The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal Canadiens Open to trading 3rd Overall Pick (If a Great offer comes up)

Rush17

Sounds like a situation Jim could fully take advantage of.  If they prefer a D man they may want to slide down a few spots.  We could offer Baerstchi + 7th pick and another asset to possibly move up.  What are your guys thoughts on this?  

The way this is worded. Screams Montreal wants to deal with Vancouver.  Mentions if a team wants a player who's ready next season you have to pony up.  To me, that yells Canucks lol. We wanted a guy who could step up and we are close enough in the draft just 4 spots back where they could nab their guy they like.  I'm just speculating though. Very intriguing. 

Montreal open to moving the 3rd and Edmonton stated earlier this month they'd be willing to move their pick which is now the 10th overall.  I think Montreal wants Hughes or Boqvist.  Both of whom could be possibly had around our pick.  Interesting times ahead indeed. Saying you want to move the pick and doing it totally different though lol.  It's easier said than done to get the value you desire.

Well yeah, it's consensus that the top 3-4 will likely make the jump next season.  Sounds like more scrambling to save his job, trying to get out in front of any trade possibilities and make it look like he's being active and doing something. 

Keep in mind, I believe the Habs have four 2nd round picks this year, including theirs and Chicago's which are in the 30s.  Maybe we could help them with some roster stability with an asset or two for those picks.

Honestly, I agree with Bergervin's view of willing to put this pick at play. At #3, it is most likely to pick one of Filip Zadina and Brady Tkachuk. If for some reason, the scouting staffs in Montreal aren't sold on both of these 2 players, best option for him is to trade down a few spots to grab a guy they like while getting more assets in return. At the end of the day, it is the input of the scouting staffs that effects the GM's decision with his draft picks. For me, I still think anywhere from 3-10 is a crap shoot and any player picked within that range could be better than the other. Take advantage of the current assets and make the most of it is what a GM should do.

7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Honestly, I agree with Bergervin's view of willing to put this pick at play. At #3, it is most likely to pick one of Filip Zadina and Brady Tkachuk. If for some reason, the scouting staffs in Montreal aren't sold on both of these 2 players, best option for him is to trade down a few spots to grab a guy they like while getting more assets in return. At the end of the day, it is the input of the scouting staffs that effects the GM's decision with his draft picks. For me, I still think anywhere from 3-10 is a crap shoot and any player picked within that range could be better than the other. Take advantage of the current assets and make the most of it is what a GM should do.

A lot of Montreal fans seem to be highly divided on Zadina and Tkachuk.  Some believe the Canes will pass on Svech though and select Zadina to reunite that Czech chemistry.  Apparently, Carolina hasn't drafted many Russians according to one HF members memory. I don't know if that's true or not. I saw Buffalo taking Tkachuk if they were in the 2-4 range but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty with Montreal and to some degree Carolina.

Canadiens fans really want a Center that can grow into that first line role.  This draft doesn't happen to really offer much of any good centers in the top 10-12.We shall see how it shakes. :) A lot of mixed feelings on Tkachuk from Canadiens fans. Some love him some absolutely want nothing to do with him lol.

Just now, Rush17 said:

A lot of Montreal fans seem to be highly divided on Zadina and Tkachuk.  Some believe the Canes will pass on Svech though and select Zadina to reunite that Czech chemistry.  Apparently, Carolina hasn't drafted many Russians according to one HF members memory. I don't know if that's true or not. I saw Buffalo taking Tkachuk if they were in the 2-4 range but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty with Montreal and to some degree Carolina.

Canadiens fans really want a Center that can grow into that first line role.  This draft doesn't happen to really offer much of any good centers in the top 10-12.We shall see how it shakes. :) A lot of mixed feelings on Tkachuk from Canadiens fans. Some love him some absolutely want nothing to do with him lol.

Canes would be insane to pass on Svechnikov. But again, you never know what each team's scouts are thinking and every team knows more (or atleast, have very different views) on each player we see. It will be interesting. I think the Canes have to take a high-end forward in Svechnikov. I can see Svechnikov bring out the best of Elias Lindholm if they play on the same line. As for Montreal, that's exactly what you say, their fan base is pretty divided on whether to pick Zadina or Tkachuk. One of my co-workers is a Habs fan and she said moving up from 3 to 4 makes the GM's job tougher. As he will have to make the decision on whether to take Zadina or Tkachuk rather than waiting for one of them to fall on his laps.

30 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

NYI meet MTL

A 3 way deal where VAN pays assets to move to 3, Montreal to 11, 12 and islanders to 7.  Could be a good option. We could pay Baertschi + another asset to move up 4 spots. Montreal may want the 7th pick instead though so they can land a Walstrom, Hughes, or Boqvist.

I don't see the Canucks being interested in moving from #7 to #3. It makes very little sense to do that. I think Benning feels confident enough that he can find a good player at #7. Montreal would want way too much. They would want something like a Goldobin or Virtanen + 7th for the 3rd, plus maybe another prospect. That is too much to give up

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

A 3 way deal where VAN pays assets to move to 3, Montreal to 11, 12 and islanders to 7.  Could be a good option. We could pay Baertschi + another asset to move up 4 spots. Montreal may want the 7th pick instead though so they can land a Walstrom, Hughes, or Boqvist.

Bergevin is looking for a C1 or a high end PMD to play on the left of Weber.

They have way too many wingers (with many already being on the smaller side) and no top-6 Cs.

Their top-9 wingers - Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Lekhonen, Hudon, Scherbak, Shaw, Byron.  Some have been forced to play C with questionable success.

Their Cs for now: Danault, DeLaRose and Froese.  With Drouin (who Bergevin says ideally would play wing) and Plekanec (traded and UFA) - they are the 5 players who took the most draws last season.  They need to find Cs.

As for Ds they are looking for a high end left shot PMD to play with Weber - they don't need Tanev or Hutton.  They have Weber and Petry on the right side. Veterans Alzner, Benn, Schlemko are under contract as well as Mete and Reilly (waiver eligible).  Juulsen could also be ready to challenge for a spot.

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

if they want this kid we would be a safe spot to select him.

TSN mock draft compares Kotkaniemi to Kopitar and Toewes. If so, we should take him unless Montreal does indeed take this guy with #3 overall.

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Sounds like a situation Jim could fully take advantage of.  If they prefer a D man they may want to slide down a few spots.  We could offer Baerstchi + 7th pick and another asset to possibly move up.  What are your guys thoughts on this?  

Baertschi isn't going to cut it.  He's the new Raymond in "Raymond, Ballard and a first".

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The way this is worded. Screams Montreal wants to deal with Vancouver.  Mentions if a team wants a player who's ready next season you have to pony up.  To me, that yells Canucks lol. We wanted a guy who could step up and we are close enough in the draft just 4 spots back where they could nab their guy they like.  I'm just speculating though. Very intriguing. 

Montreal open to moving the 3rd and Edmonton stated earlier this month they'd be willing to move their pick which is now the 10th overall.  I think Montreal wants Hughes or Boqvist.  Both of whom could be possibly had around our pick.  Interesting times ahead indeed. Saying you want to move the pick and doing it totally different though lol.  It's easier said than done to get the value you desire.

I don't know where you're getting that from.  Why would the Canucks trade up to 3rd when they need a d man and there will be plenty available at 7.  I think you'd see them trade down before they trade up.

Archived