The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs to sign C Par Lindholm

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gaunce earned his spot already.  Plus, why give a roster spot to a 26 year old guy from Europe, who might only be a tiny bit better than Cassels?

C'mon Alf, I am a Gaunce fan and even I would say the Canucks should bring in internal competition to ensure Gaunce and others earn their spot on the team. How can any of us say that a player with 5 goals and 12 assists in 114 NHL games has already earned a spot on the team?

Just now, Captain Azzy said:

Gaunce has earned nothing - other than the 13th forward spot.

As for Cassels, he's never going to play an NHL game. He's an AHL lifer. So any guy who can score at nearly a PPG in Sweden is clearly going to have a better shot than him.

I agree this Par guy is likely (a little) better than Gaunce and Cassels.  How does it serve us any good, though, to improve to just missing the playoffs, and getting an even lower draft pick?  We accomplish getting to the middle, get a mediocre pick, and our youth gets less development.  I don't see any positives signing these guys, unless we were already rebuilt, and we were tinkering - which we're not.  

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

C'mon Alf, I am a Gaunce fan and even I would say the Canucks should bring in internal competition to ensure Gaunce and others earn their spot on the team. How can any of us say that a player with 5 goals and 12 assists in 114 NHL games has already earned a spot on the team?

I agree this Par guy is likely (a little) better than Gaunce and Cassels.  How does it serve us any good, though, to improve to just missing the playoffs, and getting an even lower draft pick?  We accomplish getting to the middle, get a mediocre pick, and our youth gets less development.  I don't see any positives signing these guys, unless we were already rebuilt, and we were tinkering - which we're not.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Okay if it's only a one year deal.  Still would rather see our young guys play.  Why not let Gaunce, or Cassels, or Granlund play center next season?  Let our young guys, who are going to actually be part of our next group get the experience. 

leave Gaunce on Sutter's wing on the shutdown line

I like Cassels, but he's still only 22 and no need to rush him into a tough, bottom six role at the NHL level.

Granlund - fine to play him at C, but even so the team still needs another center.

No harm at all in giving a guy like this an opportunity to earn a spot.

I think they'll need to add at least a center - otherwise you're committed to playing a young forward in that role, while already having a young group.

Bring in Lindholm, and/or possibly a Richardson, Beagle, Vermette, Ryan, Grant, Stajan type to compete with him for the spot - and stabilize the bottom six / make life easier on your youth - and let the chips fall.

Just now, Alflives said:

Philly moved up from 13th to 2nd, did they not? Finishing just outside the playoffs need not hurt. Benning drafts well. EP comes in, Dahlen's getting there, a step up for a few others and playoffs is entirely possible. I want the team to improve every day, not jist once a year on draft day. And let's face it, would you rather have this guy...or Tyler Bozak?

Just now, oldnews said:

leave Gaunce on Sutter's wing on the shutdown line

I like Cassels, but he's still only 22 and no need to rush him into a tough, bottom six role at the NHL level.

Granlund - fine to play him at C, but even so the team still needs another center.

No harm at all in giving a guy like this an opportunity to earn a spot.

I think they'll need to add at least a center - otherwise you're committed to playing a young forward in that role, while already having a young group.

Bring in Lindholm, and/or possibly a Richardson, Beagle, Vermette, Ryan, Grant, Stajan type to compete with him for the spot - and stabilize the bottom six / make life easier on your youth - and let the chips fall.

I have concerns we sign guys like this, who only get us to mediocre.  I think that's what happened in WD's first season.  We signed a bunch of UFA's who got us to the playoffs, but we were really a facade.  

1 minute ago, Captain Azzy said:

Philly moved up from 13th to 2nd, did they not? Finishing just outside the playoffs need not hurt. Benning drafts well. EP comes in, Dahlen's getting there, a step up for a few others and playoffs is entirely possible. I want the team to improve every day, not jist once a year on draft day. And let's face it, would you rather have this guy...or Tyler Bozak?

I'd much rather have neither, but Bozak for sure if I had to have one.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So you would rather see a Gaunce or Cassels settimg up players like Dahlen, Virtanen, Goldobin, etc? How will that help their development? Wouldn't you rather have the best option available, whoever that is, bring out the best in those guys? 

Players get better by playing with better players and players almost always get worse when they are given spots on the team without earning them.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

So you would rather see a Gaunce or Cassels settimg up players like Dahlen, Virtanen, Goldobin, etc? How will that help their development? Wouldn't you rather have the best option available, whoever that is, bring out the best in those guys? 

Players get better by playing with better players and players almost always get worse when they are given spots on the team without earning them.

i want us to draft and develop our own guys to set up Dahlen, Virtanen, and Goldobin.  Those guys, most often, come from the top of the draft.  I want us to get at least close to being rebuilt before signing these fringe UFA's.  They will only get us to mediocre, and we're not rebuilt yet.  IMHAO, of course.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I have concerns we sign guys like this, who only get us to mediocre.  I think that's what happened in WD's first season.  We signed a bunch of UFA's who got us to the playoffs, but we were really a facade.  

Just out of curiosity, are you expecting the Canucks to skip the "mediocre" stage and move directly to the Cup contender stage from where we are today? How many years do you think we need high draft picks to go that route?

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Just out of curiosity, are you expecting the Canucks to skip the "mediocre" stage and move directly to the Cup contender stage from where we are today? How many years do you think we need high draft picks to go that route?

As long as the young guys are carrying our team then I'm okay with where we finish.  I look at the Leafs, and they were carried by guys who will not be there long term.  How does that help their future?  They are so screwed.  We need more younger guys, and that comes (most often) through top draft picks, not mediocre ones. We don't want to get to average on the back of older players.  We want to get where we get with our youth leading, and then we can see what we have with those young players.  Maybe they aren't good enough to be a Cup level team?  Then we can cut bait, and move on to the next group.  Otherwise, signing older guys doesn't allow to really see what we have with our youth.  We could be stuck in mediocrity for a decade, only (at the end) realizing the young guys we had were never really the ones leading, but rather it was all those older guys we kept bringing in.  We need to establish a young core group first, then bring in the older guys; not the other way around.  IMHAO, of course.:)

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As long as the young guys are carrying our team then I'm okay with where we finish.  I look at the Leafs, and they were carried by guys who will not be there long term.  How does that help their future?  They are so screwed.  We need more younger guys, and that comes (most often) through top draft picks, not mediocre ones. We don't want to get to average on the back of older players.  We want to get where we get with our youth leading, and then we can see what we have with those young players.  Maybe they aren't good enough to be a Cup level team?  Then we can cut bait, and move on to the next group.  Otherwise, signing older guys doesn't allow to really see what we have with our youth.  We could be stuck in mediocrity for a decade, only (at the end) realizing the young guys we had were never really the ones leading, but rather it was all those older guys we kept bringing in.  We need to establish a young core group first, then bring in the older guys; not the other way around.  IMHAO, of course.:)

I surrender.................

Related image

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd much rather have neither, but Bozak for sure if I had to have one.

You would take 32 year old Tyler Bozak, on something like 5 years $4.5m AAV, over Lindholm on a 1 or 2 year less than $1m deal?

And you're actually a Canucks fan?

He would be a good option for Utica along with Chaput. They really needed more centers this year and those two could be good players for them as well as good options for a call up. 

I'd be pretty surprised if this is who we're replacing Henrik with at center. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Okay if it's only a one year deal.  Still would rather see our young guys play.  Why not let Gaunce, or Cassels, or Granlund play center next season?  Let our young guys, who are going to actually be part of our next group get the experience. 

thats not mutually exclusive, they can be on the same line and can split the draws.

I like this a lot better than having to pay a guy into his late 30s in free agency. 

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not going to happen.

Considering he plays for the team that Vaxjo just spanked, no doubt he'd love to come in for a chance to centre Pettersson.

Pettersson Lindholm Eriksson.  Makes sense to me. 

13 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I surrender.................

Related image

too funny!  I'm okay with this guy too.  Heck, maybe he's the missing piece to the puzzle?  I just don't want us to go the way of the Leafs, and get to mediocre:(

Archived