The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bure / Churla from 1994

Babarnikov2

11 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I think this one was worse.

Mr Elbows got his nickname honestly, before he was Mr. Hockey he was Mr. Elbows, and if sure gave him room...there is some great footage of him creaming guys unconscious after a cheap shot, or for no apparent reason.   Google Howes Elbows Vidoes and the footage is grainy but clear enough to understand why he got the nickname.  In the WHA games he would cream guys with his stick and take the penalty, at the beginning right after the opening face off against each new team.  Everyone wanted to fight him, and he would just whack them one after the other until they stayed away.  Slap Stick stuff.

Game has certainly changed.

9 hours ago, xereau said:

Guentzel kept his hands down, his shoulder did NOT rise, and he never make any kind of upward motion with his body.

No intent to injure.  Two guys came together going for the puck behind the net.

0 games.

Agreed just a hard hit from my prospective.

12 hours ago, Baggins said:

This is a crap video and I'd like to see other angles but I don't see anything illegal in it as it appears he gets him in the chest. Which is delivering a full body check, making head contact incidental. Also there's a significant change in Carlsons body position just prior to contact as he plays the puck which can nullify a suspension.

Worse than Wilson's, imo.  But, I wouldn't give either one a suspension, not even remotely

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Guentzel hit....that was nothing.

Bure hit....5 games minimum. That's why Bure was the best Canuck ever. He could score but he also didn't put up with crap. I remember watching it live.

To be fair, if I had Gino watching my back, I'd have a huge Napoleon Complex.

On 2018. 5. 5. at 7:26 PM, TheHitman said:

There was definitely intention, Guentzel didn't even look towards the puck on the play. 

You don't make a hit while looking at the puck. 

That would just be colliding.

You are taught to follow the body and not look at the puck since Bantam hockey. 

Considering that the DPS looks at the infraction as well as the action previous to the infraction, I would say 2 games.

These guys were going after Bure who himself was the recipient of several elbows that shift, this would factor into the decision.

On 06/05/2018 at 6:51 AM, IBatch said:

And for those of us who watched the series, the reaction in our TV room was five of us stood up and cheered...

Hockey was different back then, Dallas was built for the dead puck era with Ludwig and Hatcher holding onto and interfering with anyone they could catch....Churla and co were all over Bure until he did this, message received and after Calgary we became a steamroller right to the final.

Churla was a good at his job and Bure might of ended up injured instead if this didn't happen, the way they were targeting Bure it was obvious they wanted him out of the series either by intimidating him or injuring him, which wasn't uncommon back then.  The 97,98 Detroit teams would pick a star on the other team and deliberately wail away until they either gave up or knocked them out of the series, and it was exactly what Dallas was trying to do to Bure, he was a special player for not backing down and dishing it right back, and stepping up to one of the better enforcers of the nineties.

agree completely.  It was sweet watching a guy who was targetted stand up for himself.  One of the dirtiest non-messier hits I had ever seen, but might have blazed the path to the finals for Van.  Bure got an awful lot of room after that play

On 2018-05-06 at 1:24 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, if I had Gino watching my back, I'd have a huge Napoleon Complex.

Gino didn't play in the 94 playoffs that much at all, that said in his place Antoski was iced because he was a better skater...

But nobody was doing anything about (yet), which makes this all the more memorable, Bure destroyed Churla, and got his space.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Gino didn't play in the 94 playoffs that much at all, that said in his place Antoski was iced because he was a better skater...

But nobody was doing anything about (yet), which makes this all the more memorable, Bure destroyed Churla, and got his space.

I remember when somebody took a cheapshot at Bure (I think it was after he was dealt to the Panthers and I think Gino was on the Habs)....somebody interviewed Gino and I pretty sure he said something to the effect it doesn't matter they're on different teams now (him & Bure)...if you take liberties with my friend, sooner or later you'll have to play against me and ......

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Watched that game and it still churns my stomach...just a filthy thing to do after the series is over.

I haven't forgotten the lumberjack chop to Gradin's head that that puke #11 gave (I refuse to mention that Turd's name).  Another puke, Sather remarked "but it was only a one hander....".

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, coastal.view said:

i think in the current environment of player safety

and need to sanction hits that risk head injury

bure would get at least a 20 game suspension

i cannot really think of a head shot effort that was more deliberate or devasting

Agree, ruined/ended Chara's career, even back then I thought it was too vicious and was surprised he wasn't suspended, it was in retaliation for a mugging Chara got away with that injured Bure. Still it was vicious.

About that series, Babych once said that once the Cancuks started hitting the Stars evaporated, they couldn't get rid of the puck fast enough and the series became easy. The Nucks were one of the biggest teams in the league if not the biggest.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:40 PM, Babarnikov2 said:

I'm not sure where to post this question, so hopefully this is the correct spot.

I was rewatching the vicious hit that Bure put on Churla during the 1994 playoff series between the Canucks and Stars (if you've never seen it, check it out on Youtube - it's utterly amazing).  I was trying to think that if that were to happen during the 2018 playoffs (say, instead of Bure, it was Scheifele or Crosby or Kucherov), what would the penalty be.  I'm guessing it would be orders or magnitude greater than the 0 game / $500 fine that Burke imposed on Pavel.

Product of it's time. Probably at least 8 games in today's NHL.

Archived