The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Winnipeg fans blocked from buying tickets to NHL playoff games in Nashville

VanGnome

7 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Dont know if it would work in Vancouver. A large portion of the building when it was full was made up of people that where there because it was the place to be not because they had any interest or knowledge in/of hockey (half the people in the lower bowl on their phones for most of the game or taking selfies etc). Dont think you would see the same type of crowd atmosphere as in the places you mentioned. 

Yeah that phone thing is definitely an issue that will surely be a cause of some rethinking of live entertainment.

Like him or not, Jon Bon Jovi said he stopped doing concerts because he was staring at thousands of phones; not faces.

On 2018-04-26 at 3:48 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I love this and wish we'd do it.

HATE when the crowd in our arena is a bunch of half hearted whoever fans.  Flavours of the week.  Weed 'em out.

Incredible idea, and I've suggested it before.

The Canucks would also be well served in reserving sporadic seats at a much lower price and invite the people who can’t afford those expensive tickets. They bring energy and interest to the game And the rest of the crowd. They would surely watch the game and cheer, for such an event to them is rare.

The arena was invented to assemble the people, whatever their level of income. How far have we strayed away from our core values.

Winnipeg's gonna sweep you at home anyway.

More Preds fans present means more direct pain for your fanbase.

Part of me doesn't like this kind of protectionist crap in a 'free market' - and have to wonder what the overall effect of this would be if all teams resorted to this.

Also have to wonder what the hotels, bars, restaurants - the tourist industry - in Nashville thinks of this?

I dunno.   I hate the Leafs and Habs invasion of Vancouver games, particularly when they're as noisy as the home team's fans - but a large part of that is simply on the timid, quiet, passive fanbase here.  Vancouver 'culture' needs to step it up imo.  The difference between their team 'spirit' in a playoff run, or Sedin retirement ceremony and a regular game is EXTREME.  Winnipeg on the other hand is no doubt in part driven by the energy in their building.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:49 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

problem is we have too many closet original 6 fans who live in Vancouver, the area code thing would never work here 

I just wonder how does one police this with local fans?

Out of town fans trying to buy tickets, sure it becomes easier, provided that they don't have a local person buying the tickets.

Do the ushers do strip searches at the door? "Hey you, you're wearing some red, white and blue striped underwear! Get out of here you Habs fans, you!!!" "Wait a minute ma'am, your hair is blue! Are you a Leafs' supporter?"

Ultimately, I don't really care. If the fans of the home town team can't afford tickets, or isn't interested enough to buy a ticket, then the ownership should sell them to whoever wants one. And if the home town crowd in attendance doesn't like the other team's fans chanting, then that should be inspiration to shout them down. It's called cheering.

Or, it could be like what we often hear going to a game in Vancouver is like, just be a building full of Canucks fans sitting on their hands. That sure sounds like fun.

regards,  G.

12 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I just wonder how does one police this with local fans?

Out of town fans trying to buy tickets, sure it becomes easier, provided that they don't have a local person buying the tickets.

Do the ushers do strip searches at the door? "Hey you, you're wearing some red, white and blue striped underwear! Get out of here you Habs fans, you!!!" "Wait a minute ma'am, your hair is blue! Are you a Leafs' supporter?"

Ultimately, I don't really care. If the fans of the home town team can't afford tickets, or isn't interested enough to buy a ticket, then the ownership should sell them to whoever wants one. And if the home town crowd in attendance doesn't like the other team's fans chanting, then that should be inspiration to shout them down. It's called cheering.

Or, it could be like what we often hear going to a game in Vancouver is like, just be a building full of Canucks fans sitting on their hands. That sure sounds like fun.

regards,  G.

I think the arena atmosphere has been getting better over the last year, I see fewer and fewer cell phone jockeys and to me at least it seems like the crowds are much more into it particularly when the Larscheiders are doing their thing. 

But I do think the number of O-6 fans is a real issue, but like you say I don't know what you can do. A lot of that is season ticket holders who try to get some cash back on selling a few seats per year.

Thats why i'm really hoping Linden makes the Larscheiders a permanent thing somehow, it really helps to get the Canucks fans going. 

Archived