The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal Canadiens Open to trading 3rd Overall Pick (If a Great offer comes up)

Rush17

Why do people want to move up to pick a winger so badly? It's going to cost too much and I'd rather use an asset like Tanev to get a late first and a good prospect or a good young roster player rather than to move 3-4 spots up in the draft.

Yes Zadina and Svechnikov look like studs but the defencemen we can get at the 7 spot is what we've always wanted. Draft Dobson, Hughes, or Boqvist and be glad to get a smooth skating dman with offensive tools and excellent puck transition ability.

Then trade Tanev for pick at the 2018 draft if there is a player you can target on the board. Optionally we could keep Tanev and trade him for 2019 firsts at the TDL and try to load up for the draft that we are hosting.

14 minutes ago, goblix said:

Why do people want to move up to pick a winger so badly? It's going to cost too much and I'd rather use an asset like Tanev to get a late first and a good prospect or a good young roster player rather than to move 3-4 spots up in the draft.

Yes Zadina and Svechnikov look like studs but the defencemen we can get at the 7 spot is what we've always wanted. Draft Dobson, Hughes, or Boqvist and be glad to get a smooth skating dman with offensive tools and excellent puck transition ability.

Then trade Tanev for pick at the 2018 draft if there is a player you can target on the board. Optionally we could keep Tanev and trade him for 2019 firsts at the TDL and try to load up for the draft that we are hosting.

The difference in a potential superstar versus a star. NHL ready players in the top 3 too.

Anywhere in the top 7-8 is pretty solid. Boqvist has the highest potential outside of the top 3 imo. Bouchard and Dobson have size and offensive pedigree. Hughes is a great skater with great handles offensively dynamic. Wahlstrom can absolutely sniper. Center/Winger it sounds like. Tkachuk is his brother ramped up to 10. Excited about this draft.

45 minutes ago, goblix said:

This is where I'm at as well. Zero desire to pay the price required for a marginally better/more ready prospect at W.

Would LOVE to move Tanev for a pick in the Smith/Kotkaniemi/Valeno/Lunderstrom area as well (or as you say, a 2019 1st).

15 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Sounds like a situation Jim could fully take advantage of.  If they prefer a D man they may want to slide down a few spots.  We could offer Baerstchi + 7th pick and another asset to possibly move up.  What are your guys thoughts on this?  

15 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The way this is worded. Screams Montreal wants to deal with Vancouver.  Mentions if a team wants a player who's ready next season you have to pony up.  To me, that yells Canucks lol. We wanted a guy who could step up and we are close enough in the draft just 4 spots back where they could nab their guy they like.  I'm just speculating though. Very intriguing. 

Montreal open to moving the 3rd and Edmonton stated earlier this month they'd be willing to move their pick which is now the 10th overall.  I think Montreal wants Hughes or Boqvist.  Both of whom could be possibly had around our pick.  Interesting times ahead indeed. Saying you want to move the pick and doing it totally different though lol.  It's easier said than done to get the value you desire.

I don't see how this screams of wanting to deal with Vancouver.

And regardless, why Vancouver would be particularly interested isn't clear to me either.

If anything I think Vancouver would probably be open to moving that pick themselves if they landed in the 3 spot.

Montreal undoubtedly is banking (were they to deal that pick) on forwards going 2 and 3 - and having moved Sergachev would probably want to move back into a 4 to 7 spot to draft a defenseman (or alternatively, possibly acquire an NHL ready one alternatively).

From my perspective, the Canucks would be one of the least likely candidates to want to move out of a position to fill a primary organization need that lines up well a potential bpa at their draft position.

Moving up to 4, 5 or 6 imo would make more sense than 3 - if the team were particularly keen on a particular blueliner far more so than the rest of (close) field.

But given the relative parity of Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes, I don't see the incentive there - I think they're far more likely to roll the dice and stay where they are.

14 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I don't see the Canucks being interested in moving from #7 to #3. It makes very little sense to do that. I think Benning feels confident enough that he can find a good player at #7. Montreal would want way too much. They would want something like a Goldobin or Virtanen + 7th for the 3rd, plus maybe another prospect. That is too much to give up

I'd give up Goldobin if Zadina or Svech was on the table. Not Virt though...he's about to break out big time. 

8 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I'd give up Goldobin if Zadina or Svech was on the table. Not Virt though...he's about to break out big time. 

I think the question you need to ask yourself is would you give up Svech or Zadina for Goldobin.

VAN

3OA

Alain

MTL

Tanev

Baertschi

Hutton

E. KANE - HORVAT - BOESER

GOLDOBIN - PETTERSSON - VIRTANEN

LEIPSIC - GAUDETTE - LIND

ERIKSSON - DOWD - GAGNER

JUOLEVI - EDLER

GUDBRANSON - STETCHER

DEL ZOTTO - POULIOT

MARKSTROM

DEMKO

Vancouver retains the 7th pick

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

VAN

3OA

MTL

Tanev

Baertschi Juolevi

Hutton Lind

Demko

2nd

FTFY

Just think for one moment here if Vancouver had the 3rd OA pick and Montreal was making the offer.  Would you do it for your proposal?

VAN

3rd Overall

MTL

7th Overall

Baertschi

Hutton

Gives them a top 9 LWer who can play up the lineup. As well as a top 6 D who has high top 4 potential if he arrives in shape.  Its a pretty steep price to pay but we have depth in the middle 6 left side and on D.  Would you do it if they liked it?

40 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

VAN

3rd Overall

MTL

7th Overall

Baertschi

Hutton

Gives them a top 9 LWer who can play up the lineup. As well as a top 6 D who has high top 4 potential if he arrives in shape.  Its a pretty steep price to pay but we have depth in the middle 6 left side and on D.  Would you do it if they liked it?

Mtl says no..

2 guys that have been injured or been in the proverbial dog house all season. Not that appealing to give up a player like Svechnikov or Zadina...

Canucks are not good trade partners. We finally have prospects in our systems to be excited about but we are not in the position to sell any. We need to hit on a few like before we can deem that we have an excess to trade those types of pieces.

I am not into giving up pieces. 

If anything, we need to be trying to acquire more parts in this draft. 

An example would be approaching the NYI about dropping to one of their two picks and picking up an extra pick.

New York would be a great trading partner because they have many needs and are looking for success now. They need a dependable defenseman, a depth center, and an upgrade in net.

We just happen to have a player at all three positions, I view as expendable in Tanev, Sutter, and Markstrom.

Though I wouldn't deal all three, offering one of them in a deal combined with our pick and dropping down could net a good return. 

If it's Marky, we could take back Thomas Greiss' contract to sweeten the deal for them.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

VAN

3rd Overall

MTL

7th Overall

Baertschi

Hutton

They want a C1 or a left side PMD to play with Weber.  This doesn't address their needs.  It's not a good use of their cap space or roster spots.  They already have too many wingers and Hutton is 4 times more expensive than Reilly and Mete and they also still have Alzner, Benn and Schlemko under contract on the left side. 

I would rather see the Canucks try to get more picks in the draft than to try to move up.

GMJB said that picks 2-7 are all a tier above the next group which to me says that he is confident he will get a great player with #7

15 hours ago, Me_ said:

VAN

3OA

Alain

MTL

Tanev

Baertschi

Hutton

E. KANE - HORVAT - BOESER

GOLDOBIN - PETTERSSON - VIRTANEN

LEIPSIC - GAUDETTE - LIND

ERIKSSON - DOWD - GAGNER

JUOLEVI - EDLER

GUDBRANSON - STETCHER

DEL ZOTTO - POULIOT

MARKSTROM

DEMKO

lol you're dreaming :lol:

This is almost as bad as Raymond, Ballard, and a 2nd round pick.

Archived