The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck Contracts

RetroCanuck

I was confused recently when Linden said they needed to be careful with the number of contracts they hand out this summer. Originally I looked and could see roughly 10 coming off the books in Sedin, Sedin, Jokinen, Dowd, Labate, Molino, Cederholm, Stewart, Cassels and Megna.

Therefore I was confused because we've only added a few contracts with prospects, but not 10 for sure. Lind, Dahlen, Pettersson, Palmu etc.

With the current prospectsand players signed and signing I came up with a rough count of 42-45 contracts committed for next season. Not taking into account UFAs, 2018 1st rounder and free agents we will most likely sign.

It gets interesting when one looks at next year though because we could only have about 3 contracts coming off the books. Nilsson, Laplante, Edler(may be resigned), Del Zotto(may be resigned). Most of the other RFAs you'd expect to be resigned.

With the need to sign players such as Brassard, DiPietro, Lockwood, 2018picks, Tryamkin?, Gunnarsson?, Free agents, and traded for prospects we could be right up or over the contract limit next offseason.

Now it seems clear why Linden and co. are concerned about contracts this offseason. Approximately 45 contracts going into next season, and only a few coming off the books next offseason when other prospects need to be signed.

Of course I recognize this doesn't take into account trades, but can anyone point any holes in this logic?

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I was confused recently when Linden said they needed to be careful with the number of contracts they hand out this summer. Originally I looked and could see roughly 10 coming off the books in Sedin, Sedin, Jokinen, Dowd, Labate, Molino, Cederholm, Stewart, Cassels and Megna.

Of course I recognize this doesn't take into account trades, but can anyone point any holes in this logic?

Cap friendly has a good list of all of it. 

On the 50 man roster we have 9 UFAs 11 RFAs with 48/50 contracts going into next season. So lots of room but like you say you don't want to burn it too quickly and you also want to leave space to take on contract at the TDL heading into the draft we'll be hosting in 2019. 

Locks to re-sign would be Jake, Stecher, Pouliot, Granlund.

Possible trade bait: Baer

QO's: Boucher

As far as the rest go I think a lot depends on NHL free agency and if we get lucky in college free agency, maybe even a Euro deal post-worlds. 

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Therefore I was confused because we've only added a few contracts with prospects, but not 10 for sure. Lind, Dahlen, Pettersson, Palmu etc.

With the current prospectsand players signed and signing I came up with a rough count of 42-45 contracts committed for next season. Not taking into account UFAs, 2018 1st rounder and free agents we will most likely sign.

It gets interesting when one looks at next year though because we could only have about 3 contracts coming off the books. Nilsson, Laplante, Edler(may be resigned), Del Zotto(may be resigned). Most of the other RFAs you'd expect to be resigned.

With the need to sign players such as Brassard, DiPietro, Lockwood, 2018picks, Tryamkin?, Gunnarsson?, Free agents, and traded for prospects we could be right up or over the contract limit next offseason.

Now it seems clear why Linden and co. are concerned about contracts this offseason. Approximately 45 contracts going into next season, and only a few coming off the books next offseason when other prospects need to be signed.

Canucks are currently at 48 contracts but we know the Sedins are definitely coming off so that would bring us down to 46. Assuming Jokinen, Dowd, Labate, Molino, Cederholm, Stewart, Cassels and Megna are not coming back, as you have suggested, that would bring us down to 38 contracts. I think it is pretty safe to say that Pettersson will be signed to an ELC and we have 3 players (Candella, McKenzie and Stukel) we must sign by June 1st, 2018 or we lose their rights. If we sign 2 of them plus Pettersson we will be at 41 contracts. Brassard, DiPietro, Gunnarsson, Palmu and Zhukenov would need to be signed before June 1st, 2019 to retain their rights. I am going to guess that at least Brassard signs this year and that would bring us up to 42. Signing our 1st round pick this year will bring us up to 43 and I will use that as our current base.

Benning may be looking to sign 1 or 2 NCAA free agents that will not be available until August 15th. He may be looking at 2 UFA;s and that may get us to 46 contracts. Plus, I would think it likely that at least 1 or 2 of Cassells, Labate and Megna are re-signed and that could bring us back to about 48.

The last unknown would be how many spots do we want to leave open for trades bringing back bad contracts but adding draft picks?

Great OP, something I've been wondering about and hope that people are up to date. Stuff like Jasek, Palmu? Some kid named Pettersson? I dunno.

Linden and Benning should obviously be concerned. I liked the posters remark of shying away from FA. Lets just roll with it and at least have the Cinderella element be a possibility.

Archived