The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for answers on the 2018 draft (discussion/poll)

J.I.A.H.N

Questions for the draft  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

We need a poll asking if the Canucks should pick a forward or Dman with #7. 

Or maybe it’s already posted. 

It depends entirely on who is taken 1 through 6.

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

It depends entirely on who is taken 1 through 6.

Assuming the big four are gone by the time the Canucks pick, it leaves Dmen and some interesting forwards.

BPA? Benning went off-roading to get EP, maybe his scouts have something special lined up, again. 

On 07/05/2018 at 5:01 PM, groovy said:

I get your sentiments about losing and agree that it can be very harmful over time. What is more important is how you are losing. Are you on the cusp of a breakthrough or just going through the motions? This league is so tight that even losing teams can be trending in the right direction. Tampa didn`t even make playoffs last year. I don`t believe adding any single player to the team will change the overall outcome right now, but hopefully in 2-3 years it could. Bo is a pro (with an agent) who plays primarily for one thing... money. He is being given a fantastic opportunity with the Canucks to improve his game and his career. He could be getting 3rd line minutes on a contender. He can see where the team is headed and is likely thrilled to be where he is in his career at the moment, with some talent on the way to help improve the team.  

I don't think we play like a losing team. 

We just lack the quality replacements to keep our momentum through injuries to our top players. Hopefully this will change next season if not the one after.

Look at the Caps. They lost players through injury and call up a guy who had only played 8 NHL games - Travis Boyd, a 6th round pick - and he played like a guy possessed and didn't look out of place in the playoffs. That guy has been honing his game in the AHL for 3 years and is getting his chance at 24 years old.

That is why I don't agree with many on here when they say our rebuild is almost complete. We need to have a farm/AHL team of promising seasoned prospects before we can say we are near to completing the rebuild.

I am amazed at how few of us realised just how bad a situation we were in when Benning took over. I think we were probably in the worst state of any of the other league clubs. His first 2-3 years have been spent imo just catching up to where many of the lower league teams were. Now we are begining to move forward.

2015-16 6.png Hershey Bears  AHL  76 21 32 53 24 6 |  Playoffs  21 2 7 9 4 3
2016-17 6.png Hershey Bears  AHL  76 16 47 63 16 19 |  Playoffs  12 1 7 8 2 -5
2017-18 6.png Washington Capitals  NHL  8 0 1 1 2 2 |  Playoffs  1 0 0 0 0 0
  6.png Hershey Bears  AHL  61 15 32 47 12 -24 |               
2017-18 NHL stats powered by NHL.com

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Assuming the big four are gone by the time the Canucks pick, it leaves Dmen and some interesting forwards.

BPA? Benning went off-roading to get EP, maybe his scouts have something special lined up, again.

I suspect they don't rank their picks according to central scouting or Bobby Mac etc. What we see as off-roading is how they had EP, and Joulevi for that matter, ranked through their own scouting. It was after that first draft that JB sat down with the scouting department and told them what he wanted them looking for. I'd love to know that criteria. lol

Ultimately every team has their own list. It's why there's some surprises every draft.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

I suspect they don't rank their picks according to central scouting or Bobby Mac etc. What we see as off-roading is how they had EP, and Joulevi for that matter, ranked through their own scouting. It was after that first draft that JB sat down with the scouting department and told them what he wanted them looking for. I'd love to know that criteria. lol

Ultimately every team has their own list. It's why there's some surprises every draft.

Under Jay Feaster, Calgary really discarded consensus with their brow-raising picks, chosing long-term types. It’s only barely started to pay off. Sometimes they win. Sometimes they lose. 

It takes guts to pick off the board, and ultimately, luck to land a stud like EP.

The criteria used to score these prospects and how they use the interview process is also of interest to me, particularly the comparative assessment of players from differing leagues and ice surfaces. Is it a metric or all subjective?

For example, are Bouchard, Boqvist and Hughs likely to have similar results if they were swapped for each other and were forced to play in different leagues? 

I watch Boqvist’s mobility, vision and puck skills on the big ice and wonder if he’d have the same confidence with his style in Hughs’s rink and vice versa. Would Bouchard eclipse a PPG while in place of Boqvist overseas? Would Hughs dominate on a bigger ice surface or does tight quarters work in his advantage? 

As casual fans, we likely lack anything resembling a clue towards answering these questions. We make our guesses and hope for the best.

I trust the Canucks will get the BPA at #7, but like you’ve already eluded to, we don’t know their criteria for selecting these kids. Do they take the NHL-ready puberty freak or another EP; an unripened prospect? Personally, I can’t work out what core-type need they are looking to add first. Speed, determination/character and then what? Offense? Defence? Skill?

At #7 there will be a fantastic combination of those traits available for both forward and D options. Odds are that the selection becomes part of the new core, regardless, and that’s exciting and rewarding for patient fans; fans who enjoy the building process as much as the winning part, like myself. 

Unlike with EP at #5, with the Boeser pick, it was Luck again that BB fell into their laps at 23. I’m still surprised at how that played out, considering ‘Canucks Luck’, and all. The Canucks are definitely due for a run of good luck. Here’s hoping. 

32 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Under Jay Feaster, Calgary really discarded consensus with their brow-raising picks, chosing long-term types. It’s only barely started to pay off. Sometimes they win. Sometimes they lose. 

It takes guts to pick off the board, and ultimately, luck to land a stud like EP.

The criteria used to score these prospects and how they use the interview process is also of interest to me, particularly the comparative assessment of players from differing leagues and ice surfaces. Is it a metric or all subjective?

For example, are Bouchard, Boqvist and Hughs likely to have similar results if they were swapped for each other and were forced to play in different leagues? 

I watch Boqvist’s mobility, vision and puck skills on the big ice and wonder if he’d have the same confidence with his style in Hughs’s rink and vice versa. Would Bouchard eclipse a PPG while in place of Boqvist overseas? Would Hughs dominate on a bigger ice surface or does tight quarters work in his advantage? 

As casual fans, we likely lack anything resembling a clue towards answering these questions. We make our guesses and hope for the best.

I trust the Canucks will get the BPA at #7, but like you’ve already eluded to, we don’t know their criteria for selecting these kids. Do they take the NHL-ready puberty freak or another EP; an unripened prospect? Personally, I can’t work out what core-type need they are looking to add first. Speed, determination/character and then what? Offense? Defence? Skill?

At #7 there will be a fantastic combination of those traits available for both forward and D options. Odds are that the selection becomes part of the new core, regardless, and that’s exciting and rewarding for patient fans; fans who enjoy the building process as much as the winning part, like myself. 

Unlike with EP at #5, with the Boeser pick, it was Luck again that BB fell into their laps at 23. I’m still surprised at how that played out, considering ‘Canucks Luck’, and all. The Canucks are definitely due for a run of good luck. Here’s hoping. 

I can feel your pain.

11 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I feel like only Kotkaniemi of the remaining forwards has the most potential to be a big surprise, so for me it's him or a dman. Wahlstrom is interesting and could be exciting, but he seems like he's a one dimensional winger and not worth addressing our biggest need at the moment which is quality dmen.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

It's based on projections. Anyone can be a top 6 guy. But some aren't projected to be right now. It's not that hard to understand.

On this team 15 players have been top six, anyone put on the top two lines is called a top six player, so far I believe there are 3, Sutter, Boser and Horvat with Virtanen, if they don't keep benching him, as a possible fast scoring threat, the rest are mainly roster players, gap fillers. 

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, IBatch said:

Which leaves overpaying for blue chip UFA defenseman, which sucks because they won't be the right age and could create cap issues for us later.  

Lots of words too! Ha ha.  I like your thoughts on this, it does illustrate that our forward group is strong, but our defense is seriously lacking.

The UFA blue chip dman is 3 years off yet.

Odd thing about the Canuck defence prospects, OJ didn't get a sniff for the worlds and he is still paraded by some as the key guy, as the years go by those that believe are dwindling though, the guy most posters still like is hardly mentioned, Tryamkin made the Russian team. 

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I feel like only Kotkaniemi of the remaining forwards has the most potential to be a big surprise, so for me it's him or a dman. Wahlstrom is interesting and could be exciting, but he seems like he's a one dimensional winger and not worth addressing our biggest need at the moment which is quality dmen.

Pretty sure Wahlstrom and Hughes are committed to college for the next few years, be good to draft them if the team wants to get bottom 5 picks for the next two years though.

Whoever the Nucks draft will not help enough, 150 points and the possession numbers of the Sedins are a lot to replace.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Pretty sure Wahlstrom and Hughes are committed to college for the next few years, be good to draft them if the team wants to get bottom 5 picks for the next two years though.

Whoever the Nucks draft will not help enough, 150 points and the possession numbers of the Sedins are a lot to replace.

I should be clear, I meant quality defensive prospects. I don't expect any of the dmen drafted after Dahlin to make the roster. Of course one could come to camp and make a great impression, but I'm not expecting any player drafted at #7 to come in and turn this team around in the next couple of years anyway.

52 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Your right, those are some big shoes to fill that Pettersson will hopefully partly fill. Not sure what you mean by 150 points though, it's been a while since the Sedins were PPG players on a consistent basis.    

Signing Green wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd be happy if we didn't bother, that would improve our defense which will help the team get another good pick the next two years.  

I agree that Benning should stay out of the blue chip UFA market for a few years, that said I'd Tavares or either KCarlssson is available that would be ok too.  

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Honestly I'd love to know how the scouts from various leagues hammer them all out into a single list. Seems obvious to me the Euro scouts aren't looking closely at college and junior players. Just as the junior scouts aren't looking closely at college and euro prospects. I'd love to see that process from the team after the fact and how involved Benning is in that process. That would be a video worth watching.

Archived