The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for answers on the 2018 draft (discussion/poll)

J.I.A.H.N

Questions for the draft  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How would you would feel if Benning manoeuvred the Canucks into multiple 1st's and 2nd's..................like the following teams did.......

Montreal.........3rd OA, 35th OA, 39th OA, 56th OA, and 59th OA

Ottawa...........4th OA and 22 OA

Detroit............6th OA, 29th OA, 33rd OA, and 37th OA

Chicago.........8th OA and 31st OA

Rangers.........9th OA, 26th OA, 29th OA, 40th OA and 48th OA

Islanders ......11th OA, 12 OA , 42nd OA and 43rd OA

Phili...............14th OA, 19 OA, 50th OA

Colorado.......16th OA, 47th OA, 62nd OA

Here are a few questions, I would love to hear your answers on 

1. Do you feel we have almost completed our rebuild ?

2. Do you feel we are in the middle of our rebuild ?

3. Do you believe the 2018 draft is a strong draft?

4. Do you believe the 2018 draft is deep with defensemen?

5. If 2 or more  draft prospects are thought of as relatively equal, do you want Benning to pick the Defenseman?

6. Would you trade Tanev for a mid 1st and 2nd picks or better ( MID 1st round = 11 OA to 20 OA )

Funny, I came to find out about the Canucks, but looking at the above teams......it makes me wonder

if Montreal would trade their 3rd round pick to the Islander for the 11th + 12th + 42nd?

Montreal would effectively moved their rebuild up by 2 or 3 years. I wonder if Montreal would do it?

I wonder if the NYI would do it? I think they do it and move back down again, if their player falls.......

Montreal has time to pick up a scoring winger later in their rebuild.

I could see the Canucks doing the same thing, if the Dmen start to fall............

Hmmmm?

I said yes to everything question lol.  I think if we hit this draft like last years. I believe we will be in the 10-15 pick range next year. With the off chance there is magic and we make the playoffs.  

I think we could draft wahlstrom and still get a good D man in round 2.  I'm open to whatever Jim and staff feel is best.  I think as we gain in the standings we can add more d prospects as we go.

Typically there are a lot of good Dmen taken in the 20-40 pick range.  Getting a 1st and second would be huge but I would be concerned we are leaving Juolevi a tad exposed.  But hey you gotta make moves to get better faster.

18 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I said yes to everything question lol.  I think if we hit this draft like last years. I believe we will be in the 10-15 pick range next year. With the off chance there is magic and we make the playoffs.  

I think we could draft wahlstrom and still get a good D man in round 2.  I'm open to whatever Jim and staff feel is best.  I think as we gain in the standings we can add more d prospects as we go.

Typically there are a lot of good Dmen taken in the 20-40 pick range.  Getting a 1st and second would be huge but I would be concerned we are leaving Juolevi a tad exposed.  But hey you gotta make moves to get better faster.

Hey Rush

I don't think trading Tanev leaves us exposed, because I feel, we would go out and find another veteran player to take Tanev's spot. Almost every contender has 2 things, a drafted high end defenseman, and one that has been either traded for or signed as a UFA...........this is very prevalent with the cup contenders, who collect players in all different ways, if the opportunity presents itself.

It is a fair concern! Though!

Best player available

We still have trouble scoring goals so where’s the problem drafting wahlstrom? 

If he’s better than bouchard, Dobson etc at the end of the day you take wahlstrom and focus on D elsewhere 

i think most fans including myself think tanev will be front and centre in trade rumours this off season. 

If the canucks can get a 10-20 first pick plus maybe something else (I’m talking to you edm with your 10th ovr pick) than we’re in real good shape for stock piling prospects 

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I like your optimism. Regardless of how well JB picks this draft (assuming we stay at 7) it is very unlikely that/those pick(s) have any impact on next season. Just look at Jake and Olli at nr. 6 & 5, and we`re still waiting. Thanks to the Cinderella finish this year we are missing out potentially on the top-end talent of the draft. We will still get a very good prospect but perhaps not ready for the jump. Losing the 105 points from the twins won`t be easy to replace either. I have no crystal ball regarding future moves/deals but as things stand presently I expect the Nucks to be bottom 2-3 next season, which could be a good thing with the hometown draft in 2019. Playoffs? Not a chance, but more good prospects in the pipeline. It`s what we need.

Prospects (legit shot at NHL) and new young core

F - Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, Gadjovich, Lockwood

D - Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton, Brisebois, Sautner, McEneny, Rathbone, Brassard

G - Demko, DiPietro

Needs: Top 6 C (Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, Hayton) and Top pairing D (Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, Boqvist) 

Yep, almost done

9 minutes ago, billabong said:

Best player available

We still have trouble scoring goals so where’s the problem drafting wahlstrom? 

If he’s better than bouchard, Dobson etc at the end of the day you take wahlstrom and focus on D elsewhere 

i think most fans including myself think tanev will be front and centre in trade rumours this off season. 

If the canucks can get a 10-20 first pick plus maybe something else (I’m talking to you edm with your 10th ovr pick) than we’re in real good shape for stock piling prospects 

There isn't really a clear cut BPA from 4(maybe even 3)-10 in this draft. Chances are, we're taking one of the D IMO, but I'll be happy with pretty much any guy ranked in that tier.

I like Tanev @50% to CHI for their 8th or Tanev to PHI (taking back MacDonald) for their 14th '+' as basic frameworks. EDM doesn't want Tanev. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

How would you would feel if Benning manoeuvred the Canucks into multiple 1st's and 2nd's..................

I don't see much to trade for picks at the moment to get us 1st's or 2nd's (without moving top prospects) other than Tanev. I think we'd be lucky to get a bottom end 1st for him with a B prospect.

I hate picks.

No more picks please.

I'm sure Benning will look to acquire additional picks - or take whatever opportunity - in whatever form - that presents itself to improve the franchise moving forward.

The rebuild has yet to begin.

Every draft is the deepest draft ever!

Tanev for low percentage draft picks is a horrible deal for this franchise.

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I hate picks.

No more picks please.

I'm sure Benning will look to acquire additional picks - or take whatever opportunity - in whatever form - that presents itself to improve the franchise moving forward.

The rebuild has yet to begin.

Every draft is the deepest draft ever!

Tanev for low percentage draft picks is a horrible deal for this franchise.

I think Old New that "If" Tanev could pull in a say, 15th OA + a 2nd......this would give us to very important additional pieces, that in term of percentages, gives us a much better chance of coming out of this draft with 2 , if not 3 or 4 very good Dman prospects......this is what we need now, and I say now only for the reason, they need to develop and Dman have a little longer gestation period. 

I also feel if would not be that hard to replace Tanev's veteran leadership with a UFA (and I am thinking of a better UFA than MDZ)

In addition, with the draft being in Vancouver next year, I would love Benning not to have Defense on his mind in any form......let's face it, forwards are much more fun to watch and play...........and most times, will only take a year or 2 to develop.........

I am also on the fence as to whether, we actually do rise much next year, as we are loosing the Sedin's and it may take a while for the prospects to adjust....but we will see!

I say, we do this and if you still want to go out and aggressively go after Tavares, Kane, and Carlson.............let's do it!.......but it is not an idea that gets much traction around here!

Stand your ground man! Stand your ground!

My answers:

we are still sorta in the middle of the rebuild. We have a good to very good start on rebuilding forward depth, and our goalie depth looks to be in excellent shape. Now for the D...pretty thin still.

Yep, looks like a deep draft. Some guys being mentioned as late first/high second would've been top 15 in many drafts

Yep, looks really good for defensemen, well into the second round

Yes, definitely go for D, if all things are equal

Yes, I'd trade Tanev for that...but I doubt any other teams would give that up

I said yes to the focus on D...but that rolls back into the question of all things being equal. Like...if Kotkaniemi is available with out 2nd round pick, Benning needs to run up to the microphone and get him drafted NOW! But, if everything is equal, yes, concentrate on D

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Prospects (legit shot at NHL) and new young core

F - Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, Gadjovich, Lockwood

D - Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton, Brisebois, Sautner, McEneny, Rathbone, Brassard

G - Demko, DiPietro

Needs: Top 6 C (Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, Hayton) and Top pairing D (Dobson, Hughes, Bouchard, Boqvist) 

Yep, almost done

You just listed almost every prospect we have haha that’s quite the efficient drafting benning has done then!

80% of those guys are not gonna be regular nhl’ers 

only dahlin projects as a top pair d in this draft. A top pair d is like a doughty, Keith, Karlsson, hedman, Burns etc. those guys are few and far between

Obviously they could get there but right now no one has then pencilled into that role 

if a franchise wants to develop their young guys and give them a fighting chance, then they need to keep their good veteran Dmen (i.e.,Elder, and Tanev). These players are necessary.  They also need to pick up at least one more very good dman who can play at both ends of the ice by contributing defensively and offensively (i.e., not a MDZ, who doesn't do either well).

The forward group can be young, fast and full of piss and vinegar, but they need a good defense to back them up. In fact, the Canucks should be looking for two strong, steady dmen that fit the above description.

They need to pick the BPA in the first round and if that is a forward, then they need to take him. They can't afford to pass on another MT, who was there for their taking, but they didn't take him...however, the next team did.

Rounds 2 to 7, JB can find the gem Dman.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Rebuild is just beginning.

I'm fine with JB's BPA. That said, our defence is awful, trading Tanev won't help and we desperately need some talented young Dmen in the system 

Bit of a catch 22 there isn't it. Our defense 'sucks' with Tanev and would likely be even worse short term if we move him.  

...Problem is, he's one of the few pieces we could move to acquire the picks/prospects required to drastically improve it long term.

My vote is to bite the bullet. Particularly if you can swing a deal to PHI for the 14thOA + while taking back MacDonald (as a warm body to somewhat fill Tanev's spot) or perhaps at 50% to a desperate and cap pinched CHI for their 8th OA (and sign a UFA).

27 minutes ago, billabong said:

only dahlin projects as a top pair d in this draft. A top pair d is like a doughty, Keith, Karlsson, hedman, Burns etc. those guys are few and far between

Those are actually elite #1D.

There's quite a few more 'top pair' D in the league and a good number of the D after Dahlin could very well reach that ceiling this draft. 

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bit of a catch 22 there isn't it. Our defense 'sucks' with Tanev and would likely be even worse short term if we move him.  

...Problem is, he's one of the few pieces we could move to acquire the picks/prospects required to drastically improve it long term.

My vote is to bite the bullet. Particularly if you can swing a deal to PHI for the 14thOA + while taking back MacDonald (as a warm body to somewhat fill Tanev's spot) or perhaps at 50% to a desperate and cap pinched CHI for their 8th OA (and sign a UFA).

It's quite the predicament eh. 

If we were to move Tanev, JB would be forced to find a UFA Dman that can settle things down. He's our only guy with patience, doesn't fold under pressure. Edler did play better last year but he still spends a lot of time doing the front crawl when pressured

Archived