The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Case to Draft Oliver Wahlstrom

SuperJr

We know the smart choice  is to choose a Dman in the upcoming draft. This is evidence by the lack of offense/defensive abilities from our D group the past few years. However , looking at our offensive numbers, we scored the fewest goals in the last 3 season. What I’m trying to say is we suck, we suck for many years and we need help in all areas!!

Benning said he will draft the BPA with the 7th pick. He have interest in drafting a scoring forward to play along Boeser and Pettersson.

“We could take a right winger because by the time this guy is ready to play, Pettersson is probably in the middle.

“(Wahlstrom) can play centre too, and we want to be sure we get the best guy here.”

( The Province )

Drafting Tkachuk makes sense  of course. But most likely he won’t be at the 7th spot when we get there.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Oliver-Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom got size (6’1 200 pounds), can dangle in a phoneboth ,high IQ,  and owns one of the best shots  in the draft. His shot have been comparable to Boeser! He reminds me of Casey Mittelstadt.  I feel Wahlstrom plays a more physical games then Mittelstadt and of course a better scorer. Wahlstrom is faster on his skate but overall Mittelstadt is a better playmaker. 

Wahlstrom got one of the highest ceiling in the draft. If we can draft a potential first line winger, compare to a 2 pairing Dman, I’m sure Benning will go with first line potential.

If Boqvist is still available at 7th, I would be equally happy to have Boqvist as a Canucks. However, besides the top 3 picks, I believe Boqvist and Wahlstrom have the highest ceilings! But, when you got a 6’1 200 pounds, power winger/centre that have this much skills? It’s hard for Benning to past over...

What do you guys think? Who you think will be available at 7th and who you want to be picked?

I want to see Wahlstrom in a Canucks uniform and as Benning has said they're going to go with the best player available. If he's still around at 7 the Canucks would be nuts not to take him.

Sure why not? Outside of top 3, every team will have a different ranking of the players. If ours happens to have Wahlstrom at #4 and if he is available at #7, then we should get him. If in fact that is JB's comment, then it looks like he wants Wahlstrom.

I kind of was hoping for Bouchard only because whenever an 18 year old defenceman puts up a number that Bouchard did, it's really hard to not notice.

But really, I wouldn't be surprised if Canucks ranks Bouchard below Wahlstrom. Canucks scouts know what they are doing.

I'm pretty high on Wahlstrom myself. I'd like to pick up one of Boqvist, Dobson, Hughes, or Wahlstrom in the #7 slot. I do think we need to take one of the defenceman due to our lack of depth in that position, but Whalstrom excites me the most out of all of them.

They'll take the BPA on their list, doesn't have to be a D. I'm guessing they have interest in Wahlstrom. Pretty much guaranteed Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadna, Boqvist and Tkachuk will be gone by the time it's our turn. Or will they?

BUF - Dahlin (pretty easy choice)

CAR - Svechnikov (pretty easy choice)

MTL - Zadina (they may end up trading this pick)

OTT - Boqvist (got a feeling, Karlsson to mentor, eventually pair with Chabot)

ARI - Bouchard (they already have Keller, Domi, Dvorak and Perlini who could play LW, and also set at C. Coyotes get their future RD to play with Chychrun)

DET - Wahlstrom (DET loves their Swedes, even though he's an American lol)

VAN - Tkachuk :)

If not Tkachuk, maybe Dobson or Hughes. Canucks are in good shape.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They'll take the BPA on their list, doesn't have to be a D. I'm guessing they have interest in Wahlstrom. Pretty much guaranteed Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadna, Boqvist and Tkachuk will be gone by the time it's our turn. Or will they?

ARI - Bouchard (they already have Keller, Domi, Dvorak and Perlini who could play LW, and also set at C. Coyotes get their future RD to play with Chychrun)

Button has us taking Dobson and Boquist falling to the Oilers.

Vancouver Canucks
7. Noah Dobson

Defence | Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL) | 6'3 | 180 lbs. | Jan. 7, 2000

2017-18 STATISTICS

• GP
  • G
  • PTS
  • +/-

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button says:

With the forward stable the Canucks have, Noah is the perfect complement to them and he helps the building of a strong defense corps. 

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1071168

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Button has us taking Dobson and Boquist falling to the Oilers.

Vancouver Canucks
7. Noah Dobson

Defence | Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL) | 6'3 | 180 lbs. | Jan. 7, 2000

2017-18 STATISTICS

• GP
  • G
  • PTS
  • +/-

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button says:

With the forward stable the Canucks have, Noah is the perfect complement to them and he helps the building of a strong defense corps. 

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1071168

Hughes at #5 and Boqvist at #10? I think Wahlstrom goes higher than #9 too. Really hope EDM doesn't get Boqvist.

Benning said that they would take the best player at #7, and if Wahlstrom, Boqvist and Dobson are available, I hope he takes Wahlstrom or Boqvist.  

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes at #5 and Boqvist at #10? I think Wahlstrom goes higher than #9 too. Really hope EDM doesn't get Boqvist.

Benning said that they would take the best player at #7, and if Wahlstrom, Boqvist and Dobson are available, I hope he takes Wahlstrom or Boqvist.  

I really hope they don't get Boquist or Wahlstrom.....

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think you are bang on with Ott. Me thinks Ari will bite on Tkachuck.  Detroit probably takes Wahlstrom. Leaving Us likely Bouchard/Hughes though I would also be happy with Veleno Dobbson.

If we don't get Bouchard, Wahlstrom is the pretty obvious pick. We need to get Boeser some high-end scoring help for the future and Wahlstrom would slot in perfectly at the second line RW spot to do that. Wahlstrom has a lot more he can improve on and is already one of the most impressive forwards in the draft so I doubt he's available at #7. Having our top 3 RW be Boeser, Wahlstrom, and Lind could be tremendous going forward. 

Watching the viral videos of Wahlstrom when he was 9 and 10 years old, my first thoughts were Robbie Schremp.  Watching the more recent vids of him, I see he's a shooter. Don't know if he's much of a passer or team player.

I like Hughes if he's a super-Torey Krug- PP QB-type and as a down payment to get his brother in 2019, continuing the Canucks-brothers tradition.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those are the two I want also. I hate taking defenseman ithat early in the draft but Boqvist might be worth the risk. Wahlstrom is my first choice.

Drafting Wahlstrom would definitely bolster our forward ranks, he is dual eligible but played all year at RW... if we did draft him, would rather have him as a C as we have quite a few RWs in our system with Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin and Lind.  If Hughes is there I would rather they take a flier on him, we need to add top dmen to our thin defence pool and either he or Bouchard or Dobson would definitely be a good addition to the D pool

Archived