The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs name Kyle Dubas General Manager

Wow! I thought they were really going to go with experience.

Dubas is pretty much near a newbie.

Guessing he was picked because he's a yes-man, instead of the other candidate Mark Hunter who has won on every previous level.

Hopefully he follows in the track of his colleague in Arizona :lol:

I'm wondering if the Leafs choke next year and miss the playoffs, wondering if he'll have the guts to fire Babcock LOL.  Can't imagine Babcock is too pleased about that, their philosophy is probably at each end of the spectrum.

George McPhee was interviewed yesterday by Don Taylor and Moj.  Asked about analytics, he said he's a big advocate.  He said the numbers are not the be all and end all, but another club in his golf bag.  They either confirm what you suspect or show you things that you should look at.

That's swell of Toronto to announce this on the heels of a Jets Game 7 victory to help steal any deserved attention on sites like Sportsnet. Front page news isn't the Jets going to the conference finals, it's the Leaf's new GM. Classy!

This should come as no surprise to anyone. You can’t deny him the chance to leave twice to be GM elsewhere, then deny him that opportunity when it becomes available. 

Also it was no surprise after such a good season that Lou was Fired. Matthews told them he would Never sign a contract with Lou.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

That's swell of Toronto to announce this on the heels of a Jets Game 7 victory to help steal any deserved attention on sites like Sportsnet. Front page news isn't the Jets going to the conference finals, it's the Leaf's new GM. Classy!

Baa ha ha, now TO fired Dwayne Casey.  I know all 3 aren't connected but the cynic in me still thinks Toronto is going "Screw you Winnipeg and your success!  Look at me..Loooooooooook aaaaaaaaaatttttt meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

54 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

This should come as no surprise to anyone. You can’t deny him the chance to leave twice to be GM elsewhere, then deny him that opportunity when it becomes available. 

Also it was no surprise after such a good season that Lou was Fired. Matthews told them he would Never sign a contract with Lou.

Is that really a thing? 

Happy for Dubas. This hiring is good for my school and my program. I hope he gets as close to winning a cup as possible, but then doesn't win it.

Fun fact about Dubas, when he was an intern at the SSM (24 years of age), he walked right into the conference room that was hosting potential GM's for SSM and presented a 150 page booklet outlining how he would run the Greyhounds. From how he would sell tickets to what time of players he would target in the 6th round of the bantam draft. It blew Sault Ste. Marie's staff away and they hired him that day.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Wow! I thought they were really going to go with experience.

Dubas is pretty much near a newbie.

Guessing he was picked because he's a yes-man, instead of the other candidate Mark Hunter who has won on every previous level.

He is a very bright guy - and anything but a yes man.   This is actually a very good move to keep one of the best up and coming minds in their organization.   It is a risky move re. experience but this guy built the recent Soo team that went from nowhere to consistent contender.

The most interesting thing will be to see how a coach who hates any control deals with someone not much older than his own kids.

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Happy for Dubas. This hiring is good for my school and my program. I hope he gets as close to winning a cup as possible, but then doesn't win it.

Fun fact about Dubas, when he was an intern at the SSM (24 years of age), he walked right into the conference room that was hosting potential GM's for SSM and presented a 150 page booklet outlining how he would run the Greyhounds. From how he would sell tickets to what time of players he would target in the 6th round of the bantam draft. It blew Sault Ste. Marie's staff away and they hired him that day.

Is Dubas more about making a profit or winning championships?  Is there a different goal (keeping the franchise a float) for the Junior GMs?

Archived