The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Tanev to Philadelphia

Watching the Flyers these playoffs, it's pretty clear they need defence. Tanev could be the perfect for their disastrous core. 

Philadelphia has some nice pieces, whether they're willing to part ways with them to solve their defensive problems is another thing.  

Morgan Frost is interesting. Centre, who came 2nd in OHL scoring last year. Some are penciling him in the 3C next year. Travis Sanheim has made strides this year, but if Philly is in a win now mode with Giroux peaking at his prime, swapping Tanev for Sanheim could make sense. The Flyers also hold the 14th OA pick this year, which could potentially see a player like Veleno, Farabee or Kotkaniemi fall to. 

We would have to take back salary in any sort of deal (MacDonald). We have the cap space so it shouldn't be an issue. 

What is fair value for any of these pieces? 

Could be an interesting move but I would definitely not take MacDonald back tbh. 14th overall + Wade Allison or Morgan Frost would be a good return for the Canucks. No chance Farabee, Veleno, or Kotkaniemi will be available at that position though.

47 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Could be an interesting move but I would definitely not take MacDonald back tbh. 14th overall + Wade Allison or Morgan Frost would be a good return for the Canucks. No chance Farabee, Veleno, or Kotkaniemi will be available at that position though.

You're dreaming if you think we could get 14th overall + a top prospect for Tanev.

He's got too many injuries. I do like the idea of trading with Philly, but I'm sure they aren't moving Sanheim as he's a top defensive prospect.  
I think many people know that Tanev is a great D-man, but he'll only be great for you for 2/3 of the season when he's playing. 
I think if we were to trade, we'd be able to get one of their center prospects back, as they have Couturier, Giroux, Patrick, Laughton, Filpulla, Lehtera, and Konecny who can all play Center, with Frost and Rubstov as center prospects. I'd say Frost + 2nd rounder would be more likely. 

I like PHI as a trading partner too, given they have some excellent young players including some of the better defenseman entering the league the past few years which we really need, but so far don't have.    They are lucky to have Patrick instead of " fill in the blank" which as someone else just suggested means they also have good depth at C.   We could also use that but really need a defensemen back if we trade Tanev, Sanheim would be the prize....you never do know so nothing wrong with asking, maybe they are serious about winning now, it makes sense given Giroux had found his groove back with Coutereir as a line mate.  Sure PIT handled them but they did prove they can score goals, and they keeping them out of the net was there main issue.... something Tanev happens to be very good at.

I like it, it makes some sense for PHI too.  They still have Provorov and Ghost...

They need a defensive center as well. 

The Hockey Writers had an article speculating that Sutter could be a target for Philly, and that their later 1st round pick (#19) could get the deal done.

Add in Tanev and take back a cap dump to even out the cap a bit, and we could really increase our prospect pool. 

Sure, it would hurt our defensive abilities this coming season, but this is all about the future...

I think the 2 teams make pretty good trading partners considering each teams situation.  We have what they need, and they have what we need.

I don't know what a deal would look like, but with Philly having 2 1st round picks, Frost, Sanheim and a wealth of other prospects, all the pieces for a deal to be made are there.  Maybe only for Sutter, or maybe only for Tanev... or maybe even a lesser deal for someone like Granlund. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I like PHI as a trading partner too, given they have some excellent young players including some of the better defenseman entering the league the past few years which we really need, but so far don't have.    They are lucky to have Patrick instead of " fill in the blank" which as someone else just suggested means they also have good depth at C.   We could also use that but really need a defensemen back if we trade Tanev, Sanheim would be the prize....you never do know so nothing wrong with asking, maybe they are serious about winning now, it makes sense given Giroux had found his groove back with Coutereir as a line mate.  Sure PIT handled them but they did prove they can score goals, and they keeping them out of the net was there main issue.... something Tanev happens to be very good at.

I like it, it makes some sense for PHI too.  They still have Provorov and Ghost...

Not sold on Sanheim. Philly was a mess in their own zone. I don't recall ever seeing D that bad. Philly needs to win now. Tanev may get hurt a lot but none of them is recurring. A move to the East with all the light travel should really help. That and nobody will have a 3rd year like the last 2. Proverov was brutal against Pitt Personally I would rather trade tanev never. But if we do let's wait until the trade deadline, unless Trouba becomes available. 

As for Philly Tanev lind a second if he misses 15 games for Prov and their 14th. TBh Prov is a little overrated and quite one dimensional. That 14th pick will do nothing for them this year. If JB really wants Prov and the extra pick. Throw in next years first, top 14 protected. If that won't get it done. let., Philly barely make it to the dance again and waste more time on a fast-closing window.

We have no need at all to sell ow on Tanev. Every gm would love a guy like tanev who plays hard every game every shift. If he plays 70 plus games and is healthy for the playoffs Philly wins that deal hands down.    

Sutter sounds more like a target than Tanev based on Hextall's end of season presser.  He said his priority is to find a C and a veteran penalty killer.

They aren't bringing back Mrazek or any of their UFAs other than maybe Filppula, but it sounded more like a backup plan if they can't find an upgrade at C.  They have a lot of cap space this summer but will have key RFAs to sign in a year.

He also wants to improve on D but then also says that if they have to go young on D so be it.  Gostisbehere and Provorov are now considered veterans and guys like Sanheim and Hagg are ready for full time duty.  He also talks of Morin (will be waiver eligible) and Myers possibly earning spots too.

He also said that they might try to move into the top-10 - they have picks 14th and 19th.

Hextall insisted that they are going to stay the course and wants to continue to build gradually by integrating their young players.  With how he spoke of Frost or Sanheim it doesn't sound like they would be made available.

2 hours ago, Agoork said:

The Hockey Writers had an article speculating that Sutter could be a target for Philly, and that their later 1st round pick (#19) could get the deal done.

Add in Tanev and take back a cap dump to even out the cap a bit, and we could really increase our prospect pool. 

Sure, it would hurt our defensive abilities this coming season, but this is all about the future...

I think the 2 teams make pretty good trading partners considering each teams situation.  We have what they need, and they have what we need.

I don't know what a deal would look like, but with Philly having 2 1st round picks, Frost, Sanheim and a wealth of other prospects, all the pieces for a deal to be made are there.  Maybe only for Sutter, or maybe only for Tanev... or maybe even a lesser deal for someone like Granlund. 

Sutter retained. Plus Tanev and a 2nd plus maybe a prospect like lind for Prov and their 1st is A deak\l Philly wins. But it clears up some more cap space plus gets us a solid one-dimensional offem\nmsic\ve dman. Plus clears another 6 -8 mill to make a splash in free agency.. Philly" window is closing fast. They need to make a deal that might piss off a few fans. But in the long run, make them a better team. Prety sure for what Tanev brings most gm"s would take a chance on him. Keep in mind  a new team might utilize him better 

Is the Philly defense really that bad?  They were in the playoffs, I know, but as I recall, during the season they were mid-pack and their goaltending wasn't doing them any favours.

I'm really not interested in giving up our only true shutdown guy in return for another forward; a position we are already going to have a glut of in short order.

If anything, I'd like to get one of their more offensive defensemen in return.  Do a trade around Provorov or Gostisbehere.  Obviously we'd have to add.

18 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Is the Philly defense really that bad?  They were in the playoffs, I know, but as I recall, during the season they were mid-pack and their goaltending wasn't doing them any favours.

I'm really not interested in giving up our only true shutdown guy in return for another forward; a position we are already going to have a glut of in short order.

If anything, I'd like to get one of their more offensive defensemen in return.  Do a trade around Provorov or Gostisbehere.  Obviously we'd have to add.

From their website detailing their summer plans:  upgraded puck moving from the back end on defensive zone exit attempts would be highly desirable for the Flyers this offseason.  Provorov or Gostisbehere are not players they are going to move.

They want to keep their youth  - it's their non-core veterans that might be traded / they are trying to upgrade on.  

29 minutes ago, mll said:

From their website detailing their summer plans:  upgraded puck moving from the back end on defensive zone exit attempts would be highly desirable for the Flyers this offseason.  Provorov or Gostisbehere are not players they are going to move.

They want to keep their youth  - it's their non-core veterans that might be traded / they are trying to upgrade on.  

Yeah, makes sense.  

Provorov is a future Norris candidate. He's only going to get better. Ghost is not the same calibre in his own end and away from the puck as Prov. 

Prov-Tanev would be a legit big minutes top pairing. If there is a deal there, Sanheim is a great prospect, but I'd almost rather get someone like Morin back. We haven't had a player with that type of edge since Bieksa and we could use that. They're not going to move Konecny or Lindblom but a mix of pick + Weal or Laughton and maybe a decent prospect like Aube-Kubel, who seems like a guy who score at any level he plays at and has an edge to him, could give us what we need too.

4 hours ago, Agoork said:

Tanev and Sutter and a 2019 2nd for Konecny, 14 or 19, and McDonald

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Couturier play wing 

Couturier plays C - it's Giroux that plays wing.

23 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Couturier is their C1 - they are looking to find a C3 and veteran help on the PK.

From their website on their off-season plan: “[Hextall] also notes that the team's main focus entering the offseason is to look to upgrade down the middle. The third-line center spot is of particular focus.”

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Their d is an absolute mess. Their two best dmen (Ghost and Povorov) can't match-up against teams' top lines, or at least need a partner that can be much more reliable than what Philly has currently.  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Couturier plays C - it's Giroux that plays wing.

Couturier is their C1 - they are looking to find a C3 and veteran help on the PK.

From their website on their off-season plan: “[Hextall] also notes that the team's main focus entering the offseason is to look to upgrade down the middle. The third-line center spot is of particular focus.”

They both play C. G is one of the best in the league at faceoffs. 

9 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Tanev and Sutter and a 2019 2nd for Konecny, 14 or 19, and McDonald

It's their non-core vets that they are trying to upgrade on.  

They aren't trying to move their young players - Konecny, Sanheim, Lindblom, Hagg are all expected to get bigger roles next year. Hextall talks about how they want to continue to build from within and bring up youth.  They are actually opening spots for their young players by not bringing back their UFAs.  

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

They both play C. G is one of the best in the league at faceoffs. 

They shared face-offs re handedness but Giroux played wing this season - Couturier was the C on their line.

Archived