The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acording to Bob McKenzie ( Picks 5 through 8)

J.I.A.H.N

Who do the canucks pick at 7th OA...................(this is not who we want, but who will we pick, with who is available at #7)  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Fateless said:

Over the last couple of years, the NHL has sped up significantly. We're starting to see the rise of smaller, faster players. There is a premium on speed that we haven't seen in a long time, if ever. I'm happy with this development because I believe the speed makes for better hockey. It excites me as a fan.

What is the biggest knock on Bouchard? His skating. The guy is not a great skater. Out of the other defensive prospects at the top of the draft, he's by far the slowest. I believe that he will be left behind by faster players and that he won't be able to translate his offensive prowess into the NHL because he won't be able to keep the puck out of his own net.

There's also concern about the competition he's playing against compared to his own personal development - the guy is already in a man's body and learned to use it. His points are inflated because of that. I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle at the next level.

Ultimately I think Dahlin, Boqvist, Dobson, and Hughes are better defensive prospects and that all of them have a much lower chance of busting than Bouchard does. Some of that is personal belief and I'm aware that many professional scouts don't agree with me. If we end up picking him, I hope to God that I'm wrong about this.

I'd be willing to take the risk on Bouchard if the other four defensive prospects I named are gone and Benning believes we need to take a defensive prospect still. I'd be fine spending a 10th OA pick on a player like Bouchard. But at 7th OA, I believe there are better options.

Thats funny

..still haven't read the reports I see.

13 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just reading an article from Bon Mckenzie, who claims that the ranking from the 10 scouts, pre lottery are:

1. Dahlin LHD

----------------------------------------------

2. Svechnikov RW

3. Zadina LW

4. Tkachuk LW/C

5. Bouchard RHD

6. Boqvist RHD

7. Wahlstrom C

8. Dobson RHD

-----------------------------------------------

9. Hughes LHD

McKenzie basically has said that the 10 team scout's that he canvas's has put the players into these categories, and that they are distinctive, each player standing alone in his position until it comes down to positions 6, 7, 8, where Boqvist, Wahlstrom and Dobson are virtually tied, in rankings..............this gets me to wondering exactly which player does CDC want to have Benning pick?

The attached poll, will ask this question.......................

That's an accurate list.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

That's an accurate list.  

Maybe as an aggregate of NHL scouts.  However I seriously doubt we take a d-man unless Boqvist is still available.  Bouchard and Dobson are far less impressive when actually viewed on the ice vs looking at boxcar stats.  Since I expect Boqvist won't still be there by 7, I would bet money we take Wahlstrom unless Tkachuk drops.

50 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Maybe as an aggregate of NHL scouts.  However I seriously doubt we take a d-man unless Boqvist is still available.  Bouchard and Dobson are far less impressive when actually viewed on the ice vs looking at boxcar stats.  Since I expect Boqvist won't still be there by 7, I would bet money we take Wahlstrom unless Tkachuk drops.

Don't look box stats, instead read the reports, London shipped out talent this year and Bouchard didn't pad his stats.  The Q does, which is something to consider with Dobson but he's still good... nothing wrong with Boqvist, he's a great prospect too.  Hughes comes with some concerns, but also has good upside.  We'd be ok with any of these guys.

Edit: no problem with BT or Wahlstr either, both would solidify our top six going forward...

I think if Bouchard is gone I'm taking wahlstrom or Dobson and I'll be happy with both I'm worried about boqvist size and we have enough small guys I'm sick of it what if he doesn't grow much more if he does kid still needs put on weight and I'm sick of watching our d getting killed and no fight back Bouchard and Dobson both have an offensive side high iq and have size and weight and little mean streak to them and if any one has been watching under 18s wahlstrom is goal scoring machine you put that Elias will be scary 

4 hours ago, bp79 said:

Would you flip the pick for say Noah Hanafin or Jacob Trouba or Tyson Barrie? I think Jacob is gone from the Peg he is due for a big raise and it is known he is not so fond of my hometown. I was born there but still, when I go back after the first wood tick burrows into my skin I'm like get me the frump outta here lol With the first 10 picks being so good and so close to being NHL ready this is a draft where picks really are gold

Would love to see JB go buck and grab Seabrook in exchange for Chicago's 9th pick. Then trade Hutton to help offset the cost. Then trade Tanev and next years 1st top 14 protected to the Islanders for the 12th and Pulock. Along with OJ Seabrook Hughes or Bovqist/Dobson, our D would be set plus we would have the 9th and 12th picks to grab some boom or bust type guys or use them in trades. 

Think they are glad you're not in charge of their tourist info office :lol:.

Interesting thought. I see the point of flipping the pick to get a more seasoned player, but.... I think there is something in the water this year, and it makes me apprehensive of letting go of the 7th pick.

But if they thought about going that way, I think the club has to make sure, which direction it wants to take. If we are rebuilding, fro the bottom up, I think following of the players mentioned: Tyson Barrie is 27, so think he is probably too old to flip our 7th for (rebuilding) although he is a great player, Trouba is 24 so should be ok and Hanafin who is 21 would fit in fine. 

Yeah take Seabrooke of Chicagos hands for the 8th pick would be a nice call. He has got 6years, but Edler may be off in a year. It'll be 3-4 years before we are contenders again, so he could probably be bought out by then, if management is willing to pay for this. Like you thoughts.

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

I think if Bouchard is gone I'm taking wahlstrom or Dobson and I'll be happy with both I'm worried about boqvist size and we have enough small guys I'm sick of it what if he doesn't grow much more if he does kid still needs put on weight and I'm sick of watching our d getting killed and no fight back Bouchard and Dobson both have an offensive side high iq and have size and weight and little mean streak to them and if any one has been watching under 18s wahlstrom is goal scoring machine you put that Elias will be scary 

The interesting thing about Boquist is he's almost a full year younger (and therefore behind in physical development) than his draft peers.  He grew 2 inches and put on 23 pounds this year alone.  He's still maturing physically.  I think he could become the best player in this draft, including Dahlin, in 3 to 5 years.  We need to take risks with our picks.  If we only take the sure thing guys with low ceilings, but higher floors, we will end up mediocre.  I would rather we pick guys with the highest ceilings possible.  If they bust out, I'm okay with that.  We need elite guys to win Cups, and not the mediocre ones.  IMHAO, of course.

56 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

I could live with that.

15 hours ago, Fateless said:

I refuse to buy into the Bouchard hype. I think he's the one that some fool takes between 5 and 8 and in a re-draft the guy isn't even in the first round anymore.

I'm happy with any of Boqvist, Dobson, Hughes, or Wahlstrom. They're all fantastic picks.

He put up almost twice the ppg in his draft year that Joulevi did. And Joulevi played on a team that was star studded. Also his +/- is unreal and he’s the captain in London. 

You want to talk about re-drafts...We were the fools that took a guy top 5 that is the only player taken in the top 10 that year that hasn’t had a cup of coffee yet. And there’s been 5 D-men who are already regulars from that draft. 

Bouchard will be Doughty 2.0, Bank on it.

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

He put up almost twice the ppg in his draft year that Joulevi did. And Joulevi played on a team that was star studded. Also his +/- is unreal and he’s the captain in London. 

You want to talk about re-drafts...We were the fools that took a guy top 5 that is the only player taken in the top 10 that year that hasn’t had a cup of coffee yet. And there’s been 5 D-men who are already regulars from that draft. 

Oh God, it Bouchard is Doughty 2.0 then he's not there at 7, don't you think?  

12 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

thats a joke, right? you're complaining that we're letting a 19 year old develop in a mens league? the whole "Juolevi was a mistake" rant isn't based in reality. I guess Heiskanen's a pending bust too. Trade da bum now Dallas while you still can.

Has anybody heard about potential speculation Dahlin is less than thrilled about Buffalo receiving 1OA? Want to know if that's just a bogus rumor. 

Van: Dahlin 

Buff: Juolevi, Dipietro, 7OA and their choice of Sven, Goldy or Lind.

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

Has anybody heard about potential speculation Dahlin is less than thrilled about Buffalo receiving 1OA? Want to know if thats just a bogus rumor. 

Does it matter what he wants?  He's stuck with them, because no team will pony up what his trade value would be.  It would kill a franchise's future to give up the assets needed to move up to #1.

He's shuffling off to Buffalo, whether he likes it or not.

Plus, the kid is from Sweden.  He's love the winters in Buffalo, and the 20 feet of snow!  Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh God, it Bouchard is Doughty 2.0 then he's not there at 7, don't you think?  

its hard to judge these things sometimes, Alf.  Duncan Keith and Karlsson were not top 10 picks....

6 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Has anybody heard about potential speculation Dahlin is less than thrilled about Buffalo receiving 1OA? Want to know if that's just a bogus rumor. 

Van: Dahlin 

Buff: Juolevi, Dipietro, 7OA and their choice of Sven, Goldy or Lind.

where did you hear that? 

Archived