The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Marcus Kruger, 3rd-round pick to Coyotes for Jordan Martinook, 4th-round pick

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Hurricanes trade Marcus Kruger, 3rd-round pick to Coyotes for Jordan Martinook, 4th-round pick
5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Who made this trade for Carolina? They have no coach or GM, so Dudley? Is he even there yet? The hands on owner?

? thats a great question. Who was there for the draft show? 

Ive always wondered (Calgary did this a few years ago), how teams can trade while the playoffs are still going on?  What about the playoff teams, what if one of them were interested in Kruger but obviously can't use him until next season yet a non-playoff team swoops in and grabs him?

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Ive always wondered (Calgary did this a few years ago), how teams can trade while the playoffs are still going on?  What about the playoff teams, what if one of them were interested in Kruger but obviously can't use him until next season yet a non-playoff team swoops in and grabs him?

I suppose playoff teams could make a trade too, but the player wouldn't be eligible to play in the playoffs.  Maybe they could make a deal using the ever popular 'future considerations' and then complete the deal once their playoffs are over?

There seems to be one or two minor deals that happen every year while the playoffs are on.

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

I doubt that playoff teams are too concerned about making trades while still playing. However, if they were, they could probably agree on a deal that would not be announced until their season is done.

I don't think this is really much different than some trades that happen in mid-season where some GM's claim surprise they didn't even know so and so was even available or being shopped.

27 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

What a difference a couple years makes.  The names mentioned in that link.....Hammer, Weber, Tryamkin, Pedan, Bartkowski......not one left in the organization.....well, I guess one remains to be seen^_^

44 minutes ago, Russ said:

You can basically make trades at any point, other than christmas and all star break i believe, the trade deadline is just for playoff eligibility, so unless its for draft picks playoff teams wouldnt want to lose any pieces for a run

Good trade for Carolina. 

Not that Martinook is special. Just some size & checking to help their skilled wingers. And he's 24 or 25, handy as a depth winger. Cost? Moving down to a 4th from a 3rd.  Getting rid of Krueger's salary a bonus.

My guess is Carolina is looking to shed some salary and cutting down costs. This was one of them. Had to trade a 3rd to get rid of it and even though 10% retained salary, it's still a bit cheaper to pay for 10% of his salary AND Martinook's instead of having to keep paying Kruger the 3M+ he was making

17 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

My guess is Carolina is looking to shed some salary and cutting down costs. This was one of them. Had to trade a 3rd to get rid of it and even though 10% retained salary, it's still a bit cheaper to pay for 10% of his salary AND Martinook's instead of having to keep paying Kruger the 3M+ he was making

He also wasn't working out in Carolina and got demoted to the AHL in early February.  Gives him a fresh start.

Archived