The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marchand Told by NHL to Stop Licking Players

NHL reportedly asked Brad Marchand to stop licking people

<a class="link rapid-noclick-resp" href="/nhl/teams/bos">Boston Bruins</a>’ <a class="link rapid-noclick-resp" href="/nhl/players/4351/">Brad Marchand</a> has been warned, stop licking people.&nbsp; (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)
Boston Bruins’ Brad Marchand has been warned, stop licking people.  (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Yes, you read that right. And if you watched Game 1 between the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs you know exactly what I am talking about.

In case you missed it, in Game 1 between the Bruins and Maple Leafs, Toronto forward Leo Komarov was closely embraced by Boston’s Brad Marchand.

The NHL was not a big fan of that, apparently. According to Elliotte Friedman in his 31 Thoughts column, the Bruins received a phone call from the National Hockey League.

“After Game 1 of the Toronto/Boston series, the Bruins got a, “We’d prefer if you could tell Brad Marchand to stop licking people” phone call from the NHL,” Friedman reported.

I can imagine the NHL has not been forced to make too many of those phone calls over the years.

Was what Brad Marchand did weird? Completely, but it was technically within league rules. Now that the Bruins agitator has been handed a warning, I am sure you will not see him pulling the same stunt on Steven Stamkos or any members of the Tampa Bay Lightning in Round 2.

Or maybe he will, it is Brad Marchand.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-reportedly-ask-brad-marchand-stop-licking-people-202731440.html

Found this hilarious and in need of it’s own thread! Once a scumbag, always one. 

Honestly, I'm really disappointed in him more than anything else. He's had a chance to re-brand himself as an exciting dynamic scorer, but instead has chosen to continue being a dirty scumbag player. Dumb decision by a dumb player.

Licking
Many people think rats lick because of "salt on your finger."  That is very seldom the reason rats lick people (though if you do have some food or lotion on your hand, they will lick for the taste). When dogs lick, we call it kissing, but for some reason, people don't usually make this connection in rats...  Licking is a social behavior.  Rats groom each other to bond with their group.  Older rats groom younger ones as a parenting instinct and to show that they are dominant.  Younger rats also groom older ones in submission.  When rats are wrestling, one that is pinned down will lick the other one in submission and to signal the game is over.  Similarly, some rats recognize their owners as the dominant "rat" and will groom you.  Maybe it's "love" or acceptance or simply saying they mean you no harm and don't want you to hurt them; but it is certainly more than just "salty hands."

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Isn't there a threat of aids with licking. 

Seems like it should be a rule for an automatic suspension.

Extemely inappropriate as far as I'm concerned 

Only if A ) one of them is HIV positive B ) Marchand had an open wound on his tongue and C ) he was licking an open wound on Komorav. So the chance of contracting AIDS from licking someone is infinitesimal. 

It's still ****ing gross though and if Marchand tried to pull that on me, I'd do my best to rip the tongue right out of his skull. 

13 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Isn't there a threat of aids with licking. 

Seems like it should be a rule for an automatic suspension.

Extemely inappropriate as far as I'm concerned 

Not unless he was licking somewhere that I guarantee you he can't reach during the game and had open sores.

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I'm really disappointed in him more than anything else. He's had a chance to re-brand himself as an exciting dynamic scorer, but instead has chosen to continue being a dirty scumbag player. Dumb decision by a dumb player.

Exactly. He had a good chance to change his role in the NHL and he does stupid crap like licking Komarov. I just don't understand.

So people everywhere, fans and some players alike, took great issue with Burrows because he bit a finger that was being shoved down his throat so he couldn't breathe and yet this .......this......rodent-licking-people incident has barely made the 'news' as far as fans and players go? The licking thing is far more disturbing a behavior than self defense because you can't breathe due to fingers shoved in your throat could ever be.

I'm with rekker above....... I hope Tampa kicks their asses and then drags the bloody corpses around the ice for one more go-round.

48 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Only if A ) one of them is HIV positive B ) Marchand had an open wound on his tongue and C ) he was licking an open wound on Komorav. So the chance of contracting AIDS from licking someone is infinitesimal. 

It's still ****ing gross though and if Marchand tried to pull that on me, I'd do my best to rip the tongue right out of his skull. 

I couldn't believe that this isn't against the rules, wouldn't this be an example of a Gross Misconduct?*

*I did some research and found out the NHL no longer has Gross Misconducts.  Clearly though, this action would follow under "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" and could have a game misconduct attached.  That's just nasty.

It's an absolute violation of personal space...and creepy.  He gets off on this stuff and it's disturbing.  It's one thing to troll, it's another to actually take it to a level where you'd have someone's salty sweaty face on your tongue. 

He needs help.

Was of the exact same thinking (re Burrows), Cerridwen.

Archived