The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 Young Stars Classic

cut.jpg

Vancouver, BC - The Vancouver Canucks and City of Penticton announced today that the 2018 Young Stars Classic will return to the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton, BC from Friday, September 7th to Sunday, September 9th.

"The Young Stars Classic is a fantastic tournament and the City of Penticton does a tremendous job as host," said Trevor Linden, Canucks President of Hockey Operations. "While the format and participating teams has changed, fans can still expect a lot of excitement and a high level of competition from both top prospects and elite university programs." 

The Young Stars Classic features two games between the top prospects from the Winnipeg Jets and Vancouver Canucks as well as a two-game series between the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds and CIS Champion University of Alberta Golden Bears.  

Canucks prospects expected to participate in the tournament include Adam Gaudette, Jonathan Dahlen, Olli Juolevi, Kole Lind, Lukas Jasek, Jonah Gadjovich, Zack MacEwen, Jalen Chatfield, Guillaume Brisebois and Michael DiPietro.

Full tournament rosters and ticket information will be posted on canucks.com/youngstars and SOEC.ca at a later date.

Young Stars Classic Schedule

GAME               TEAMS                                      DATE                TIME     
Game 1             UBC vs University of Alberta       Sept. 7              4:00pm
Game 2             Vancouver vs. Winnipeg              Sept. 7              7:30pm 
Game 3             UBC vs University of Alberta       Sept. 8              6:00pm
Game 4             Vancouver vs. Winnipeg              Sept. 9              2:00pm

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/2018-young-stars-classic/c-298251644

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

seems so. It will be interesting to see the depth of Winnipeg's prospect pool. 

Sure, but only having two NHL prospect teams just isn't the same.  Even having one more team for a mini round-robin would be better.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's also not signed yet. 

Ahh thats probably it. Don't want to jump the gun on him signing.

Looks like Demko may have graduated as well

Will be a very exciting tournament by the looks of it, tons of offensive talent!

So many prospects fighting for spots next year, STOKED!

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

So did Calgary and Edmonton bail on us?  

Looks like it, but can you blame them?  Most of their top young players are already playing in the NHL, which means their prospects cupboard would be lacking when in comparison with us.  Further, given Flames are missing their first round pick this year courtesy of the Islanders, and Oilers may be looking to trade their 1st for immediate help, it makes sense that they would prefer to stay away.

So confirmed now.  Canucks and Jets squads will play 2 games, the rest will be comprised of the college teams of the UBC and U of A

Hard to get excited by this honestly and there's a great deal of talk that this will be the last time this event is held

Screw the Alberta teams.  Got jealous and left.  I love this tourney and stoked to see the prospects.  I'm assuming Elias will go once signed, then add some of their 2018 crop (assuming no USHL / over seas picks).

56 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

No Elias?

Best case scenario. We sign him in the offseason after the season calendar rolls over. If he waits it's one less player to protect in the expansion draft.

He doesn't really gain much from signing an ELC before that date. It also helps our club out. 

(I don't believe he gains anything signing before let me know if I am mistaken)

25 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Best case scenario. We sign him in the offseason after the season calendar rolls over. If he waits it's one less player to protect in the expansion draft.

He doesn't really gain much from signing an ELC before that date. It also helps our club out. 

(I don't believe he gains anything signing before let me know if I am mistaken)

Makes sense for sure.  There's no way he's going back to the SHL.  Not after dominating it.  It's Canucks or bust IMO.

I have been to this tournament and the Canucks showed up when there prospect pool was empty. The Oilers sheltered Mcdavid he was there but didn't play. I doubt Elias plays why have one of our prospects run him trying to make the team.

Archived