The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now and then: CDC

-AJ-

On 6/4/2018 at 8:23 PM, :D said:

Used to be active, now just check in every so often.

Edit: August 2003... 15 years

Hey guy!

Still always remember that sweet Full House John Stamos rotating sig you made me. Don't think that sig would have had the green light on the forums these days HAHA.

On 2018-05-13 at 1:07 PM, diesel_3 said:

Oh ya, some of those names are a blast from the past. mr_greer wasn't mr green or mr bown or whatever that one dudes name was who dated carebear?

Those names are a total blast from the past! And I am stunned that my account still exists on here lol. I haven’t made a post since Towel Power died but it’s good to see so many familiar faces still lurking around. I was never a huge presence on here but I used to run the Predict the Score game! Good ol days

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Y'all are making me feel like a real newbie around here.

It was like the attitude era of WWE.

A lot of stuff was let go on these boards, White Noise was almost like a prison and the inmates ran the show.

Some of the content posted in threads would easily warrant bans today. Lots of great people around the same age with a common interest, was pretty cool how interactive everybody was. 

2005 was probably the last of that attitude era, then a new generation came in 06/07 :3 i was gone from here in 08-11 so thats a blur XD didn't sound like i missed much from that time. i remember shortly before i left a lot of the '03 old timers tried to take the forums back but the times changed so fast they died out and left/got banned

Joined at 15, will be 30 in a couple months. I started browsing the forums in late '03. I still remember going into White Noise for the first time and seeing the top thread.

Lisa Needs Braces

I thought it was stupid and would never come back. That changed.

I actually first joined in 2006, I was a stupid young teen and ended up banned by 2008. Came back in 2010, even though I lurked in the meantime, with this account because I couldn't remember my account details. So, I guess I've been here for about 12 years total, but only 8 years as BananaMash.

I think there used to be a lot more big personalities on the forum. Or, it felt like it at least. The Devil's Workday, Marinated Pea, @Twilight Sparkle, @g_bassi13, Octane, WiLBoY, Bucky Hermit, and I think @Mainly Mattias were all people I remember being really active in White Noise when it was still good/bumpin'. @:D was always around too. Oh, and Ambulocetus.

Then you had people like BertuzziBabe, Wings Imagery, Flinch, The Pauser, UkrainianCanuck, and a handful of others regularly posting things that people memed the hell out of. It was mean sometimes, but usually hilarious too.

The current state of the forum seems to have a lot less silliness going on regularly. Though, it's really cool to see some of the older members kicking around. When they pop out it's super nostalgic. There are definitely still quality moments here sometimes, though.

I’ve been on here almost 3.5 years now, which is peanuts compared to most of the regulars on cdc. It’s funny because when I joined I would’ve thought 3.5 years would never happen. It seemed impossible. I think CDC might be the greatest commitment I’ve made in my life. 

In that time not a whole hell of a lot has changed. I adopted a dog, such a handsome little boy. I started and stopped doing drugs (nothing crazy really). Ended the only real relationship I’ve ever been in. Lost a couple friends. And started a career that me of 3.5 years ago would’ve never thought possible (and my point about starting and stopping drugs would be a testament to that). I’m still the same guy, just sober and more outspoken. And with a cute dog. 

A true modern CDC memory for the modern ages: one time I totally forgot to reply to a @Sean Monahan PM, so I've just been flirting with his posts by +repping them for months in hopes that he doesn't hate me.

I remember the night you left @Scottish⑦Canuck. It was adorable and I still leik u.

15 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Sounds like the mods need to stop being such a bunch of prudes with WN. It was lit. Now it’s not lit. 

Yes and no. It did used to be more lenient, but it was only genuinely good because there were a lot of really interesting and active regulars that all knew each other. That doesn't seem to really be a thing anymore.

7 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

A true modern CDC memory for the modern ages: one time I totally forgot to reply to a @Sean Monahan PM, so I've just been flirting with his posts by +repping them for months in hopes that he doesn't hate me.

I remember the night you left @Scottish⑦Canuck. It was adorable and I still leik u.

Yes and no. It did used to be more lenient, but it was only genuinely good because there were a lot of really interesting and active regulars that all knew each other. That doesn't seem to really be a thing anymore.

Don’t think I don’t remember that, BM. I remember. Just a couple of bros talking about bro things (weightlifting) until you decided it was beneath you. 

And that’s the thing. I think cdc is by and large a great forum. I belong to another forum (weightlifting related) and it pales in comparison to cdc in terms of the activity level and the community feel. That said, it would be pretty cool if cdc could organize a night where a bunch of us go to a game or even go watch it at a bar (maybe The Pint, the Canucks official pub). Or something along those lines. I don’t know many people who geek out as hard as I do on the Canucks or even hockey in general so it would be fun to do. Put some faces to names. Cause right now my perception of people on here is weird. I still think of @theminister as looking like MLK even though I know it ain’t right. 

Once you get past the initial stigma and weirdness of meeting someone who you only really know as a forum persona it can be cool to meet people. But a lot of people are very reluctant to do so, which is somewhat understandable. I started playing on the Xbox with a few posters from another forum and met them a few months later to watch some hockey in Glasgow and get a pint or two. They're a good laugh and actually probably among my closer friends at the moment. 

Actually, I just remembered that I have met someone from this forum before. It was a ******* nightmare :lol: No offence if said person is reading this, although I haven't seen them on here for quite some time.

2 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Once you get past the initial stigma and weirdness of meeting someone who you only really know as a forum persona it can be cool to meet people. But a lot of people are very reluctant to do so, which is somewhat understandable. I started playing on the Xbox with a few posters from another forum and met them a few months later to watch some hockey in Glasgow and get a pint or two. They're a good laugh and actually probably among my closer friends at the moment. 

Actually, I just remembered that I have met someone from this forum before. It was a ******* nightmare :lol: No offence if said person is reading this, although I haven't seen them on here for quite some time.

I've met up in real life with multiple people that I came to know through music forums before. They were all really cool people. You obviously need to use a ton of discretion with the internet, but in general it can be an amazing way to meet people with similar interests. Especially since making friends as an adult is hard as hell.

Just now, BananaMash said:

I've met up in real life with multiple people that I came to know through music forums before. They were all really cool people. You obviously need to use a ton of discretion with the internet, but in general it can be an amazing way to meet people with similar interests. Especially since making friends as an adult is hard as hell.

That last part is very true. Once university / college finishes the opportunities to meet people seriously decrease, outside of work anyway. And then a lot of people like to keep work and their social life separate. 

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Preach. Where does somebody do that? Starbucks? Dog parks? Classified ads?

The only time I can think of outside of the forum example is when I've been travelling solo. Easy to meet people that way, although it's usually a long distance friendship that ultimately amounts to nothing.

Although I met a Japanese guy in an Irish bar in Osaka that recently invited me to his wedding :lol:

Archived