The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WCF: (C2) Winnipeg Jets vs. (P1) Vegas Golden Knights | Golden Knights win series 4-1

2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals   

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Jets in 4
    • Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/2018 at 12:00 AM

3 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Anyone still want to argue that the expansion draft rules were fair?

Yes they are still, is it vegas fault that tallon chose to protect a third pairing bum over marchesault or smith? The jackets giving up picks for them to PICK karlsson who had an amazing break out no one thought would happen. Fleury sticking it to the pens for disposing of him for Murray . A D core led by the likes of mcnabb, schmidt as the first pairing. The rules are perfecty fine. 

No no one was complaining when the roster was built post draft but now love to cry because a a team played hard and  willed their way to a finals appearance .

I don't know about everybody, but I'm glad that Winnipeg lost.  

I only want the Stanley Cup back in Canada if it's the Canucks bringing it back.  

Not thrilled that Vegas, being an expansion team, is off to the finals, but they are an exciting team that is playing hockey the way it's supposed to be played.  None of the trap hockey we saw during the previous expansion.  

team play matters. This team plays well together. 

Swiss team too, and they almost won the gold with few stars. Of course, a hot goalie will take you far. Can't win without a good goalie. That's why sharks, jets, kings are all out.  MAF outplayed them all. 

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

I only want the Stanley Cup back in Canada if it's the Canucks bringing it back.  

Not thrilled that Vegas, being an expansion team, is off to the finals, but they are an exciting team that is playing hockey the way it's supposed to be played.  None of the trap hockey we saw during the previous expansion.  

Hate Vegas. But true that. They play a fun game to watch. 

a &^@#ing team playing in its inaugural season is actually going to win the cup... I cant see Tampa or Washington beating the knights..

thats unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Bunch of babies on this board lol. Vegas didn't get handed the keys to the cup final. Nobody expected them to do anything. They are here because their team plays well. That's it. 

People keep talking about how the Vegas fans don't deserve it... NO fans deserve to win the cup. The only team that deserves to win the cup is the one that wins 16 games.

You and Silky Mitts are the lonely voices of reason in an ocean of howling protests. The VGK players and coaches worked their asses off to get this far.  You’d think they were given Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Scheifele, Wheeler, Doughty, Subban, Toews, Kane, etc, in the expansion draft, if the wingeing on this board was anything to go by.

Nope, they got a bunch of lemons and made lemonade. That’s the way the spearmint chews, so it’s time to deal with it.

Sure I’m envious. It would be just a-ok if the Canucks could pull this off sometime before I check out.

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Winnipeg feels like a good Canadian team to me anyway. I mean it’s not like they’re the Leafs. The Jets have a lot of likeable players. They got their team back and have built a contender from fantastic drafting. I’d rather a team like that win then an expansion team on their first year. It just wrecks this precieved model in my head of how building the team is supposed to be done. Should we be rebuilding through the draft or try and pick up everybody’s third liners and just give them ice time.

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

You and Silky Mitts are the lonely voices of reason in an ocean of howling protests. The VGK players and coaches worked their asses off to get this far.  You’d think they were given Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Scheifele, Wheeler, Doughty, Subban, Toews, Kane, etc, in the expansion draft, if the wingeing on this board was anything to go by.

Nope, they got a bunch of lemons and made lemonade. That’s the way the spearmint chews, so it’s time to deal with it.

Sure I’m envious. It would be just a-ok if the Canucks could pull this off something before I check out.

well said. I'm a bit envious too, but they are showing a way to build a winning team without an all star cast.  

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Yes they are still, is it vegas fault that tallon chose to protect a third pairing bum over marchesault or smith? The jackets giving up picks for them to PICK karlsson who had an amazing break out no one thought would happen. Fleury sticking it to the pens for disposing of him for Murray . A D core led by the likes of mcnabb, schmidt as the first pairing. The rules are perfecty fine. 

No no one was complaining when the roster was built post draft but now love to cry because a a team played hard and  willed their way to a finals appearance .

The point is the GMs should never have had to make those difficult choices. The same rules that applied to Minnesota, Nashville, Columbus, etc., should have applied to Vegas. They paid a higher expansion fee for more favorable draft rules. Their fans get to reap the benefits while other fan bases that have had to weather years of heartbreak or flat out ineptness have to watch their teams continue to lose at the expense of the team that picked players off their rosters. Vegas essentially paid more money for the right to have a better team. That is exactly the type of advantage that the NHL has tried to get away from with the salary cap. It's a complete joke that an expansion team is able to make the Cup finals in its first year. There's no other way to argue it.

30 minutes ago, 6string said:

I don't know about averages but I would guess it's gonna get a whole lot worst soon with Seattle arriving as the next charity expansion city.

Ya gotta think more cities in America are gonna lineup in bigger numbers now to bid for their charity expansion team too.

Consider this.... Every team that Vegas has played so far has likely sat players out that they kept in favour of guys on the team that Vegas used to beat them.

14 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Personally it's hard not to get behind them.  After what happened in Vegas, and as your post accurately states when they built the roster it seemed ho hum, not a dominant team.  Good for them, not sure what that does to a fan base and their future expectations, but if they win the cup I won't be jealous, but happy for them, especially guys that got snubbed after scoring 30 goals, and a future HHOF goalie still in his prime left open etc.  

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Winnipeg feels like a good Canadian team to me anyway. I mean it’s not like they’re the Leafs. The Jets have a lot of likeable players. They got their team back and have built a contender from fantastic drafting. I’d rather a team like that win then an expansion team on their first year. It just wrecks this precieved model in my head of how building the team is supposed to be done. Should we be rebuilding through the draft or try and pick up everybody’s third liners and just give them ice time.

For a while there, that’s what it seemed we were doing:P

5 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

Well an all star goalie helps!

Without MAF playing incredibly lights out, Vegas does not get this far.  When he’s done, and playing like MAF again, Vegas will not make the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I guess? It's gone now for me. They rolled over the West and didn't even have a difficult time doing it. 

I’m totally shocked Vegas beat the Jets in 5, and won 4 in a row to do it.  Are they like the Kings of 2012?  They have a super hot goalie, and (luckily) injury free.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m totally shocked Vegas beat the Jets in 5, and won 4 in a row to do it.  Are they like the Kings of 2012?  They have a super hot goalie, and (luckily) injury free.

thats exactly what they are, just with a better coach 

10 minutes ago, dougieL said:

The point is the GMs should never have had to make those difficult choices. The same rules that applied to Minnesota, Nashville, Columbus, etc., should have applied to Vegas. They paid a higher expansion fee for more favorable draft rules. Their fans get to reap the benefits while other fan bases that have had to weather years of heartbreak or flat out ineptness have to watch their teams continue to lose at the expense of the team that picked players off their rosters. Vegas essentially paid more money for the right to have a better team. That is exactly the type of advantage that the NHL has tried to get away from with the salary cap. It's a complete joke that an expansion team is able to make the Cup finals in its first year. There's no other way to argue it.

Sorry but it sounds funny to hear that those poor GMs shouldn’t have had to make such difficult choices.

Just because a few chump teams got hosed in their expansion draft doesn’t mean that this should be the time honoured tradition.

Before your time, probably, a few enterprising gents got together and formed their own league called the WHA.

That my friend is how the NHL took on such major league cities like Edmonton, Hartford, Winnipeg, and Quebec City.

It seems to me that the Jets and the Oilers, in particular, brought some fairly decent players into the NHL with them.

As an interesting sidebar, Birmingham and Cincinnati each got a whopping 1.5m to sod off.

Archived