The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My rebuild (trust the process)

Trades

Granny Hutton 2nd for Nick Ritchie or Granny 2nd for Nick Ritchie and Eat Eaves salary 

Tanev Goldy for Toronto 1st Kapanen

2019 3rd round pick for Adam lowry

Signings

John Carlson 5 years 7.5/8 million

Paul stasny 2 years 3.5

Ryan reaves 2 years 1.8

Ian cole 1 years 2 million 

LINEUP 2018

Sven Horvat boeser

Loui Stasny Virt/Ritchie

Lepisic Sutter Virt/Ritchie

gagner Lowry Reaves

Extra gaunce arch

Defence

Edler/Carlson

Del zotto/Gudbranson

Cole/Stetcher

extra pouliot

2018 draft 6th overall D Evan Bouchard depending on where Toronto picks fall D 6'4 Mattias Samuelsson

2019 Pray for Hughes 

Reaves is not fast enough for today's NHL.  There is a reason Pittsburgh traded him and LV benched him for first round against a heavy LA team.    You can get tough and fast for that kind of money.    Not sure why you have Leipsic in your lineup ahead of Pettersson.   Also think Motte is a more likely fourth line "stick" than either Gagner or "Reaves" and he plays plenty tough enough.   I don't mind the Stasny move.    Carlson signing, if it happened, would transform Vancouver considerably.

Ritchie is a slug who takes a LOT of bad penalties - pass.

Tanev is more valuable to us as a mentor for OJ imo.

Jets aren't getting rid of one of the best 4th line centers in the league for a 3rd rounder.

No to Carlson - he'll want a max contract and won't be worth it for over half of it's length. He had a career year and will NEVER achieve anywhere near those stats again.   His next contract will be "untradeable". 

Stastny - meh.....if Gags would've shown up this season he produces just as well imo. 

Reaves - meh, who's slow enough to play with him now.....? 

Cole - meh.....

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Reaves is not fast enough for today's NHL.  There is a reason Pittsburgh traded him and LV benched him for first round against a heavy LA team.    You can get tough and fast for that kind of money.    Not sure why you have Leipsic in your lineup ahead of Pettersson.   Also think Motte is a more likely fourth line "stick" than either Gagner or "Reaves" and he plays plenty tough enough.   I don't mind the Stasny move.    Carlson signing, if it happened, would transform Vancouver considerably.

i just don't think reaves is that bad of player and i agree Carlson should be huge target for van

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

How do all those trades and signings = trust the process?

When I saw the title I expected far fewer moves and far more rationale.

I do not have any of top prospects up as there in ahl not being rushed and it is few moves that are needed to stop this team from being so soft and to protect our young guys which we're gonna need 

9 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Tanev Goldy for Toronto 1st Kapanen

Is Kapanen waiver exempt next year?  I do not believe so.  I also do not believe he is a significant upgrade on Goldobin. He is faster, kills some penalties. Has scored less in the NHL, but called upon to score less.  A Marlies afficianado could tell us if he has successfully been transformed into a strong two way player.  And my real point, is that portion of the deal appears a was to me.

So its Tanev for a first?  Many would take that (!!!) Popular opinion probably as point of fact. Does not matter. I would probably keep Tanev considering the current development status of our D. Implode into an abys like the Oilers, defenceless for ten, 15 years, who knows when they will come out the other end...

9 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Granny Hutton 2nd for Nick Ritchie or Granny 2nd for Nick Ritchie and Eat Eaves salary

I'm not a Ritchie fan.  I understand why he appeals to some people. Don Cherry is popular too. He's not bad either? I just don't feel we want to get any slower.  

I also don't see a need for them to clear Eaves salary. They have plenty of expiring deals. Including Bieksa, Beachemin. Vermette. Maybe we can pry a draft pick out of them for some warm bodies, like Granlund? That part of the plan works. Nothing wrong with the value you proposed there either. And similarly, they will wish to keep Ritchie, just not to turn over what semblance of youth they have. Not because their NHL youth is doing bad? Because they have finally started to bleed off (graduate might be a better term) a once strong supply of prospects. 

10 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Signings

John Carlson 5 years 7.5/8 million

Paul stasny 2 years 3.5

Ryan reaves 2 years 1.8

Ian cole 1 years 2 million

All good targets.

I agree with Rob Z that we would b lucky to get Carlson. I don't see why it makes sense for him to come here at this stage? I don't believe Statsny will be that cheap either? So like, and believe possible???

I like the Cole signing for depth. 

Reaves, great,  if he understands that he needs to check like Dorsett, not beat up guys like Dorsett as his primary focus. Although we could use that component. He has the athleticism to be fast is my biased opinion on genes @Rob_Zepp I used to know Reaves dad when Ryan was first born. He was an athlete par few! One of the quickest, most agile & powerful guys I had ever seen. I'd be surprised if it was not in him if, say Green made it clear that his role was to the leagues prominent fore checker.  He might need to adjust his training and mindset though?  And I am assuming he is close to the same athlete as his parent.

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Is Kapanen waiver exempt next year?  I do not believe so.  I also do not believe he is a significant upgrade on Goldobin. He is faster, kills some penalties. Has scored less in the NHL, but called upon to score less.  A Marlies afficianado could tell us if he has successfully been transformed into a strong two way player.  And my real point, is that portion of the deal appears a was to me.

So its Tanev for a first?  Many would take that (!!!) Popular opinion probably as point of fact. Does not matter. I would probably keep Tanev considering the current development status of our D. Implode into an abys like the Oilers, defenceless for ten, 15 years, who knows when they will come out the other end...

I'm not a Ritchie fan.  I understand why he appeals to some people. Don Cherry is popular too. He's not bad either? I just don't feel we want to get any slower.  

I also don't see a need for them to clear Eaves salary. They have plenty of expiring deals. Including Bieksa, Beachemin. Vermette. Maybe we can pry a draft pick out of them for some warm bodies, like Granlund? That part of the plan works. Nothing wrong with the value you proposed there either. And similarly, they will wish to keep Ritchie, just not to turn over what semblance of youth they have. Not because their NHL youth is doing bad? Because they have finally started to bleed off (graduate might be a better term) a once strong supply of prospects. 

All good targets.

I agree with Rob Z that we would b lucky to get Carlson. I don't see why it makes sense for him to come here at this stage? I don't believe Statsny will be that cheap either? So like, and believe possible???

I like the Cole signing for depth. 

Reaves, great,  if he understands that he needs to check like Dorsett, not beat up guys like Dorsett as his primary focus. Although we could use that component. He has the athleticism to be fast is my biased opinion on genes @Rob_Zepp I used to know Reaves dad when Ryan was first born. He was an athlete par few! One of the quickest, most agile & powerful guys I had ever seen. I'd be surprised if it was not in him if, say Green made it clear that his role was to the leagues prominent fore checker.  He might need to adjust his training and mindset though?  And I am assuming he is close to the same athlete as his parent.

I believe This is last summer we might be able get 1st for Tanev and if doing so we could hit 2 defense in the draft plus olli I believe our defence would catch up to forward prospect pool A dream scenario would having us selecting Bouchard and Wilde and Ritchie is in same situation as virtanen hasn't really been given a good chance in Top 6 the games iv watched he's been really solid and plays game hard which we don't have much of and I'd loved see him stuff people faces when they took runs at boeser or Elias 

Well at least this proposal doesn't include signing Kane...

I like Granlund as a third liner, PK, move up the roster kinda guy

If you want bigger bodies, they have to be able to skate and contribute either defensively or offensively

Stastny has been regressing for years, IK would pass. But I doubt Winnipeg gives up on Stastny as he has fit in pretty well... who knows he is pricey

Carlson is a nice thought... we are missing an offensive Dman badly... Gamble is that he plays on a great line... Hard call...

5 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

I believe This is last summer we might be able get 1st for Tanev and if doing so we could hit 2 defense in the draft plus olli I believe our defence would catch up to forward prospect pool A dream scenario would having us selecting Bouchard and Wilde and Ritchie is in same situation as virtanen hasn't really been given a good chance in Top 6 the games iv watched he's been really solid and plays game hard which we don't have much of and I'd loved see him stuff people faces when they took runs at boeser or Elias 

If we can get a 15-20 pick?  I might consider really hard. And popular opinion among some is we will get that plus a 2knd or 3rd, or a mid prospect.

27th or 30th?  Only if the guy I want is on the board, while at the table. Odd's are only in the 20% range, less actually, late in the first you get an impact player.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If we can get a 15-20 pick?  I might consider really hard. And popular opinion among some is we will get that plus a 2knd or 3rd, or a mid prospect.

27th or 30th?  Only if the guy I want is on the board, while at the table. Odd's are only in the 20% range, less actually, late in the first you get an impact player.

Yes I am hoping Toronto loses tom because they are perfect partners for tanev and losing in 1st round is really gonna show them they need another top 4 defencemen 

2 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Yes I am hoping Toronto loses tom because they are perfect partners for tanev and losing in 1st round is really gonna show them they need another top 4 defencemen 

I voted in a beer on this post. I'll drink to that anyway!

With so many bubble players in our line up and the potential emergence of youth, it's very difficult to ascertain what we should be looking for in free agency.

Pouliot, Stetcher, Granlund, Baertschi, and Virtanen are all ufa's which JB seems reluctant to part with, leaving little room for any additions.

We also have players like Leipsic, Goldobin, and Sautner who have shown signs of coming into their own and have earned another season to truly show they belong.

Imo, there are too many questions, in hand, to entertain free agents at this time. 

The one player you've brought up that would intrigue me is Nick Ritchie. He would bring a dynamic to our line-up we, badly, need. Oldschool physicality. Watching Horvat getting hammered and the lack of pushback was disturbing  He does not come without his flaws but he'd still be a valuable addition to a team in need of his talents.  It must also be noted that he is only 22 and still has time to mature his game before we are, truly, ready to contend again. I see Horvat and Boeser being a good match for him. In this line, I see Ritchie becoming more than he is now, in a complementary role.

With what he brings, I'd find it hard to believe they'd be interested in a couple underperforming players like Granlund and Hutton. Perhaps Baertschi? They'd be trading physicality for skill and us going the other way.

Sven Baertschi for Nick Ritchie in a straight up deal.

Archived