The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 Young Stars Classic

It's disappointing. My son and I usually make our way down from Edm for this, but probably won't this year. You could see it coming, though. Seems like there was always an argument about the location, often the top prospects didn't play (or didn't play much) and I guess Katz figured he wasn't bleeding enough out of the fans there. Too bad, but oh well.

And they can forget about us driving to Red Deer to watch half a tourny featuring a bunch of never-will-be's. Got better things to do.

On 5/10/2018 at 12:03 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Didn’t LAK and VGK team up for their prospect tournament last year? We should look at joining up with them, and just leave the Alberta teams out. Rotate the venue. Honestly, I’d be just as happy to grab a cheap flight to LA or Vegas versus Penticton.

i think the canucks see this as an opportunity to expand their reach in the province, marketing, garnering more interest for the canucks from within the province (kind of why they dont hold training camp in van). My guess is Calgary and Edmonton saw the advantage marketing wise of taking their games to smaller town in Alberta for the same reason.

I dont think LA/Vegas would want to come to Penticton for the same reasons, and vice versa. Its a bit of a thank you to fans not so close to the home city.

12 hours ago, EuroCanuck said:

i think the canucks see this as an opportunity to expand their reach in the province, marketing, garnering more interest for the canucks from within the province (kind of why they dont hold training camp in van). My guess is Calgary and Edmonton saw the advantage marketing wise of taking their games to smaller town in Alberta for the same reason.

I dont think LA/Vegas would want to come to Penticton for the same reasons, and vice versa. Its a bit of a thank you to fans not so close to the home city.

In time I see Seattle as a obvious participant. It is a old boys network so who knows. Only been to the Penticton tourny once and it was well worth it. 4 hour drive. Never made it last year and was shocked to see the empty stands. Cost was not that bad so something else must have been going on. Vegas wouldn't be out of the question. Great talent pool. College teams as fillers just is not going to work. It comes down to a trip to see Van play Winnipeg 2X.  

On 5/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, Rush17 said:

So did Calgary and Edmonton bail on us?  

Seems odd to be, but hey less Albertans the better in BC!

With everything going on with that lady in charge of AB, maybe we need to take a page from Donald Trump and build a damn wall blocking Albertans from entering BC. Properties would become a bit more affordable, towns in the Okanagan would be less log jammed with traffic and people who dont know how to signal or turn corners.

Sounds like a better BC to me!!

Too bad they couldn't get Vegas to join the fray this year!!

On 2018. 5. 25. at 10:40 AM, jobird said:

so elias expected to penticton now?  I would assume sooooo

Didn't JB say that EP will be exempt from playing in Youngstars? He said something like EP will be training in Sweden instead during that time and be ready for the main camp.

Maybe someone could enlighten us on this..

19 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Didn't JB say that EP will be exempt from playing in Youngstars? He said something like EP will be training in Sweden instead during that time and be ready for the main camp.

Weird, he should be in Vancouver come August to get a jump start training with Canuck trainers then do the deed like all young prospects and play a token young stars game before entering main camp.

This tourney is geared for fans to see our young up and comers in a small local venue. I will for sure see EP in his rookie year in the NHL and make the drive to the coast but many others, especially with young families won't be able to do that.

So YES, I think EP should go to Penticton.

My bad if I totally missed Jimbo saying he's exempt.

Following the usual van media guys on twitter I'm surprised it didn't get more press.  Especially when the poster came out for youngstars and EP wasn't on it.  

I bet he goes.  His injury is minor, plus he'll need to get a place or room with someone here and get used to the city.

I have no source but I also remember hearing he will not be attending. 

I may be alone on this, but I don't think he needs to either. After dominating one of worlds top men's league, he doesn't need to go back to playing against teens looking to make a name for themselves. Just risking injury really. I don't see the benefit of 2-3 games. Let him stay in Sweden working out and doing whatever he's doing. Seems to be working.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:09 PM, LowerMainLander18 said:

He said EP would be skipping development camp, but would be here for the youngstars tourney.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:57 AM, CeeBee51 said:

last thing we need is for E.P. to suffer some weird sort of injury in a camp he's really to good for.

McSaciour played in a game, so should EP imo.

Was this site down for a while or when it says forbidden.....oees that mean you are banned?

35 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

McSaciour played in a game, so should EP imo.

Was this site down for a while or when it says forbidden.....oees that mean you are banned?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-playbook/jim-benning-elias-pettersson-hes-ready-play-nhl/

I may have misunderstood whether Pettersson will be at the youngstars tourney. Benning says he won't be at development camp and will be preparing for main camp. Development camp and the youngstars tourney are different and happen at different times of the summer, so I'm still unclear if he will join his fellow prospects at the youngstars. I'd love to see him with our other prospects in game settings on NA ice with his future teammates, especially his bestie Dahlen.

Mcjesus likely would have played that entire tournament if Jake Virtanen hadn't obliterated him on the boards in that 1st game of the tourney. The same caution might be made for  Pettersson this season. If they feel he could be a target from the college teams that will be participating this year, they may just keep him out of the games altogether.

And yes we were all banned! :P

• 1 month later...

2018 Young Stars Ticket Packages on sale Friday July 27th at 10 am:

Vancouver, BC - The City of Penticton announced today that 4-Game packages and Ice Level VIP packages go on sale Friday, July 27th at 10 am. The 2018 Young Stars Classic takes place from Friday, September 7th to Sunday, September 9th at the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton, BC. The tournament features prospects from the Winnipeg Jets and Vancouver Canucks, as well as the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds and University of Alberta Golden Bears.

"We are excited to be starting our season in Penticton against the defending U Sports Champion University of Alberta Golden Bears," said Sven Butenschon, Head Coach, UBC Thunderbirds. "With a strong Golden Bear and Thunderbird alumni following in the Okanagan, we are expecting a great atmosphere for these competitive, high-caliber games."

"The Young Stars Classic is a fantastic tournament and the City of Penticton does a tremendous job as host," said Trevor Linden, Canucks President of Hockey Operations. "While the format and participating teams has changed, fans can still expect a lot of excitement and a high level of competition from both top prospects and elite university programs."

Canucks and Jets prospects expected to participate in the tournament include:

• Vancouver Canucks - Elias Pettersson, Jonathan Dahlen, Olli Juolevi, Adam Gaudette, Kole Lind, Michael DiPietro ·
  • Winnipeg Jets - Kristian Vesalainen, Logan Stanley, Michael Spacek, Jansen Harkins, Luke Green, Mikhail Berdin

Full tournament rosters and information will be posted on canucks.com/youngstars and SOEC.ca as they become available. Please note rosters are subject to change. Ticket packages are available online at ValleyFirstTix.com, by phone at 1-877-763-2849 or in person at the South Okanagan Events Centre Valley First Box Office.

For complete package details please visit SOEC.ca. Single game tickets will go on sale at a later date. This year's off-ice festivities include a Minor Hockey Day featuring a Party on the Plaza with games, food, music, entertainment, and skills development camps for BC minor hockey players.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/2018-young-stars-tickets/c-299514378

Archived