The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award finalists unveiled

2018 Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of those guys doesn't belong in the same breath as the other three...and the other three are called Engelland, Simmonds and Wheeler.

This is my least favourite NHL award.

The Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award has been awarded since 2006-07 and is awarded "to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice during the regular season." Suggestions for nominees are solicited from fans, clubs and NHL personnel, but the selection of the three finalists and the ultimate winner is made by Messier, one of the finest leaders in NHL history; the six-time Stanley Cup champion is one of three players to have captained three teams (Edmonton, N.Y. Rangers, Vancouver).

Just now, Vanuckles said:

I didn't know the winner just gets picked by Messier... what kind of award is that? Are there any other awards where the winner just gets chosen by one guy...?

It's the only one I know of.  I think it started out as a sponsor promotion and not an actual award.

Or it becomes the Mark Messier NHL burndownafranchise award. This year's nominee's:

- Milan Lucic (Oilers)

- Eugene Melnyk (Senators)

- Carey Price (Canadiens)

Honorable mentions: Matt Duchene (Senators), Scott Darling (Hurricanes)

30 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not to mention that there's already the King Clancy Memorial Trophy.

Redundant award is redundant, chosen by a dunce.  Meaningless.

don't be like that

i heard rumour that the next award already is being planned

will be the bettman leadership-weasel award

and he'll have the sole voting rights as well

will be such a meaningful award :P

i think marchand is a shoo in to be the first winner

3 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Mark Messier has an award named after him and Gretzky doesn't. Something wrong with that.

Gretzky never captained two different teams to a cup.

It's a shame the team around him wasn't better when he was here, but management was an absolute disaster, and he was like 36-37 years old with very left to prove as a hockey player. Still had 60 points as a 36 year old; better than either Sedin.

Archived