• Noah Dobson
    • Barrett Hayton
    • Oliver Wahlstrom
    • Brady Tkachuk
    • Other
  3. 3. Third Choice

4. 4. Do Not Want

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 07:00 AM

On 5/4/2018 at 3:38 AM, EuroCanuck said:

I think many hear one small criticism of a player and then decide they don’t want him. Most here and most fans have not actually seen even a few of these players play. They have read scouting reports from amateurs and tv pundits and watched some YouTube highlights. 

If you look at the post (either in the thread or a different draft thread), someone posted the results of the same poll here from past years. What is shows is this site is not very good at judging the best players in the draft. Now this is not a slight, it’s just the reality I mentioned above exhibiting itself. No one here has really seen enough to know who’s the bpa so people just make a pick and stick to it - thankfully that’s not what our scouts do!

i have watched 20 plus knights games and about the same of Kotkaniemi. I have not watched guys like Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or any of the other dmen in our range. That being said, the knock of Bouchards skating was always “comparative” to his peers in his draft class, not as a “stand alone” criticism. He is seen by many pro scouts as an above average skater, but relative to elite skaters like Dhalin, Hughes, Bovquist he isn’t at THAT level. Many here then translate into he can’t skate. In fact the interview with the Canucks army guy was suggesting he skated like Gaunce - clearly this guy had not watched even a YouTube highlight.

Both Bouchard and Kotkaniemi are going to be impact players in the NHL based on my watching of their games, skill, skating, mobility, and competitiveness. Relative to other players I can’t tell you who’s better, but if we end up with either, fans will be very happy in time imho. 

It's always nice to get evaluation from someone who has seen these prospects in live action.

Let's hope at least one of them is available at #7. I get a feeling that Bouchard will be taken at #5 or #6 but Kotkaniemi may be available.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

It's always nice to get evaluation from someone who has seen these prospects in live action.

Let's hope at least one of them is available at #7. I get a feeling that Bouchard will be taken at #5 or #6 but Kotkaniemi may be available.

Is the new and super fast NHL too quick for Kotkanmiemi?  For him to get drafted top 10 I think he would need to play center, and not wing.  

On 2018-05-03 at 6:38 PM, EuroCanuck said:

I think many hear one small criticism of a player and then decide they don’t want him. 

That being said, the knock of Bouchards skating was always “comparative” to his peers in his draft class, not as a “stand alone” criticism. He is seen by many pro scouts as an above average skater, but relative to elite skaters like Dhalin, Hughes, Bovquist he isn’t at THAT level. Many here then translate into he can’t skate.

Great post! 

I'd like to point out some of the opposite is also true though. Suggesting you prefer one of the guys who do have elite skating is not the same as declaring Bouchard a 'poor' skater where it seems a lot of folks here are taking it that way.

I'm aloud to think the other guys are better skaters and perhaps better choices while still thinking Bouchard's skating is still 'good' and he's still a very good prospect and entirely worthy of a top 10 pick.

Fan A - We need Boqvist!

Fan B - No, we need Tkachuk or Wahlstrom!

Fan C - No, you're both wrong, we need Bouchard or Dobson!

Fan D - Kotkaniemi is having a great tournament, we need him!

Benning: "the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select with our first pick, from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, Barrett Hayton".

lol, hey, you never know. He's got good size, can play C or wing, and has been compared to Patrice Bergeron (Benning may like this) 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Great post! 

I'd like to point out some of the opposite is also true though. Suggesting you prefer one of the guys who do have elite skating is not the same as declaring Bouchard a 'poor' skater where it seems a lot of folks here are taking it that way.

I'm aloud to think the other guys are better skaters and perhaps better choices while still thinking Bouchard's skating is still 'good' and he's still a very good prospect and entirely worthy of a top 10 pick.

Agreed! I just think many here don’t seem to see nuance- it’s black or white- great skater or poor. Not elite, above average, average, poor. There is a continuum of skating ability, and Bouchard is top quartile just not top 5%

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This has to be the most divided I've ever seen CDC. There's no strong consensus on anything, it seems.

I think after the top 3, teams will be the same. It’s going to be an interesting draft. The players in the 4-12 range are so close it will come down to scouts, interviews and needs. I really think people will be surprised relative to rankings how that next group plays out.

56 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Fan A - We need Boqvist!

Fan B - No, we need Tkachuk or Wahlstrom!

Fan C - No, you're both wrong, we need Bouchard or Dobson!

Fan D - Kotkaniemi is having a great tournament, we need him!

Benning: "the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select with our first pick, from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, Barrett Hayton".

lol, hey, you never know. He's got good size, can play C or wing, and has been compared to Patrice Bergeron (Benning may like this) 

Im Fan H- Bring on Hughes please!

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This has to be the most divided I've ever seen CDC. There's no strong consensus on anything, it seems.

It's certainly a nice spread. I think it comes down to the fact that no one really knows after 3 what will happen. Players are flip-flopping all over the place right now. The other factor is that people were so sure about Glass last year, then Pettersson came up and surprised the majority here so people are trying harder to pick out the surprise pick if there is one this year. All I know is that even after the pick is made, the debates about who should've been picked will be happening for years to come with the variance of opinions.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. I see that as a real postive. It means there should be some real quality players at number 7. I'm confident JB will make the right choice. 

It's almost even...and there are many votes for both wanting Tchupchuck as first choice and for not wanting him at all....

I don't understand so many people not wanting Bouchard either...he is definitely one of the top 4 D after Dahlin ...and we need a D. that can produce points.

Hughes

Bouchard

Dobson

Boqvist

One of those 4 please...and in that order....

2 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

If Brady T falls to 7th I would take him but if he is gone I like Dobson.

If Brady T falls to 7 (I’d be completely shocked if that happened) the Flames and Oilers will be calling JB offering up ?  

Flames - Hamilton and Bennett

Oilers - 10 plus Poolparty

On 5/2/2018 at 6:57 PM, -AJ- said:

I love looking back on who we actually pick for these old polls.

I'm picking:

1. Boqvist

2. Tkachuk

3. Bouchard

I don't have any players I particularly don't want, so I just went with a name I've never heard of.

Regarding my picks, I suspect Tkachuk will very likely be gone by 7th and I think Boqvist probably will too, so I suspect Bouchard is my first plausible pick.

AJ, I think it is entirely plausible that Tkachuk is available.....it all depends on who is selected 4th.  I think the one team that is a wild card in terms of what they want is Ottawa.  IF they go with the offensive Dman and the top three picks are as most say they will be, I think both Arizona and Detroit follow suit quickly as both want D over F and thinking this may be a sign that early second round may not have as many left if there is a "run" on these, I can see both teams bypassing BT as they are both far deeper up front than on the rear end.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

AJ, I think it is entirely plausible that Tkachuk is available.....it all depends on who is selected 4th.  I think the one team that is a wild card in terms of what they want is Ottawa.  IF they go with the offensive Dman and the top three picks are as most say they will be, I think both Arizona and Detroit follow suit quickly as both want D over F and thinking this may be a sign that early second round may not have as many left if there is a "run" on these, I can see both teams bypassing BT as they are both far deeper up front than on the rear end.

If BT falls to us, could JB create a bidding war for our pick?  Could the Isles offer 11 and 12?  BT could be the ideal winger for Barzel.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If BT falls to us, could JB create a bidding war for our pick?  Could the Isles offer 11 and 12?  BT could be the ideal winger for Barzel.  

Interesting scenario.   I think it really depends who is still on the board.   A trade of a high pick to an eastern based franchise is a lot less risky and if all the key people JT really "liked" are off the board and he is indifferent for the most part for the next five picks or so, having two versus one could be a very interesting thought.

34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think Dorion was quoted saying that the top 4 could step into the NHL next year. That would likely imply Tkachuk. Given the situation the Senators are in (they have to give Colorado their 1st next year no matter what), they'd likely be more interested in an NHL player more than teams normally are. All of the defensemen (Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, etc.) are all at least one year out, same with the other forwards (Kotkaniemi, Wahlstrom, etc.). 

I personally wouldn't take Tkachuk there (he's hovering around 10th for me), but I could see it happening. It would just bump another defenseman down to the Canucks, so I'm good with it. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If Brady T falls to 7 (I’d be completely shocked if that happened) the Flames and Oilers will be calling JB offering up ?  

Flames - Hamilton and Bennett

Oilers - 10 plus Poolparty

I would do 10 plus Poolparty for our 7th.

Archived