The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wahlstrom at lucky #7

Alcoblue24

This coming draft I really think the Canucks should draft Oliver Wahlstrom at #7. 

I know the Canucks need D but in the history of 7th overall picks not many good defensemen were drafted (exception Ryan Suter)

Not really sold on Boqvist (concussion history) Hughes (small, not really suited for the west) Bouchard (see him as a stay at home D, not much upside) Dobson (maybe, skates funny to me)

On the other hand many elite Centers and decent RWs have been drafted at that spot. (Keller, Scheifele, Skinner, Kadri, Voracek, Malhotra, Doan, Arnott, Okposo)

Source: http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/7th-overall/70509/

Based on this little research on history I suggest we grab Oliver Wahlstrom at #7.

Strengths

- excellent shot

- good skater

- good size and strength (6'1, 205)

- elite decision-making

Potential: Mikko Rantanen

Can never have enough Swedish players especially our connection and rich history with them.

What are your thoughts? 

You make a good case with the comps. I am curious if you factor in picks 5,6,8,9,10 if the results are the same. Jim is a phenomenal drafter so it's not out of the possibly we end up with the 4th or 5th best player at 7.  Jim might find a guy another team at 7 might miss too.

But I like your post! Thanks for joining in on the message boards! I like the case you brought forward. I will have to do more research on this fella. :)

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Zadina

4. Tkachuk/Boqvist (some risk high reward)

---

5. Boqvist/Tkachuk

---

6. Wahlstrom

--- 

7. Dobson (needs 2-4 yrs of development)

---

8. Bouchard (safe pick)

---

9. Hughes (size issue but talent is there)

---

10. Smith 

Kotkaniemi (darkhorse)

10 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I know we need offence but man oh man we need defence. At least least 1 of Boqvist,Bouchard,Hughes or Dobson will be there more likely two. Just pick which one has the highest potential 

There's a decent chance we end up with a good/great defender in rounds 2 or 3 though.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I also hope we get Wahlstrom, and he's an American.

Dahlen - Pettersson - Wahlstrom

lots of high level skill, and goals I would imagine

yep hes American..

Then aside from that line you could  have

Bo and Brock 

Gaudette and Jake

Looks nice up front.  Problem is the D .  Im thinking there has to be some UFA/Trade magic to shore up the D....

The thing about picking 7 is that whoever we get depends entirely on the 6 picks ahead of us, we have no idea who is going to be sitting there. 

At this point though I trust Benning to make a good pick in that spot and I’m sure we’ll get a qualty player.

50 minutes ago, Alcoblue24 said:

This coming draft I really think the Canucks should draft Oliver Wahlstrom at #7. 

I know the Canucks need D but in the history of 7th overall picks not many good defensemen were drafted (exception Ryan Suter)

Not really sold on Boqvist (concussion history) Hughes (small, not really suited for the west) Bouchard (see him as a stay at home D, not much upside) Dobson (maybe, skates funny to me)

On the other hand many elite Centers and decent RWs have been drafted at that spot. (Scheifele, Skinner, Kadri, Voracek, Malhotra, Doan, Arnott, Okposo)

Source: http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/7th-overall/70509/

Based on this little research on history I suggest we grab Oliver Wahlstrom at #7.

Strengths

- excellent shot

- good skater

- good size and strength (6'1, 205)

- elite decision-making

Potential: Mikko Rantanen

Can never have enough Swedish players especially our connection and rich history with them.

What are your thoughts? 

What about Jesperi Kotkaniemi, he is 6'2" and still growing as one of the youngest draft eligible players (rumour is he is actually already 6'3").   He is arguably already a better skater than Wahlstrom and has, again arguably, played against much tougher competition.    He may be "that" player that people wonder how others missed. 

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What about Jesperi Kotkaniemi, he is 6'2" and still growing as one of the youngest draft eligible players (rumour is he is actually already 6'3").   He is arguably already a better skater than Wahlstrom and has, again arguably, played against much tougher competition.    He may be "that" player that people wonder how others missed. 

Personally, I think Kotkaniemi is a dark horse and could turn out to be one of the best players of this draft. My dream scenario would be that Benning trades Tanev to NYI for one of their firsts, takes either Dobson/Hughes/Wahlstrom with #7 and then grabs Kotkaniemi with the other first from NYI. 

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Quite simply impossible to separate them. 

I started with Bouchard, then Wahlstrom followed by Boqvist and now I'm getting the hots for Kotkaniemi... Thank god I'm not in Bennings shoes, cause some of these players are going to be stars and some probably will bust.

If you think the debate around OJ v Tkachuk has been heated, wait to see CDC boil over if JB picks a bust in this draft.

Archived