The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great Britain to play in 2019 IIHF World Championships

Great Britain’s men’s hockey team will be in Slovakia for the 2019 IIHF World Championship.

The Queen’s finest finished first in the 2018 Division I standings, punching their ticket to the top group for next year, in what will be their first appearance in 25 years.  The Brits entered Saturday’s game with nine points — tied with Kazakhstan and Italy for most among the six teams competing — but trailing in head-to-head goal differential. The top two teams qualify for promotion.

It all came down to the event’s final contest, which saw Great Britain take on host Hungary, which would have jumped into a top-two spot (alongside Kazakhstan) with a regulation win.  Hungary got out to a 2-0 lead, before Robert Dowd, a forward with the Sheffield Steelers of the United Kingdom’s Elite Ice Hockey League, scored with nine minutes left in the game to give the Brits some life.

Great Britain’s Robert Farmer scored the equalizer from a sharp angle with just 15.8 seconds left in regulation, earning the Brits at least a point and clinching the top spot in the group.

“It was rubbish but I just don’t care,” Farmer said after the game. “I cannot put into words what I am feeling right now. It is so hard to sum it up.

“We are now going to play the best teams in the world next year and that is so amazing.”

Ben O’Connor wound up scoring the winner in a meaningless shootout, as the Union Jack will be flown alongside the Canadian and Russian flags next spring in Slovakia.  It will be the first time since 1994 that the Brits will send a team into the elite group. It finished dead last among the 12 teams then, losing its final group game 10-0 to Austria.  While no one would confuse Great Britain with a hockey power, it is one of just six countries to have won a gold medal in ice hockey at the Olympics, having done so in 1936.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/great-britain-qualifies-2019-hockey-worlds-dramatic-fashion/

http://www.independentsportsnews.com/2018/05/02/jackson-whistle-great-britain-qualify-2019-hockey-worlds/

I think it's great how they have all sorts of divisions and teams in each division have the opportunity to win their way into the division above.

If you drill down in the divisions you will find nations that you had no idea even had a national hockey team, like South Africa, Hong Kong and United Arab Emirates.

• 3 months later...

A season of crowds like this in the NHL would do wonders for the excitement factor. I think we underestimate arena atmosphere over here. 

If the GB team brings some of it's soccer atmosphere to IIHF WC it would be amazing. Like the Swedes they show their passion for the game.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

A season of crowds like this in the NHL would do wonders for the excitement factor. I think we underestimate arena atmosphere over here. 

If the GB team brings some of it's soccer atmosphere to IIHF WC it would be amazing. Like the Swedes they show their passion for the game.

If I had the choice to pick either being in an NHL crowd, or that one for every game I go to, I would pick NHL. I would rather focus on watching the game than have huge flags blocking my view everyone around me is jumping around singing the entire game. No offense intended towards European fans, it's just my opinion. Post2Post YouTube channel actually has a great podcast video talking about all this.

12 hours ago, alfstonker said:

thH6HI4T5L.jpg

14 hours ago, Roberts said:

If I had the choice to pick either being in an NHL crowd, or that one for every game I go to, I would pick NHL. I would rather focus on watching the game than have huge flags blocking my view everyone around me is jumping around singing the entire game. No offense intended towards European fans, it's just my opinion. Post2Post YouTube channel actually has a great podcast video talking about all this.

I think you would find the flags are lowered when the play is taking place. If you watched the vid you will see there were no flags when the goal went in at 4:30.

Actually while there was no reason to disrespect Canadians or NHL hockey fans (in that second video)  I have often heard our own fans moaning about the atmosphere at Rodgers, the face stuffing, the people on their phones and the ultimate sign of boredom, the Mexican Wave.

If you watch that video almost everyone you see is joining in, even those who look to be more conservatively dressed and north of 30 years old.

Can you imagine what a night out at Rodgers would be like with that "type" of atmosphere? I think it would be the nearest thing to leaving a great rock concert - youngsters would love it. Also did you notice, hardly a steward/policeman in sight. They were all behaving as far as I could see.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think you would find the flags are lowered when the play is taking place. If you watched the vid you will see there were no flags when the goal went in at 4:30.

Actually while there was no reason to disrespect Canadians or NHL hockey fans (in that second video)  I have often heard our own fans moaning about the atmosphere at Rodgers, the face stuffing, the people on their phones and the ultimate sign of boredom, the Mexican Wave.

If you watch that video almost everyone you see is joining in, even those who look to be more conservatively dressed and north of 30 years old.

Can you imagine what a night out at Rodgers would be like with that "type" of atmosphere? I think it would be the nearest thing to leaving a great rock concert - youngsters would love it. Also did you notice, hardly a steward/policeman in sight. They were all behaving as far as I could see.

People on their cellphones is a big issue. When I go to games, I am always fully focused in watching the games and never on cellphones. I also try my best to have any snacks during the intermission so I can still fully focus on the game. It is a different culture over in Europe for sure, I think playoff atmosphere in the NHL is still pretty awesome the way it is but one issue for Canucks games is tickets can be so expensive that you only get more-wealthy people going to the games that aren't as big of fans as others who cant afford to be going.

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

People on their cellphones is a big issue. When I go to games, I am always fully focused in watching the games and never on cellphones. I also try my best to have any snacks during the intermission so I can still fully focus on the game. It is a different culture over in Europe for sure, I think playoff atmosphere in the NHL is still pretty awesome the way it is but one issue for Canucks games is tickets can be so expensive that you only get more-wealthy people going to the games that aren't as big of fans as others who cant afford to be going.

Agreed.

On 2018-08-12 at 8:56 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

I actually play in the CBHA against a guy, Mike Hammond, who played for Great Britain and led their league in points/scoring. He was a huge factor in them moving up.

I grew up with him. Magic Mike with the puck. He's a beast. 

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I grew up with him. Magic Mike with the puck. He's a beast. 

Shut out his brother, Gary, and the rest of the Devils/Islanders/Low Standards in a ball hockey tournament this summer. I like to brag about it.

Garys not quite as good as Mike but still very good, though Mikes stick handling is atrociously good. Do you know Ian Hall per chance?

9 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Shut out his brother, Gary, and the rest of the Devils/Islanders/Low Standards in a ball hockey tournament this summer. I like to brag about it.

Garys not quite as good as Mike but still very good, though Mikes stick handling is atrociously good. Do you know Ian Hall per chance?

Nah I don't, haha. Gary is a beast, I remember a petition from racquet club trying to ban him from minor hockey haha

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 5:40 PM, Ilunga said:

I am hoping that one day my country,Australia gets to play at the world champs. I took my new partner for a skate, then afterwards watched our all Star game. The standard of hockey was reasonably good.

Australia is in Division II, ranked 36 in the world.  That's a long climb to make it to the championship division.

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Australia is in Division II, ranked 36 in the world.  That's a long climb to make it to the championship division.

I know,however one can live in hope. I had been bringing my son since the age of 1 to watch hockey here in Aus. Just before our seperation he was asking me when would I take him to learn to skate. He is now 5 and I will see him soon. I have the dream that he might become a great hockey player and represent Aus on the world stage. 

Archived