The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Elliot Friedman - Dougie Hamilton & Sam Bennett possible trade chips for 1st round pick

Calgary seems to strongly desire a return to the 1st round.  Elliot Friedman suspects Dougie Hamilton may be the key piece they would move out to re-acquire a first-round pick.  There is also the thought that Sam widely beloved 18 year Sam Bennett may also be a trade option if a team came to them with a solid offer.  The questions then is.. do they want simply a high pick for Hamilton or are they wanting an asset with a mid-to-late 1st?  Would Calgary have any interest in Vancouver's 7th overall? and would it be worthwhile taking the proven asset with the 7th pick instead of the much younger draft eligible defensemen?  Dougie Hamilton is currently 24 years of age and just had a 17 goal / 44 point season.  

Where do you see him as a fit and would you risk a trade like this?  Imagine Tkachuk falls to 7 after we trade for Dougie Hamilton then Calgary drafts Brady Tkachuk to Center Calgary's 2nd line. A scary concept I know.  The odds are though one if not two of the top D men taken in the draft might amount to nothing more then average defenders. Do you risk selecting a guy in the top 7 hoping he has a higher ceiling then Hamilton?  That is a real question for you to ask yourself.

Just thought I'd have fun and post this scenario. :)  By passing on the pick we would lose the 3 years of ELC we would have with the player we pick at 7.  

Source: https://frshockey.com/nhl/flames/friedman-considers-hamilton-and-bennett-trade-potential/

I wouldn't do it. Hamilton may have had a good statistical year, but from what i've heard, he didn't seem to fit in well, and play well with the Flames. Didn't seem to do what a defenseman should do first and foremost, defend. 

I'd prefer to keep the 7th overall pick. We're going to get a good player, and there's no need to rush the rebuild. Hamilton is a good player, but we could possibly be getting someone even better at 7. This is a deep draft year, I say, keep the pick and trust in Benning and Brackett on their judgment for talent. They've done a great job at accumulating talent thus far for the organization, no need to change direction now. Calgary can keep Hamilton. 

28 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Hamilton is points machine who can't play any d

We don’t have any puck moving defensemen, so I’d inquire about him at least. I wouldn’t ship the 7th overall though. 

13 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Keep 7, and get the Hughes Bros. ::D

Is Jack going to slip outside the top 3 next year? Because otherwise the Canucks won’t get him. History.

18 minutes ago, Monty said:

Is Jack going to slip outside the top 3 next year? Because otherwise the Canucks won’t get him. History.

No, but if the Canucks can be closer to a bubble team next season, then they’ll jump into a lottery position instead of dropping the usual 2-3 draft positions :P

See who the first 5-6 players taken are and then let desperate teams like Calgary do some quick bidding against each other and overpay for the pick.  If they offer better than what's available, great, trade the pick.  If not, they can go pound sand while JB goes to the podium and makes his selection.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't want to see the Tkachuk brothers in CGY for the next 15 years. Also don't know what player we're getting with the #7. Will be some very good ones available.  

You won't.   MT will "Sean Avery" himself out of the league long before 15 years are up.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived