The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs to sign C Par Lindholm

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Last year in summer I questioned a rebound from Sutter. Not because I doubted Sutter?  Because I was unsure who would be a fit as a shutdown partner. 

Green started with Jake & Dorsett partnered with Sutter. Soon after Dorsett and Granlund. By the end of the year Archie, Leipsic, Motte, Ericsson had all had a go at shut down duties. Am I missing anyone? Burmistrov... Most were coached into being quite successful. Surprisingly so! I was more impressed with that, than any other component of Green's coaching. Except in stretches where Sutter & Bo were hurt, we shut down top lines, free'd Bo & Boeser & Vanek & the Twins for O'zone starts. Archie added hits, some snarl. Gaunce was better at actual suppression though. 15% Offensive zone starts but still almost accomplished a positive Corsi, was better than many on the team. Gaunce has hands of stone, can't score, and little flash. But he actually rates very well. Your letting the Don Cherry in you wish for big goals and big hits.  However I think Green can coach any who work hard into being good at that role. 

Except Bpucher & Goldy. The next evolution is who can do it & produce?

We are probably on the same page thinking that Green has been very good.  Guys that should develop have done so under him.  Jake and Goldy got better as the season went on and that has to be the coach getting his message across and working with the kids.  It never gets talked about but for me linden and Benning hit a home run with Green.  He is a massive upgrade on Willie.  Things are black and white with Green and that is what hockey players expect these days.  If they suck they want to know why.

I like Gaunce a little bit for the reasons you mention, but a little doesn't cut it in the show.  Gaunce if he wants to stay in the NHL has to be better.   He wasn't a guy that Green preferred to play.  That is telling.  Gaunce hopefully this off season steps it up and realizes that his first rounder status doesn't mean anything anymore.  I have been one of those fans that has always kept my eye on Gaunce hoping for more.

As for Archie adds he a lot more than hits and snarls.  If you watch his play he is very strong down low, good along the boards, a body in front of the net and what is more his positioning, stick and overall hockey sense is NHL level. And for a big guy his speed is decent.  But shouldn't that be expected from a 28 year old.  Archie as a bottom six, pk shutdown guy just has a better overall game then guys who might play with Sutter.  The one guy who i thought really looked promising and looks good down in Utica is Motte.   

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nah, looked like his nose was bust & he might even have been out cold before he bounced his face a 2knd time off the ice.

If this was the Player Safety Dept NHL, that would be a suspension. I don't believe he intentionally targeted his head, went for a shoulder hit. But he certainly hit it.  

But yeah, you love the enthusiasm to play physical.

not a suspension at all.  contact is to the chest.   some of those players in the SHL are not used to hitting.  This is an example of hitting through someone. 

51 minutes ago, samurai said:

We are probably on the same page thinking that Green has been very good.  Guys that should develop have done so under him.  Jake and Goldy got better as the season went on and that has to be the coach getting his message across and working with the kids.  It never gets talked about but for me linden and Benning hit a home run with Green.  He is a massive upgrade on Willie.  Things are black and white with Green and that is what hockey players expect these days.  If they suck they want to know why.

I like Gaunce a little bit for the reasons you mention, but a little doesn't cut it in the show.  Gaunce if he wants to stay in the NHL has to be better.   He wasn't a guy that Green preferred to play.  That is telling.  Gaunce hopefully this off season steps it up and realizes that his first rounder status doesn't mean anything anymore.  I have been one of those fans that has always kept my eye on Gaunce hoping for more.

As for Archie adds he a lot more than hits and snarls.  If you watch his play he is very strong down low, good along the boards, a body in front of the net and what is more his positioning, stick and overall hockey sense is NHL level. And for a big guy his speed is decent.  But shouldn't that be expected from a 28 year old.  Archie as a bottom six, pk shutdown guy just has a better overall game then guys who might play with Sutter.  The one guy who i thought really looked promising and looks good down in Utica is Motte.   

I have wanted time for Gaunce to develop but like everyone on the Canucks their will be an influx of younger players who could bump him and Archibald. I thought Gaunce was actually starting to score more often before his injury. If he had not been getting opportunities I would have been more negative. A tad more snarl would help as well. Both he and Archie have size and decent speed. I think they get next year to prove out which will allow a development time line for those in Utica. Granlund becomes a question in this process. I see him as a 3rd line option as he has shown a scoring ability. Decent d-side coverage. Again his spot is threatened by depth. 

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Last year in summer I questioned a rebound from Sutter. Not because I doubted Sutter?  Because I was unsure who would be a fit as a shutdown partner. 

Green started with Jake & Dorsett partnered with Sutter. Soon after Dorsett and Granlund. By the end of the year Archie, Leipsic, Motte, Ericsson had all had a go at shut down duties. Am I missing anyone? Burmistrov... Most were coached into being quite successful. Surprisingly so! I was more impressed with that, than any other component of Green's coaching. Except in stretches where Sutter & Bo were hurt, we shut down top lines, free'd Bo & Boeser & Vanek & the Twins for O'zone starts. Archie added hits, some snarl. Gaunce was better at actual suppression though. 15% Offensive zone starts but still almost accomplished a positive Corsi, was better than many on the team. Gaunce has hands of stone, can't score, and little flash. But he actually rates very well. Your letting the Don Cherry in you wish for big goals and big hits.  However I think Green can coach any who work hard into being good at that role. 

Except Bpucher & Goldy. The next evolution is who can do it & produce?

Gaunce is the F version of Tanev.  He is extremely reliable on the shutdown line and PK.  There's a reason Green had him playing big minutes in most games.   The pressure is on Gaunce to keep his job in October, so I suspect he will be working hard this summer to improve his physical game. 

Gaunce   Sutter   Motte/Archi  would be a good shutdown line.

It amazes me how a "borderline"  NHL player [I am being generous here] like Gaunce creeps his way onto every forum.   

I am fearful a lot of people are going to be very upset and outraged if he doesn't make the big club in October.  

For those who have not seen him play live, he is a pretty physical player for SEL and has great wheels.    Seemed to take a few years to "figure out" how to harness his talents and keep his emotions in check.    He would translate well to NHL game but likely as a bottom 6 agitator with offensive upside based upon what I have seen.   Noted him past two summers as someone, like Holm, worth keeping an eye on.    Pretty sure Oilers, Bolts and Devils are also looking at him pretty hard so not sure why Canucks think they have inside track.  Do know that Gradin is high on him.

2 hours ago, samurai said:

not a suspension at all.  contact is to the chest.   some of those players in the SHL are not used to hitting.  This is an example of hitting through someone. 

:lol:  Do you watch SEL games?!    There is tons of hitting and the playoffs were arguably as chipping and hard hitting as the NHL this year.

27 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For those who have not seen him play live, he is a pretty physical player for SEL and has great wheels.    Seemed to take a few years to "figure out" how to harness his talents and keep his emotions in check.    He would translate well to NHL game but likely as a bottom 6 agitator with offensive upside based upon what I have seen.   Noted him past two summers as someone, like Holm, worth keeping an eye on.    Pretty sure Oilers, Bolts and Devils are also looking at him pretty hard so not sure why Canucks think they have inside track.  Do know that Gradin is high on him.

Hey I am curious if you know what this guys height is? I have seen him listed anywhere from 5'11" to 6'3"...not sure what is the most accurate report.

54 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Hey I am curious if you know what this guys height is? I have seen him listed anywhere from 5'11" to 6'3"...not sure what is the most accurate report.

He’s not 5’11”.

That much is plain from watching any recent video.

SHL.se and his team website say he’s 190cm (6 feet and 2.8 inches, so round up to 6’3”).

Swedish scout Lars Lindgren calls him “a big, strong centre.”

I think it’s safe to say he’s either 6’2” or 6’3”. 

Interestingly, when you try to open his player page on SHL.se and the Skellefteå team site today, it’s a 404 error (not found). He was listed on those sites as recently as yesterday. Maybe nothing but could mean he’s signed to the NHL already.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

not sure why you think the Canucks think they have the inside track.

have the Canucks suggested that, or are you reading Eliotte Friedman types suggesting the team has a good shot at him as if speaking for the franchise?

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

not that it really matters much - because 5'11 or 6'2 is not going to define a player's performance, but of the accessible sources, hockeydb (generally a fairly good and frequently updated source) has him at 6'2 and 198lbs - whereas sites like wiki and eliteprospects can be hopelessly dated information.

33 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s not 5’11”.

That much is plain from watching any recent video.

SHL.se and his team website say he’s 190cm (6 feet and 2.8 inches, so round up to 6’3”).

Swedish scout Lars Lindgren calls him “a big, strong centre.”

I think it’s safe to say he’s either 6’2” or 6’3”. 

Interestingly, when you try to open his player page on SHL.se and the Skellefteå team site today, it’s a 404 error (not found). He was listed on those sites as recently as yesterday. Maybe nothing but could mean he’s signed to the NHL already.

Thanks Sid. I haven't had the opportunity to see him play live. So I wasn't sure what to believe...

57 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Thanks Sid. I haven't had the opportunity to see him play live. So I wasn't sure what to believe...

No problem. One of those cases where the player sites can be pretty confusing due to updating issues.

I think he probably had a late growth spurt and added some height in his late teens and early twenties.

You can also get a sense of his build from the pics on google images. To my eye, he’s fairly long legged but also has a strong upper body. And his neck is nearly as thick as his head.

EDIT: some pics that show what I’m talking about:

24A6E186-ABBF-44FB-8FB0-F09FF2301C7B.jpeg.50fca47cd987a322c082d5ad1bc64a24.jpeg1430FE19-9214-40CE-B02D-747522F0F6AB.thumb.jpeg.2ea20122a329186731f182da8cb9ca3f.jpeg1A2735C9-8AEA-4DFB-A030-F02770F31D80.jpeg.66e7d3e598fbb274844d5d005a94bbc2.jpeg

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In Toronto right now, sizing up his Comets uni for tomorrow...

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No problem. One of those cases where the player sites can be pretty confusing due to updating issues.

I think he probably had a late growth spurt and added some height in his late teens and early twenties.

You can also get a sense of his build from the pics on google images. To my eye, he’s fairly long legged but also has a strong upper body. And his neck is nearly as thick as his head.

EDIT: some pics that show what I’m talking about:

24A6E186-ABBF-44FB-8FB0-F09FF2301C7B.jpeg.50fca47cd987a322c082d5ad1bc64a24.jpeg1430FE19-9214-40CE-B02D-747522F0F6AB.thumb.jpeg.2ea20122a329186731f182da8cb9ca3f.jpeg1A2735C9-8AEA-4DFB-A030-F02770F31D80.jpeg.66e7d3e598fbb274844d5d005a94bbc2.jpeg

Yeah he looks pretty solidly built. Thanks again...

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

:lol:  Do you watch SEL games?!    There is tons of hitting and the playoffs were arguably as chipping and hard hitting as the NHL this year.

On a bigger ice there is less impact.  I fly to Europe including Sweden many times a year and have for a very long time. Any chance I get to see some hockey I go.  I have seen a lot live. The SEL is not the NHL.  Good hockey mostly fun to watch but the NHL is at a different level for obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

What?  do you base this on?

Gaunce got 3 of the final 5 and one of those was because Archie had the flu - the final home game.  For the final Sedin game  Motte and Archie got the call over Gaunce.  Gaunce might have even gotten fewer games from Green if Motte hadn’t had the waiver issues.

Green for the final Sedin game iced his all star team and Guance was not on it. Very telling.  Will it matter in oct - no.  

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

not sure why you think the Canucks think they have the inside track.

have the Canucks suggested that, or are you reading Eliotte Friedman types suggesting the team has a good shot at him as if speaking for the franchise?

The OP posted Friedmans 31 thoughts. He mentioned Vancouver having a good shot.  #11

''Several NHL clubs were interested, but believe Vancouver has a good shot at him.''

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-decisions-31-thoughts/

Archived