The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1410 radio shutting down

Mackcanuck

TSN 1410 shutting down April 30 to become BNN Bloomberg Radio

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tsn-1410-sports-radio-becomes-bnn-bloomberg

TSN Radio continues to hold the rights to the Vancouver Whitecaps and BC Lions, while Sportsnet has the broadcast rights to the Rogers-owned Toronto Blue Jays.

With a 2% share, TSN 1040 finished just ahead of Sportsnet 650 (1.5%) in ratings released in November.

So the two big radio sport stations in Vancouver only account for 3.5% share of the listeners in Vancouver?  Why the $%^$ are their so many ads then?  I wouldn't waste money advertising on those station if they only account for such a small audience.

33 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So the two big radio sport stations in Vancouver only account for 3.5% share of the listeners in Vancouver?  Why the $%^$ are their so many ads then?  I wouldn't waste money advertising on those station if they only account for such a small audience.

Cheap advertising coupled with people who probably have a couple more dollars than sense.

If they had sense they wouldn't be listening to terrible sports radio.

So what happens when Lions and Whitecaps overlap (was Canucks too before this season)?  That was the biggest reason I liked the 1410, don't think I ever listened to it other than when I wanted to hear another sports event.

Does this spell the beginning of the end for 1040 too?  The more they talk Whitecaps and Lions the fewer they will have listeners.  This is a Canuck's driven sports market for sure.  Without the rights to the Canucks, how long before 1040 goes bye bye too?  No more Pratt!!!  Ha Ha Ha!!!!!  Die Toronto Sports Network Die!!!!!

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why couldn't it have been 1040? missed opportunity to clean up our media. Oh well. 

I actually hope 1040 stays the way it is. Most of the personalities on 650 are just so bland I for one find them hard to listen to.

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does this spell the beginning of the end for 1040 too?  The more they talk Whitecaps and Lions the fewer they will have listeners.  This is a Canuck's driven sports market for sure.  Without the rights to the Canucks, how long before 1040 goes bye bye too?  No more Pratt!!!  Ha Ha Ha!!!!!  Die Toronto Sports Network Die!!!!!

:( I like the whitecaps talk.  And honestly there really isn't a whole ton of whitecaps/lions talk unless its summer when Canucks are irrelevant when theres no UFAs, drafts are over, etc. to bother discussing.  And I may be biased since soccer is my favorite sport so Whitecaps talk is always enjoyable. 

But also no more pratt would be nice, drives me up the f***ing wall listening to his BS.

Off topic. But Friday afternoon, Rintoul and Walker were talking about the draft lottery. Walker said that fans were "Morons" if they didn't like the draft format.

Now if he said. "Well watch it on Saturday, and if you find it sucks let us know." I would have understood. But that sounded so arrogant. On Sunday I emailed

650 to complain. After all he's biting the hand that feeds him by dumping on the fans. He's entitled to his opinion, but you have to be tactful as well.  

I was surprised that on the same day I got a response from the Station Manager, saying he was going to speak to him about it.

(I was miffed enough to recommend losing a day with pay).

I hope this is not a trend where 650 starts acting like 1040.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Off topic. But Friday afternoon, Rintoul and Walker were talking about the draft lottery. Walker said that fans were "Morons" if they didn't like the draft format.

Now if he said. "Well watch it on Saturday, and if you find it sucks let us know." I would have understood. But that sounded so arrogant. On Sunday I emailed

650 to complain. After all he's biting the hand that feeds him by dumping on the fans. He's entitled to his opinion, but you have to be tactful as well.  

I was surprised that on the same day I got a response from the Station Manager, saying he was going to speak to him about it.

You wanted him deducted a days pay for calling the fans morons if they didnt like the draft format ?

Really ?

He is entitled to his opinion... His job is to be controversial.....  

I bet his station manager congratulates him on getting your email..  any  PR Is good PR type of comment....

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You wanted him deducted a days pay for calling the fans morons if they didnt like the draft format ?

Really ?

He is entitled to his opinion... His job is to be controversial.....  

I bet his station manager congratulates him on getting your email..  any  PR Is good PR type of comment....

Guess biting the hand that feeds you is a foreign concept to you? 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Guess biting the hand that feeds you is a foreign concept to you? 

Media is now all about being controversial and getting attention.

Clearly they got your intention.   So it worked.  That is all i am saying.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yet.without the rights to the Canucks,  1040 have higher ratings than 650, who do have the Canucks.

18 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I still can't get onboard with Walker, haven't really cared for him since he got here and he really likes to flex his muscles on twitter I have found.  I miss Scotty, he and BMac used to have a great morning show and after BMac went to the afternoons I felt everything went downhill (plus Rick Ball, etc. leaving who were actually enjoyable to listen to).

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is the reason why sports talk in the Vancouver area sucks so bad. There is no diversity and honestly do I really want to listen to the current crop of losers talk about sports they know nothing about anyways? The only content I used to like to listening to when I lived there was the time filler from the American sports talk shows because I couldn't take the constant Canucks talk rammed down my throat.

16 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

This is the reason why sports talk in the Vancouver area sucks so bad. There is no diversity and honestly do I really want to listen to the current crop of losers talk about sports they know nothing about anyways? The only content I used to like to listening to when I lived there was the time filler from the American sports talk shows because I couldn't take the constant Canucks talk rammed down my throat.

It's Vancouver sport's radio though.  Don't you expect a Canadian city to talk, mostly, about the city's hockey team?

I do agree the hosts know little about hockey.  I don't think either of the two remaining stations (650 and 1040) have one host between them who was a hockey player.  They come from the lesser sports in Canada, like football and soccer, where most of our top athletes don't really play.  I think we are getting good basketball players though, but that's a recent thing, since Steve Nash. Again, none of those guys would ever be a host on local sport's radio.  

Archived