The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bure / Churla from 1994

Babarnikov2

I'm not sure where to post this question, so hopefully this is the correct spot.

I was rewatching the vicious hit that Bure put on Churla during the 1994 playoff series between the Canucks and Stars (if you've never seen it, check it out on Youtube - it's utterly amazing).  I was trying to think that if that were to happen during the 2018 playoffs (say, instead of Bure, it was Scheifele or Crosby or Kucherov), what would the penalty be.  I'm guessing it would be orders or magnitude greater than the 0 game / $500 fine that Burke imposed on Pavel.

#1) That hit was pre-meditated. Churla had been harassing Bure all game/series long. Bure had had enough and took matters into his own hands.

#2) Bure lined him up from a distance with speed and left his feet, launching his elbow upwards into Churla's head.

#3) The puck was 15 feet away in the corner. Churla was watching the play and Pavel blindsided him.

#4) The hit resulted in serious injury to Churla.

It would be a minimum 10 games.

It was a deliberate attempt to injure and I am a little ashamed to say it was delicious.

For those who don't remember, Here it is ............

9 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

I guess we'll find out considering Guentzel just headshotted Carlson.

Contact to the head isn't automatically illegal. It depends entirely on how the contact was made. I missed it and would have to see it to make that call.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Contact to the head isn't automatically illegal. It depends entirely on how the contact was made. I missed it and would have to see it to make that call.

There was definitely intention, Guentzel didn't even look towards the puck on the play. 

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

#1) That hit was pre-meditated. Churla had been harassing Bure all game/series long. Bure had had enough and took matters into his own hands.

#2) Bure lined him up from a distance with speed and left his feet, launching his elbow upwards into Churla's head.

#3) The puck was 15 feet away in the corner. Churla was watching the play and Pavel blindsided him.

#4) The hit resulted in serious injury to Churla.

It would be a minimum 10 games.

It was a deliberate attempt to injure and I am a little ashamed to say it was delicious.

For those who don't remember, Here it is ............

Dont ashamed......

20 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Took me a while but here's the clip:
https://imgur.com/PARnfM3

Pretty cut and dry three-game suspension should be given here. Guentzel not looking to make a play on the puck, shoulder to the head of an unsuspecting Carlson, and Carlson left the game.  

Just a black screen for me. No play button, nothing,

You don't have to make a play on the puck to deliver a legal hit. Nor a does a suspension occur simply because a player doesn't see the hit coming.  The reasons you're giving aren't cause for a suspension. Contact to the head is incidental when delivering a full legal body check. It's illegal to target the head when not hitting into the body. That's as simple as I can make the criteria. So again, I'll have to see the hit to determine it's legality.

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

Took me a while but here's the clip:
https://imgur.com/PARnfM3

Pretty cut and dry three-game suspension should be given here. Guentzel not looking to make a play on the puck, shoulder to the head of an unsuspecting Carlson, and Carlson left the game.  

This is a crap video and I'd like to see other angles but I don't see anything illegal in it as it appears he gets him in the chest. Which is delivering a full body check, making head contact incidental. Also there's a significant change in Carlsons body position just prior to contact as he plays the puck which can nullify a suspension.

Nasty hit, but well deserved. In today's game, Bure would have never needed to do that because Churla would have been given tons of penalty minutes already for his interference / charging / hooking / roughing / high sticking on Bure in the instances that led up to it.  Well, then again, Stars Vs. Canucks in the playoffs.. maybe I'm just dreaming that the refs would be making the right calls for us.

4 hours ago, TheHitman said:

There was definitely intention, Guentzel didn't even look towards the puck on the play. 

Guentzel kept his hands down, his shoulder did NOT rise, and he never make any kind of upward motion with his body.

No intent to injure.  Two guys came together going for the puck behind the net.

0 games.

10+ easy. Mother of all elbows was nasty. Bure was a straight savage on that play. Lol. No where near the puck, intent to injure, accelerates into the head with the elbow. Gives me a headache just looking at it. Too bad Burr didn't lay the Dragonslayer elbow on Marchand in 2011 though. He might not be licking people today.

In today's era, had that similar incident happened, he would have longer suspension.   Nowhere close to the puck and premediated hit to the head.   Back then, concussion were largely unknown and people cheered on this play due to their ignorant.   This was a bad hockey play even years after the fact.  Churla wouldn't be able to play fast-paced hockey and would not be able to do what he did to others and get away with it.  Two different era and two different thinking so therefore, we cannot be sure that Bure would have done that in today's game.  

I remember this elbow had Hawks fans cheering in Chicago!

In today's game, probably a minimum of 10 games.  Bure brilliantly finds a way to include every possible bit of dirtiness when delivering a hit....charging, leaving the feet, elbows up, blindsided AND interference, etc....i mean just 18 different varieties of delicious. 

God, I hated Churla.

And for those of us who watched the series, the reaction in our TV room was five of us stood up and cheered...

Hockey was different back then, Dallas was built for the dead puck era with Ludwig and Hatcher holding onto and interfering with anyone they could catch....Churla and co were all over Bure until he did this, message received and after Calgary we became a steamroller right to the final.

Churla was a good at his job and Bure might of ended up injured instead if this didn't happen, the way they were targeting Bure it was obvious they wanted him out of the series either by intimidating him or injuring him, which wasn't uncommon back then.  The 97,98 Detroit teams would pick a star on the other team and deliberately wail away until they either gave up or knocked them out of the series, and it was exactly what Dallas was trying to do to Bure, he was a special player for not backing down and dishing it right back, and stepping up to one of the better enforcers of the nineties.

Archived