The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award finalists unveiled

2018 Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Wheeler, a guy who started swinging at a teammate in practice, is nominated for good leadership? 

You can't stoop any lower with this 'award'.

It is the "Mark Messier" award.  So sure, why not?

Linden has been chopped down. He's crawling towards the bench, Lindens been injured. Now he's hit again by Messier, going to the bench. Messier hit Linden when he was down, on his knees

Hitting an already injured, defenseless player while they are crawling on their knees back to the bench.....                  "Leader"??

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It is the "Mark Messier" award.  So sure, why not?

Linden has been chopped down. He's crawling towards the bench, Lindens been injured. Now he's hit again by Messier, going to the bench. Messier hit Linden when he was down, on his knees

Hitting an already injured, defenseless player while they are crawling on their knees back to the bench.....                  "Leader"??

I suppose it's fitting. 

Just adds to the whole embarrassment of this thing.

Most ironically named award in any sport.  Laziest pile of garbage to ever play for the franchise and an classless piece of trash off the ice.  The only time I'll be happy to see his name is in an obituary.  I'd be embarrassed to win any award named after this abomination.

I respect Messier less than what comes out of me after a night of 99 cent tacos wile drinking Cariboo.

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Most ironically named award in any sport.  Laziest pile of garbage to ever play for the franchise and an classless piece of trash off the ice.  The only time I'll be happy to see his name is in an obituary.  I'd be embarrassed to win any award named after this abomination.

I respect Messier less than what comes out of me after a night of 99 cent tacos wile drinking Cariboo.

Well written. But your still being to kind to Messier. Lol.

Why not the Jean Beliveau award? 

10 Stanley Cups

Art Ross Trophy Winner

2 x Hart Trophy Winner

1 x Smythe Trophy Winner.

Almost Universal Acclaim and Respect among the NHL (Unlike Messier).

As Bowtie put it correctly. Mess gets an award and Gretzky doesn't?

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Unsung guys for sure.  Could name it for Larry Robinson.

Could def see it. There are so many awards dominated by forwards so it'd be nice if the rearguards got more recognition. The Norris has kind of turned into a points race/popularity contest.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Could def see it. There are so many awards dominated by forwards so it'd be nice if the rearguards got more recognition. The Norris has kind of turned into a points race/popularity contest.

Yeah although Burns is fantastic defensively as well at least with his big reach.  Hoping Hedman wins this year as another guy who can do it all.

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah although Burns is fantastic defensively as well at least with his big reach.  Hoping Hedman wins this year as another guy who can do it all.

I'll be surprised if Hedman doesn't win it tbh, and Burns was def deserving.

The players who win the Norris are generally great in their own end too. I'd love to see an award or two for the D who gut it out game in and game out playing excellent defense, for the guys like Hamhuis, Mitchell and Tanev. I'd love to see more underdog awards in general too, something for the third and fourth liners of the world. Something akin to the Selke but maybe a little different, I dunno.

Also, I want a goddamn assist award. It's criminal that we've got one for goals but not assists. Hank and Jumbo would have dominated that award over the last decade.

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll be surprised if Hedman doesn't win it tbh, and Burns was def deserving.

The players who win the Norris are generally great in their own end too. I'd love to see an award or two for the D who gut it out game in and game out playing excellent defense, for the guys like Hamhuis, Mitchell and Tanev. I'd love to see more underdog awards in general too, something for the third and fourth liners of the world. Something akin to the Selke but maybe a little different, I dunno.

Also, I want a goddamn assist award. It's criminal that we've got one for goals but not assists. Hank and Jumbo would have dominated that award over the last decade.

So maybe best defensive D-man under 30 points or so?  I'd love to see the players vote an award for the best 3rd or 4th liner.

Stuff like this is why it was so cool to see John Scott at the all-star game.  Look no further than Sutter to see how badly these guys are underappreciated. 

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So maybe best defensive D-man under 30 points or so?  I'd love to see the players vote an award for the best 3rd or 4th liner.

Stuff like this is why it was so cool to see John Scott at the all-star game.  Look no further than Sutter to see how badly these guys are underappreciated. 

I'd def be down for that. And yeah, I agree. Awards voted on by players are really neat. Could have seen Malhotra or Hansen as a contender for something like that back in the day.

And definitely, the John Scott game was the only time that event has ever been memorable for me. It was neat seeing Boeser win and all but it wasn't the same.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This award really needs to be punted as it just seems its there to feed Mess' massive ego. 

Maybe Mess lobbied the NHL with millions of dollars he made from Lays commercial to make up a new award in his honor.

I don't get this one. Removing my Canucks fan bias, I know that Messier was a great player. But is Messier that great? To not only have an award named after him but also to be the one that chooses the winner?

Archived