terrorizing manner.   For the people involved or witnessing that event, it was terrorizing.   If not labeling it as such is important to some, then let them have that important to them.   To those present, I am sure they could give a rat's azz what it was called but I am sure they will all agree they were terrorized.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Clearly he’s a crazy.  Do we know his motivation for such an act of violence? 

Yes, some form of mental illness is often the case but referring to him as 'crazy' means often no effort is made at understanding who this person was and what led him to do this. The same goes when people refer to mass murderers as "animals". Dehumanizing them doesn't help us understand them any better. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Sadly, I argue your EXACT side endlessly.  Only to have people inform me endlessly with very contrite arrogance that 

because ethnicity and religious beliefs matter depending on your bias to those people.

All I can think is those you argue with have either never experience anything similar or are simply politically motivated themselves into a bias that their narrative is impacted if they agreed with you.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sorry then sir, please accept my apologies.  The news pushes a specific bias without question depending on what you watch.  But by and large I was pleased with the initial coverage and almost shocked by the vitriol and open bigotry in the comments in the live feed

Left/Right extreme is extreme

Why I love CBC. The tend to report the facts and offer varying opinions on editorial content. 

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

Yes, some form of mental illness is often the case but referring to him as 'crazy' means often no effort is made at understanding who this person was and what led him to do this. The same goes when people refer to mass murderers as "animals". Dehumanizing them doesn't help us understand them any better. 

True enough, but his actions weren’t exactly sane.  I see us as the animals we are. 

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

An insult to all animals really.

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Agreed. I wasn't sure of something specific in the definition so I looked it up and lo and behold:
image.png.092c9260809863d47bd0d7a3aa87eb1d.png

I take issue with the fact that it has to be fueled by political aim. Sometimes $&!#e people do $&!#e things for $&!#e reasons and there is no greater meaning to be derrived from the action.

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why do we get hung up on the term terrorism.  Why does that matter really.  It’s murder......

whether it it is mental illness or religion.

To me, putting the label of terrorism on it just is another division between the right and the left.....

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

First, great job by the cop... even though he would have been justified in shooting that guy anyway.

Second, what the F*** is with the three morons in the background just walking through a police standoff. It takes a certain kind of person to do that. 

Welcome to Toronto, where the residents believe they and their city are the centre of the universe...

57 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Agreed. I wasn't sure of something specific in the definition so I looked it up and lo and behold:
image.png.092c9260809863d47bd0d7a3aa87eb1d.png

I take issue with the fact that it has to be fueled by political aim. Sometimes $&!#e people do $&!#e things for $&!#e reasons and there is no greater meaning to be derrived from the action.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

All I can think is those you argue with have either never experience anything similar or are simply politically motivated themselves into a bias that their narrative is impacted if they agreed with you.

The end result is no matter the persons religious affiliation, political leaning or motives.  They are committing an act of terror.  They are terrorising people.  They are committing an act of terror.

I mean, when a person has to take an act like this and find a way to argue otherwise it kind of speaks volumes about what and why they would do that

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Welcome to Toronto, where the residents believe they and their city are the centre of the universe...

They just scored an empty net goal...they'll be insufferable tonight.  Might actually get a pass from the rest of the country in light of these horrid events.  But the fans will be unbearable

3 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

They probably had no idea until after the fact. 

They were likely too self-absorbed to notice the cop shouting and holding a gun at a guy.  They finally did notice, but not until after they put themselves in danger.

Just now, Warhippy said:

They just scored an empty net goal...they'll be insufferable tonight.  Might actually get a pass from the rest of the country in light of these horrid events.  But the fans will be unbearable

It's a strange city.  Kind of like a pseudo-California city.  Very self absorbed and have very high opinions of themselves.  What happened today was very sad though.

As for their fans, I'm sure they'll trumpet to the world how great they are if they manage to win game 7.

Archived