The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Missed Opportunity: The Third Sedin

zombieksa

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

2007 draft, round 2, Vancouver drafts Wayne Simmonds instead of Taylor Ellington. 

/thread

Seriously Simmonds with the Sedins would've of been comical in the fact that the opposition would never touch the puck. 

I think with the Sedins 2 types of players were needed. First the type of player that was needed was a big strong power forward who had hands, who could go to the net take away one of the top defenders and let the Sedins do their cycle thing along the boards, this was ideal when the Sedins were in their prime, Anson Carter did fit this role perfectly but unfortunately got greedy and wanted to much money, but the Canucks really never found a replacement player after that for them. The other guy I thought would of been perfect was Bertuzzi but he was already with the Naslund and Morrison and then the Moore incident and that kind of ended his time here sadly.

The second type of player that was needed for the Sedins as they got older and lost a step was a a player who had speed and size and could get that puck for the Sedins and go to the net and take a beating as well. Burrows did a great job of this and I praise him a lot, but I don't think he was the perfect one but he did a much better job then I had originally thought he would, I just feel a little bigger of a player was still needed to be the best fit for the Sedins. 

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

There is no such thing as the Third Sedin.  The Sedins passed to themselves far more than they passed to anyone else on the ice with them.  Kind of like Kobe Bryant, who shot every basketball he ever touched, the Sedins only pass to each other.  That's why no 3rd-member of their line ever held on for the long-haul.  They are great people off the ice, but on the ice, they are amongst the most selfish players in history.  To be the Third Sedin, you'd need the Sedins to pass to you as much as they pass to each other.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen.

196157.gif

If you think the Sedins were selfless on-the-ice and passed to their linemates as much as they passed to each other, well you are either lying or blind...

How many hundreds of times did we see a Sedin pass up a wide-open linemate in order to (attempt to) thread a pass to his brother through a defender?

38 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If you think the Sedins were selfless on-the-ice and passed to their linemates as much as they passed to each other, well you are either lying or blind...

How many hundreds of times did we see a Sedin pass up a wide-open linemate in order to (attempt to) thread a pass to his brother through a defender?

At least once a powerplay. Great dudes but I agree man, lots of wtf are you kidding! Pass Kesler the puck!... But prob even more wtf's when they somehow hemmed in the opposition for 2 mins straight on a pp and scoring or at least having oodles of chances! 

1). Jerome Iginla

2). Alexander Ovechkin (this one is not possible at all but I always wonder what Ovie could be with the Sedins)

3). Peter Forsberg

4). Steven Stamkos (same as Ovie)

5). Cory Perry (we could have drafted him instead of Kesler, but I would still rather have Henrik and Kesler as my 1,2 punch than having a monstrous first line with Perry on it)

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Alex Burrows.

But really, the twins worked best with players who were willing to grind it out and battle in the boards and in the corners. Any guy like that would've been fine.

Burrows obviously worked out really well, but imagine if they had a sniper on their flank? Imagine Boeser with the 2011 Sedins. I bet he'd score 40 easy.

The Sedins never really had a sniper for an extended period of time as a linemate. But I bet if they had one for 2-3 seasons, he'd score 30-40 each season. Maybe 50.

8 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

1). Jerome Iginla

2). Alexander Ovechkin (this one is not possible at all but I always wonder what Ovie could be with the Sedins)

3). Peter Forsberg

4). Steven Stamkos (same as Ovie)

5). Cory Perry (we could have drafted him instead of Kesler, but I would still rather have Henrik and Kesler as my 1,2 punch than having a monstrous first line with Perry on it)

If this happens then Ovi scores like 70 or something  ::D

when Henrik Sedin won the ARt Ross in 2010 Mikauel Samuellson and Burrows were their rotating line mates, mostly Samuelson

when Daniel won the art ross in 2011, it was the other way around, were Burrows was their main linemate with Samuelson playing on their line sometimes.

it was the offensive dman that we were missing all these years, that prevented the Sedins from more offensive time.

9 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

2003 draft, round 2, Vancouver drafts David Backes instead of Marc-Andre Bernier.

2007 draft, round 2, Vancouver drafts Wayne Simmonds instead of Taylor Ellington. 

Man, looking through those drafts from 2001-2007 there were only like 4 good picks.

I could be wrong. Recall a thread / story / idea that the Simmonds pick was one we traded away?

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Iginla

Simmonds

Carter

Perry

Laine

There was of course a heavily rumoured Carter deal from Columbus for Carter edit Schroeder.

Archived