The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Sedin Treatment!!!!!

iceman64

16 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This reminded me right away of the Sedins. Their whole careers they were called sisters, and all kinds of names, they were punched and targeted, but kept getting back up and played to win. They carried the Canucks for many years, even bringing them to Game 7 of the SCF. Soft players don't get to the SCF. I have a ton of respect for the Sedins, what they had to go through, how they exceled, and even flourished, under tough conditions. And they never complained. This is kind of how Gordie Howe was. He respected his team mates immensely, respected the officials, his team mates families, the fans, the coaches and owners, even the guy who picked up the trash after the game, everyone involved. I see the Sedins having similar character. We were very lucky to have them.

The Sedins are 6'1" and 6'2" and both close to 200 lbs. Leipsic, Motte, Goldoblin, Baertschi, Gagner are all under 5'11" even though their game sheets show them "rounded up".

This small size might be okay for the regular season and some eastern divisions but not so much out west. But then the job of this management group is to put bums in the seats and convince the fans "anything can happen" in the playoffs even if the bookies have ranked the team far below being favoured by then.

Gordie Howe would have been suspended so many times in today's game, he was one of the toughest fighters and meanest players, he was also a freak, immensely strong with huge hands he could pick up 100 lb sacks of grain in the middle of the bag with one hand with his arm straight out and played both left and right handed, predominantly right though. He would wait weeks to get even and had famous elbows. In an exhibition old timers game vs a college a player from the other team was playing all out, there was 35 years difference in ages, Howe went over to the kid and said what are you doing embarrassing us like this, it just an exhibition game, the kid laughed, the next thing he was laying on the ice, Espisito asked Howe what happened, Howe told him the kid didn't show any respect "so I speared him in the nuts".

Well one line Boston got eliminated, Chara and a couple of others are in for surgery.

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

By God I hope you are right....

The way I see it, spook, the team has the opportunity to begin a new chapter now, a chapter where skill and speed are valued but also a chapter where the team adds some serious muscle.

Benning, while a fan of the speed and skill of the younger players coming up, also truly values physical play. He didn't grab Gudbranson in the trade because of his point totals. He wanted a huge, physical defenseman who relishes the physical side of the game. He got it in Guddy.

He signed Virtanen not only because of his speed and ability to score, but because he hits like a truck and enjoys it.

He signed Dorsett because of his tenacity and fearlessness. Sadly, Derek's career ended prematurely. Archibald was a very welcome addition in the latter half of last season too.

The likes of MacEwen and Gadjovich coming up through the ranks in the next few seasons will be a welcome sight.

I do see Benning being active in free agency if the right players are available, with Evander Kane being the primary target, much like he has been the last few seasons in potential trades. If Evander decides to go to free agency this summer, I do believe Benning stands a very strong chance of signing him, and adding Kane to the roster would be a massive upgrade and a clear signal of the direction and style of play this team wants to play.

Consider too that Linden rarely shied away from the physical side of hockey and had an amazing threshold for pain, and Green was no shrinking wallflower either. I can't see any of these folks want to watch the team, especially the younger burgeoning stars, get assaulted on the daily. 

47 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The way I see it, spook, the team has the opportunity to begin a new chapter now, a chapter where skill and speed are valued but also a chapter where the team adds some serious muscle.

Benning, while a fan of the speed and skill of the younger players coming up, also truly values physical play. He didn't grab Gudbranson in the trade because of his point totals. He wanted a huge, physical defenseman who relishes the physical side of the game. He got it in Guddy.

He signed Virtanen not only because of his speed and ability to score, but because he hits like a truck and enjoys it.

He signed Dorsett because of his tenacity and fearlessness. Sadly

Derek's career ended prematurely. Archibald was a very welcome addition in the latter half of last season too.

The likes of MacEwen and Gadjovich coming up through the ranks in the next few seasons will be a welcome sight.

I do see Benning being active in free agency if the right players are available, with Evander Kane being the primary target, much like he has been the last few seasons in potential trades. If Evander decides to go to free agency this summer, I do believe Benning stands a very strong chance of signing him, and adding Kane to the roster would be a massive upgrade and a clear signal of the direction and style of play this team wants to play.

Consider too that Linden rarely shied away from the physical side of hockey and had an amazing threshold for pain, and Green was no shrinking wallflower either. I can't see any of these folks want to watch the team, especially the younger burgeoning stars, get assaulted on the daily. 

Cheers PB. 

I have to say that this would delight me no end, as while I want to win a cup, and the talk is speed and skill over size, I'm so sick of the turning the other cheek. 

Too many times are one of our players left to fend for him self, when being slightly Physical, and while I have rat face and BOSTON in general, I do admire their 1 for all attitude.

Love the excitement of old time hockey.

I do see size being added to the system, but would still like to see more top line/ top D size  added.  

So I'm totally onboard with us getting tougher... 

PS. Love to watch the Jets at the moment for the very same reason.... Wonder if Ehlers would have lasted as long in Vancouver, without being destroyed...

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The Sedins are 6'1" and 6'2" and both close to 200 lbs. Leipsic, Motte, Goldoblin, Baertschi, Gagner are all under 5'11" even though their game sheets show them "rounded up".

This small size might be okay for the regular season and some eastern divisions but not so much out west. But then the job of this management group is to put bums in the seats and convince the fans "anything can happen" in the playoffs even if the bookies have ranked the team far below being favoured by then.

Gordie Howe would have been suspended so many times in today's game, he was one of the toughest fighters and meanest players, he was also a freak, immensely strong with huge hands he could pick up 100 lb sacks of grain in the middle of the bag with one hand with his arm straight out and played both left and right handed, predominantly right though. He would wait weeks to get even and had famous elbows. In an exhibition old timers game vs a college a player from the other team was playing all out, there was 35 years difference in ages, Howe went over to the kid and said what are you doing embarrassing us like this, it just an exhibition game, the kid laughed, the next thing he was laying on the ice, Espisito asked Howe what happened, Howe told him the kid didn't show any respect "so I speared him in the nuts".

Well one line Boston got eliminated, Chara and a couple of others are in for surgery.

Good story about Howe....

But with regards to all the hobbits you just mentioned, I don't think you'll see many of them on the team in 2 years time. 

While rebuilding, JB still have to ice a team. Expect 2 if not 3 of those mentioned in UTICA at the start of next season, depending on who breaks through in camp... At least I hope so... But lets see what he brings in during FA...

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers PB. 

I have to say that this would delight me no end, as while I want to win a cup, and the talk is speed and skill over size, I'm so sick of the turning the other cheek. 

Too many times are one of our players left to fend for him self, when being slightly Physical, and while I have rat face and BOSTON in general, I do admire their 1 for all attitude.

Love the excitement of old time hockey.

Seeing Gudbranson come to Markstrom's defence (pun intended) when Atkinson was trying to fish out the puck from underneath his pads was awesome, as was Guddy putting the fear of Gord into Clusterfluck when he was harassing Virtanen. As much as I do respect and admire what the Sedins did here, having a more physically assertive leadership group will do a lot for the overall team mentality.

I do see size being added to the system, but would still like to see more top line/ top D size  added.

I would like to see a real mix of what Boeser, Petterson bring in speed and skill, with some larger, more aggressive players forechecking the ever loving hell out of the opposing defense, with Bo bridging that gap with his skill and bullish frame.

So I'm totally onboard with us getting tougher... 

The Canucks have already, but need to make it as much of a priority as the continual integration of skill and speed. I think Travis is the right coach to instill a team wide pack mentality.

PS. Love to watch the Jets at the moment for the very same reason.... Wonder if Ehlers would have lasted as long in Vancouver, without being destroyed...

The Jets are a perfect example, even more than the Bruins, of a team being united in a way of playing for each other.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Seeing Gudbranson come to Markstrom's defence (pun intended) when Atkinson was trying to fish out the puck from underneath his pads was awesome, as was Guddy putting the fear of Gord into Clusterfluck when he was harassing Virtanen. As much as I do respect and admire what the Sedins did here, having a more physically assertive leadership group will do a lot for the overall team mentality.

I would like to see a real mix of what Boeser, Petterson bring in speed and skill, with some larger, more aggressive players forechecking the ever loving hell out of the opposing defense, with Bo bridging that gap with his skill and bullish frame.

The Canucks have already, but need to make it as much of a priority as the continual integration of skill and speed. I think Travis is the right coach to instill a team wide pack mentality.

The Jets are a perfect example, even more than the Bruins, of a team being united in a way of playing for each other.

+1 nothing to add. Totally agree.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Groot, did anyone ever knock him down? The next time Guddy "straightens" someone out will put him even with Groot.Guddy does only have 66 games or so with the Canucks so far, Groot had around 75?

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Groot, did anyone ever knock him down? The next time Guddy "straightens" someone out will put him even with Groot.Guddy does only have 66 games or so with the Canucks so far, Groot had around 75?

Ferland cleaned his clock pretty good, if I remember correctly. Nikita had to go to the quiet room for that one.

Gudbranson leveled Milan Lucic in the first game of the season, manhandled Tom Wilson, and neutralized David Pastrnak in the last game against Boston. I think he does just fine as a physical player, in more than one facet of the game.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ferland cleaned his clock pretty good, if I remember correctly. Nikita had to go to the quiet room for that one.

Gudbranson leveled Milan Lucic in the first game of the season, manhandled Tom Wilson, and neutralized David Pastrnak in the last game against Boston. I think he does just fine as a physical player, in more than one facet of the game.

To bad he can't get more than one point every 9 games.:(

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I get what your saying, but I think there will be a concerted effort by Benning to seek FAs with size and heft to insulate the likes of Boeser and Petterson. If Kane decides that free agency is for him, Benning has a very strong chance of signing him. The likes of Reaves and Cole will be available, most likely, and either would be a decent add. Same goes for Wilson. 

The pairing of Edler and Gudbranson was a solid one that may return next season. Both were overtly physical with Edler chasing Johansen after the latter cowardly struck Guddy in the sack. I see Gudbranson having a stellar season that may turn some heads around the league. 

Jake came into his own last season and will continue to do so next season. Archie should be on the roster next season as well, as he had some great chemistry with Sutter. 

Regarding the pack mentality, I think that there will be a shift in how this team operates now that the Sedins are retired. A move towards a more aggressive style of play already seemed like it was beginning, but couldn't fully take hold due to the Sedins still being the defacto leaders on the team. 

I'm feeling better already.:gocan:

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see how having the Sedins here ever prevented that. It's up to the GM to stock the roster.

17 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He signed Dorsett because of his tenacity and fearlessness. Sadly, Derek's career ended prematurely. Archibald was a very welcome addition in the latter half of last season too.

Intersting Phil, after reading your post I looked at some videos of Travis "in action"

Archived