The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bure / Churla from 1994

Babarnikov2

On 2018-05-05 at 9:33 PM, Slegr said:

Nasty hit, but well deserved. In today's game, Bure would have never needed to do that because Churla would have been given tons of penalty minutes already for his interference / charging / hooking / roughing / high sticking on Bure in the instances that led up to it.  Well, then again, Stars Vs. Canucks in the playoffs.. maybe I'm just dreaming that the refs would be making the right calls for us.

Your right about that I remember watching this series and gwtting frustrated watching all the crap the ref was letting go on Bure. He had enough and took it into his own hands to punish Churla  

45 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Your right about that I remember watching this series and gwtting frustrated watching all the crap the ref was letting go on Bure. He had enough and took it into his own hands to punish Churla  

Yep, back in those days what you could get away in the regular season is like what you get away with in the playoffs now.  And the playoffs, well we all know what crap the Dallas was getting away with, not to mention Messiers brutal cross check from behind to Momesso etc in the final....

On 5/10/2018 at 1:56 PM, IBatch said:

Yep, back in those days what you could get away in the regular season is like what you get away with in the playoffs now.  And the playoffs, well we all know what crap the Dallas was getting away with, not to mention Messiers brutal cross check from behind to Momesso etc in the final....

I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't kind of "look the other way" and pretended not to care about this other dirty Messier hit:

• 3 weeks later...

It never would have happened in today's game. Churla was all over Bure before and and there would have been a dozen penalties by the stars so it simply would never have escalated to that point . 

On 5/5/2018 at 3:40 PM, Babarnikov2 said:

I'm not sure where to post this question, so hopefully this is the correct spot.

I was rewatching the vicious hit that Bure put on Churla during the 1994 playoff series between the Canucks and Stars (if you've never seen it, check it out on Youtube - it's utterly amazing).  I was trying to think that if that were to happen during the 2018 playoffs (say, instead of Bure, it was Scheifele or Crosby or Kucherov), what would the penalty be.  I'm guessing it would be orders or magnitude greater than the 0 game / $500 fine that Burke imposed on Pavel.

If it was Crosby, perhaps 5 minute major, a 10 for unsportsman and a game, with further game suspensions.

Just so we're clear, that penalty time would be given to the other guy who got hit, not to Crosby.

regards,  G.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎31 at 7:48 PM, Squamfan said:

Man I forgot about that play. Can you see a superstar play with that much spunk today? He truly had "ALL" of the tools necessary to be called a "Superstar". People who compare him to other Canuck Stars really needed to see him play to truly appreciate him.

• 4 weeks later...

For an elite superstar, Bure had an amazing physical dimension to his game we won't see again. What I loved about him from this context, he'd make you pay! 

Loved seeing him lay Marchment out. Marchment was intentionally dirty and brutal. Those type of players needed to be purged from the game. 

Archived