The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

March 8, 1979

Babarnikov2

On March 8, 1979, the Vancouver Canucks, in the first year wearing the beloved "V" jerseys, visited Montreal, where they were utterly destroyed 11-1.  The boxscore can be found here:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/van-vs-mtl/1979/03/08/1978020549#game=1978020549,game_state=final

The video of the highlights of the game can be found here:

So, my question is - if one were somehow able to transport this Canucks team through time, and made them play the current version of the Winnipeg Jets or Tampa Bay Lightning, what would the final score be?

On 5/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, Babarnikov2 said:

On March 8, 1979, the Vancouver Canucks, in the first year wearing the controversial "V" jerseys, visited Montreal

On 5/5/2018 at 7:39 PM, Baggins said:

Fixed that for you. :lol:

Fixed that for both of you. :towel:

On 5/5/2018 at 5:11 PM, Babarnikov2 said:

I loved Snepsts' move on the third goal.  Zdeno Chara he was not.  Snepsts was a -5 in this game.

Snepsts was not Zdena Chara but he was no Andrew Alberts either. He was a rock solid stay-at-home defenseman who was pretty good at moving the puck and getting it on net for rebounds. Played in two All-Star games. That was a horrible Canucks team that season, with no thanks to Phil Maloney's lethargic mismanagement in the mid 70's. If Snepsts had not played in that Montreal Massacre game, the score would've been 15 or 16-1.

Today’s Jets or Bolts wouldn’t survive against that old team. Take away all the extra padding on today’s players, give them wooden sticks and basic skates and they’d get outworked and outspanked by our 70s team.

Good grief....you guys seriously watched an entire season of that???

I thought I was watching an instructional video on "How to leave the front of the net wide open!" or "How to not to clear the zone 4 feet from the blue line"

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:21 AM, skolozsy2 said:

Good grief....you guys seriously watched an entire season of that???

I thought I was watching an instructional video on "How to leave the front of the net wide open!" or "How to not to clear the zone 4 feet from the blue line"

A little insight to supporting the team for over 40 years.

In fairness that was at the end of the season and the team was just going through the motions, if it had meant anything there would have been a dust up or two.

Too bad about Mondou he looked like he would have been great and the Canadiens would have won a couple more cups.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, Babarnikov2 said:

On March 8, 1979, the Vancouver Canucks, in the first year wearing the beloved "V" jerseys, visited Montreal, where they were utterly destroyed 11-1.  The boxscore can be found here:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/van-vs-mtl/1979/03/08/1978020549#game=1978020549,game_state=final

The video of the highlights of the game can be found here:

So, my question is - if one were somehow able to transport this Canucks team through time, and made them play the current version of the Winnipeg Jets or Tampa Bay Lightning, what would the final score be?

Those Canucks' uniforms are disgusting.  :sick:

As for the game.  If it was refereed like back in '79, the Canucks would friggin' pound the crap out of the Lightening.  The Jets would beat the Canucks, no matter what.  They have Big Buff.

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

A little insight to supporting the team for over 40 years.

In fairness that was at the end of the season and the team was just going through the motions, if it had meant anything there would have been a dust up or two.

Too bad about Mondou he looked like he would have been great and the Canadiens would have won a couple more cups.

Yeah, I know how those end of the year games can go when the team just wants season over.  Brings back memories of when the Hawks' #1 line was Tyler Arnason, Kyle Calder, and Mark Bell (Yikes!)  Think we missed 8th place by only a mere 30 points.

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those 70s Habs probably beat everyone 11-1 lol

That (1970s Habs) were perhaps the greatest teams in NHL history.

I think the 78/79 team only lost 10 games all year, playoffs included, that one or right around there. Lost like 18 games in two years

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those 70s Habs probably beat everyone 11-1 lol

That (1970s Habs) were perhaps the greatest teams in NHL history.

For the 75-76, 76-77 and 77-78 teams, their AVERAGE season works out to a record of 59W - 9.67L - 11.3T; GF 361, GA 176. That 78-79 team was actually the worst of their 4 in a row team. That we lost 11-1 to one of those teams, as bad as we were in the '70s, really isn't a surprise.

Archived