The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wahlstrom at lucky #7

Alcoblue24

Guess it also depends on talent level at forward/defense in this draft vs next years draft.  If Benning thinks this years draft is better for defensemen then he should pick a d with #7.  In all likelihood we will be another lottery team in 2019/20.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Wahlstrom is playing in the USHL, not exactly better competition, Boqvist probably yes.  But the points translate better for Bouchard out of these guys, with little to no help on his team this year to pad his stats.  A year ago Juolevi was scoring just over 40 points on the same team as a draft plus one...so what does that make of him?  A second round draft pick in a re-draft this year?  Maybe his draft year too if it wasn't for Laine and Puljajarvi padding his WJC ( Bouchard had more points as a draft minus one BTW, on the same team).

Boqvist is younger which I like, but a few months either way isn't going to make that much difference, he's also playing on bigger ice which helps players like him that uses skating ability to avoid getting creamed.  Defense is a two way game, not sure his puck retrival and net presence will amount to much without some growing.  

The best player in the history of the game was an average skater,  and if that was the best thing about a defenseman than Hedican would be in the HHOF.

There is also shot (Bouchard) and passing (best in draft Bouchard), he's quick and mobile, not slow or average like detractors like to say, and has NHL size.   Dobson does get his stats padded playing in the Q, it translates 50% lower than the OHL in the conversions.  Second Tier Swedish league is probably better than both leagues though, which I do agree on.

Also we won't have the privilege to pick our guys as the teams ahead of us will do it for us, personally I think of these guys only Dobson and maybe Wahlstrom might remain.  Zadina and or BT might slip which would really put us in a pickle.

Bouchard has a beard, he’s a puberty freak.

He’s literally done growing. 

Boqvist and Dobson are on a slower curve, physically. I wouldn’t hold that against them for a team that doesn’t have much of a need to rush in D prospects yet. The core is only half-built. 

Bouchard is a safe pick, much like MT was last draft; a player who could likely step into a meaningful, Full Time role in the NHL, but JB didn’t pick that... He picked the skinny kid. I can see him doing it again. 

9 hours ago, mephnick said:

Sure. I saw the Islanders amazing group of forewards miss the playoffs this year because their defense is paper thin.

I'm always in the BPA camp, but we need defensemen at some point or we'll never seriously compete.

We might not be bad on the back end. OJ is only 20 and going to be a stud. And there are no draft players in the draft ready to step in.  The team showed signs of brilliance last year and expect them to grow off that. If we fix our goaltending woes are defense will look better on paper . You can't play defense if you expect your goalie to let the first shot in every game. Expect bounce back years from a few. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Boqvist and Dobson are on a slower curve, physically. I wouldn’t hold that against them for a team that doesn’t have much of a need to rush in D prospects yet. The core is only half-built. 

Bouchard is a safe pick, much like MT was last draft; a player who could likely step into a meaningful, Full Time role in the NHL, but JB didn’t pick that... He picked the skinny kid. I can see him doing it again. 

I see Boqvist already on the board before us, I'd be happy if he was available and we picked him over Bouchard.  Dobson and Hughes  I'm not as fond of but if Benning picks them over Bouchard (who likely won't be there anyways), I'm ok with that too.  

I do however think Benning knows he's got a time frame that's only going to be more pressing with each year, so I'm pretty sure Bouchard will be his pick if he's still there...it's possible Ottawa and Montreal pick defenseman because that's what they need, which will shake things up, Zadina and BT could slip, in which case I would hope Benning snatches one up.  

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I see Boqvist already on the board before us, I'd be happy if he was available and we picked him over Bouchard.  Dobson and Hughes  I'm not as fond of but if Benning picks them over Bouchard (who likely won't be there anyways), I'm ok with that too.  

I do however think Benning knows he's got a time frame that's only going to be more pressing with each year, so I'm pretty sure Bouchard will be his pick if he's still there...it's possible Ottawa and Montreal pick defenseman because that's what they need, which will shake things up, Zadina and BT could slip, in which case I would hope Benning snatches one up.  

Best gig in hockey, I swear, being a Canucks GM these past few years. 

Even for fans, it works itself out. 

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎01 at 1:06 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd still be quite happy with Dobson, Bouchard, or Hughes.

Contrary from what Goose said, Button seems to think Boqvist struggles against stiffer competition.

I havnt watched enough of any junior player to have any favorites, so Ill definitely qualify anything I have to say with a big ?.  That being said...

ALOT of Bouchard's points came from shots near the blue line.  Worked for him in junior but I don't think it'll be so easy in the NHL- it's not like he has a bomb of a shot anyways.  Same with Dobson.  He likes to shoot from the blue line or set up for one timers near the face off circle.  Doesn't have a booming shot either.  With what little I saw of Boqvist and Walhstrom I did see some good agility and puckhandling or 1v1 skill but I havnt watched enough of either to say the Canucks should definitely go for them.

I'm more interested if JB sees a diamond in the rough and possibly trades down.  That would be neat.  

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could Palmu be Ehlers on that line?  

Dahlen (MVP), Lind??

We have some horses in the stable, ready to run.

I would not be surprised if these young guns, if given TOI, will gel and take the Canucks to another level sooner than later. It would be good to get a skilled horse like Tkachuk to solidify the forward group for years to come...with Kane (UFA) and a Dman (UFA) and a trade for a dman...they could be at another level. quickly.

If the young guys take off...coach then needs to limit the vets TOI...because we already know what Gagner and LE can do...

A young player with speed, skill and hockey IQ could quickly surpass Gagner and LE if give the opportunity, but of course, they need to prove themselves when given the opportunity. When they do prove themselves, then they need to be played more than Gagner and LE...not the other way around (first they need to prove themselves).

I'm looking forward to this influx of speed, skill and hockey IQ...we have 2 MVPs coming and a Hobby Baker winner coming (3 MVPs).

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Dahlen (MVP), Lind??

I would not be surprised if these young guns, if given TOI, will gel and take the Canucks to another level sooner than later. It would be good to get a skilled horse like Tkachuk to solidify the forward group for years to come...with Kane (UFA) and a Dman (UFA) and a trade for a dman...they could be at another level. quickly.

If the young guys take off...coach then needs to limit the vets TOI...because we already know what Gagner and LE can do...

A young player with speed, skill and hockey IQ could quickly surpass Gagner and LE if give the opportunity, but of course, they need to prove themselves when given the opportunity. When they do prove themselves, then they need to be played more than Gagner and LE...not the other way around (first they need to prove themselves).

I'm looking forward to this influx of speed, skill and hockey IQ...we have 2 MVPs coming and a Hobby Baker winner coming (3 MVPs).

Heard during one of the Bruin's games these playoffs (might have been when the beat the LOSER Leafs ha ha ha) that they played nine rookies this season!!!!!

I totally agree with you that we need to play the youth.  We will be a better team sooner, if we do that.  It's like we are pulling a band aid off really slow.  We need to rip that sucker off!!!!  

11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Dahlen (MVP), Lind??

I'm hoping that Green benches underperforming veterans whenever possible to send a message this upcoming season. I want him to be ruthless with doling out ice time and making every player on the team accountable for their position.

On 2018-05-01 at 11:12 AM, Alcoblue24 said:

This coming draft I really think the Canucks should draft Oliver Wahlstrom at #7. 

I know the Canucks need D but in the history of 7th overall picks not many good defensemen were drafted (exception Ryan Suter)

Not really sold on Boqvist (concussion history) Hughes (small, not really suited for the west) Bouchard (see him as a stay at home D, not much upside) Dobson (maybe, skates funny to me)

On the other hand many elite Centers and decent RWs have been drafted at that spot. (Keller, Scheifele, Skinner, Kadri, Voracek, Malhotra, Doan, Arnott, Okposo)

Source: http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/7th-overall/70509/

Based on this little research on history I suggest we grab Oliver Wahlstrom at #7.

Strengths

- excellent shot

- good skater

- good size and strength (6'1, 205)

- elite decision-making

Potential: Mikko Rantanen

Can never have enough Swedish players especially our connection and rich history with them.

What are your thoughts? 

I agree with this assessment. 

Wahlstrom could be a great fit here.

A lot of analysts are comparing him to Boeser.

If we got another player like that, I'm all for it.

The only knock on him is his tendency to disappear when things get tough. That is a concern, being in the west where things tend to be a bit rougher and the need for pure determination to push through the meatgrinder that is the west is more a need than an option.

But, if inconsistency can be weened out of his game than I'm all for it. His skills are undeniable.

He is, however, being touted as one who may move up in the draft. 

At 7, I am hoping he is there as I don't see a dman I want. If we go in that direction, my hope is to see us drop down to 12 or 13 and pick Bode Wilde or, simply take him at 7 ( JB has been known to take players above their ranking). He possesses a complete skill set that fits the west.  

1 minute ago, komodo0921 said:

I agree with this assessment. 

Wahlstrom could be a great fit here.

A lot of analysts are comparing him to Boeser.

If we got another player like that, I'm all for it.

The only knock on him is his tendency to disappear when things get tough. That is a concern, being in the west where things tend to be a bit rougher and the need for pure determination to push through the meatgrinder that is the west is more a need than an option.

But, if inconsistency can be weened out of his game than I'm all for it. His skills are undeniable.

He is, however, being touted as one who may move up in the draft. 

At 7, I am hoping he is there as I don't see a dman I want. If we go in that direction, my hope is to see us drop down to 12 or 13 and pick Bode Wilde or, simply take him at 7 ( JB has been known to take players above their ranking). He possesses a complete skill set that fits the west.  

No thanks to any player, who disappears when the going gets tough.  That's a character flaw, that shows a guy is afraid.  Don't want any guys who are like that, especially when we get to the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

No thanks to any player, who disappears when the going gets tough.  That's a character flaw, that shows a guy is afraid.  Don't want any guys who are like that, especially when we get to the playoffs. 

This is my worry about him, but JB seems to get good reads on the truth of a player's character. 

If he does pick him, I trust that he doesn't see it as an unrepairable problem.

If that's who JB picks ill be happy with him. He is not my preferred pick at the 7 spot, as I would rather Hughes or Dobson, but if JB thinks he is BPA available then I'll jump on board. While JB has made a few questionable picks in Olli and Jake (for the record I still like both picks) with a pick like last year you have to just sit back and expect JB knows how to do his job. He may have chose the best player from last years draft at 5.

On 2018-05-02 at 5:19 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

I agree with that, Chychrun was ahead of everyone in his class the year before his draft largely due to his puberty freak was on and was a man child.  Then his peers grew a little and he didn't stand out as much, got injured and fell right out of the top ten.  Valardi did the same thing.  

The big difference between Chychrun and Bouchard is talent, of which Bouchard is better IMO, and the stats back it up.  Dobson is a quicker big guy, who will gain some weight and who knows maybe it will slow him down, not likely but it could happen.  I'd be happy with any of these guys, including Hughes....

On 5/3/2018 at 8:09 AM, billabong said:

I once saw this savage tweet

”the next west coast express” or at least what coulda been...

M. tkachuk-horvat-Ehlers

Ehlers has just as many goals in this years playoffs as Virtanen does (or is that vice-versa).   MT is one slew foot away from licking people next.

Horvat deserves better than you have suggested.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:15 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm hoping that Green benches underperforming veterans whenever possible to send a message this upcoming season. I want him to be ruthless with doling out ice time and making every player on the team accountable for their position.

I think we'll see that start to happen now that the Sedins are gone.

Archived