The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Case to Draft Oliver Wahlstrom

SuperJr

25 minutes ago, Solinar said:

What about taking Veleno at 7 for center depth?  Would you consider him as opposed to wingers in Wahlstrom or Tkachuk?  Could he jump the defensemen in the range?

I like Velano, but not over one of the 2nd tier defensemen that will be available at 7th. 

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Wahlstrom plays with solid high calibre players.  Tkachuk plays with dante Fabbro.

Wahlstroms point totals doubled when Hughes was brought in to play, Wahlstrom net 45 points in 26 games in the USNDP.

Tkachuk never had a premier anyone to play with and net 31 points in 40 games in Boston College

Arguably Tkachuk played in a tougher league with far lower quality players and did ok.  Added he looked great in the world juniors.

There's no issue from me for drafting either but I can see why Tkachuk is rated so highly

Tkachuk is also a lot older than Wahlstrom though. People tend to forget that Tkachuk missed the cut off by one day for the 2017 draft.

5 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Tkachuk is also a lot older than Wahlstrom though. People tend to forget that Tkachuk missed the cut off by one day for the 2017 draft.

what benefit would you say those extra 9 months of wisdom have had for tkachuk?

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Its basically another season of hockey and that allows for a lot more development

it potentially COULD be another season of hockey, I guess, but given that we don't know anything about when these kids started playing, what age groups they played with, etc, you have to assume that it's not. after all, age cutoff rules don't exist solely for the NHL draft. they exist for school and minor hockey as well. kids grow up playing with and against kids +/- a year of their own age. it's inconsequential. 

12 hours ago, tas said:

it potentially COULD be another season of hockey, I guess, but given that we don't know anything about when these kids started playing, what age groups they played with, etc, you have to assume that it's not. after all, age cutoff rules don't exist solely for the NHL draft. they exist for school and minor hockey as well. kids grow up playing with and against kids +/- a year of their own age. it's inconsequential. 

In Brady's case, it is another full season of hockey. 

I was watching some clips of Wahlstrom's goals this season and is it just me or do a lot of his goals remind anyone else of goals scored by Adam Gaudette for Northeastern the last couple of seasons!?

If Canucks select any forward not named Kotkaniemi it will haunt them almost as bad as Passing up on Kopitar. Id argue Kotkaniemi is the top forward in this draft and had he played in NA hed be ranked accordingly

7 hours ago, Robongo said:

If Canucks select any forward not named Kotkaniemi it will haunt them almost as bad as Passing up on Kopitar. Id argue Kotkaniemi is the top forward in this draft and had he played in NA hed be ranked accordingly

I haven't watched him play so I just watched a highlight package on youtube to get a bit of a feel. I'm wondering what makes you so high on him? he's obviously a skilled kid, he's got good size, plays an nhl style game, and playing against men already should help him transition to the nhl faster, but nothing in particular stood out to me. what's his separating skill?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-04-29 at 5:06 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes at #5 and Boqvist at #10? I think Wahlstrom goes higher than #9 too. Really hope EDM doesn't get Boqvist.

Benning said that they would take the best player at #7, and if Wahlstrom, Boqvist and Dobson are available, I hope he takes Wahlstrom or Boqvist.  

Edmonton would ruin Bomqvist. They problaby bring him over next season!  Edmonton doesn’t have the patience to develop Bomqvist who will take the longest out of the top ten to develop 

Archived