The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Intelligent Debate on Ancient Alien Theory

EuroCanuck

Just now, Rush17 said:

The best thing for American citizens might just be to leave the country. If they are not fixing the issue get your papers and move somewhere without as many guns.  I would not feel comfortable with my children in their schools if it keeps it up 2 a month... How long til it happens at your kids school?

Wrong thread Rush....

....a bit early to start drinking isn't it?:P

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Wrong thread Rush....

....a bit early to start drinking isn't it?:P

Lol.  I'm not a drinker. :) Well aside from coffee. :D having one now to regroup lol.  90 minutes of work to go until the weekend! Woohoo

Haven't/don't have the time to read the whole thead atm, so I apologise if this has already been addressed previously.

Question(s) I would raise are these:

1.) Are you guys talking just about life being found elsewhere in the solar system/galaxy/universe (even bacteria qualifies)?;

2.) Or are we talking non-intelligent, non-sapient lifeforms (eg. sponges etc up to "animals"), or are we talking about intelligent life (something like a pre-homo sapiens sapiens type of creature up to something comparable to us)?;

3.) Or are we talking about an advanced civilization which is capable of space travel over long distances in a short period of time?

4.) Or are you talking about the uber-spacemen derived from Eric von Daniken's stuff who showed up on Earth, got involved with us for some reason, and then buggered off for some other reasons leaving no solid evidence of them ever being here? I'd be disappointed if this last one were the case, because he's a goof. Just the timeline of these "discoveries" and their ethnocentric interpretations make his stuff laughable. 

The bacteria/simple cell life form example is (imo) likely there 100%. It is just waiting to be found, whether on Mars or perhaps on one of the moons in orbit around one of the gas giants (Europa being the most likely candidate as I recall). And if not here, then it's in the next solar system, the one just over there.

The existence of more complex lifeforms is possible (imo), but i'd agree with the school of thought that they are less common in the universe due to requirements for more complex life to thrive.

The existence of intelligent life is perhaps less so to that of mere complex life. I suggest this because of the potential rarity of finding a habitable niche similar to ours... and then there's always the possibility of life based on something completely different from us. And there's always Luck to be considered. Asteroids, glacial epochs, having some of your atmosphere burned off, etc can really screw up your day.

Advanced civilizations being out there "somewhere" could be a thing. What we know of Physics and travel through space and time suggests to me that they might not be able to travel that far, at least not without some kind of Buck Rogers technology to warp space/time to cover the kind of distances required. 

I suspect that the best chance we have of ever making contact with an advanced alien species is through a project similar to SETI. 

regards,  G.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read that the UAE are planning on getting into the space race, with an eye towards a Mars mission.

No word yet on whether they plan to build rockets, or if they're just going to add a few floors to the Burj Khalifa...

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just read that the UAE are planning on getting into the space race, with an eye towards a Mars mission.

No word yet on whether they plan to build rockets, or if they're just going to add a few floors to the Burj Khalifa...

Giant ladder on top of the hotel.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:06 AM, bishopshodan said:

"The paper, which was published in Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, attempts to tackle the question of how life originated here on Earth. The researchers embrace a number of different proposed explanations and discuss their implications, but one particularly interesting note is their proposal that cephalopods (squid, octopus, and cuttlefish) may have originated somewhere other than Earth. Woah."

http://bgr.com/2018/05/17/octopus-aliens-cephalopods-research-study/

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/18/are-octopuses-alien-new-theory-argues-earth-was-seeded-by-interstellar-genetic-code.html

No wonder Obama said to Spieth "And you won’t believe what the aliens look like"

Seems like the creators of the movie Arrival had an idea.

I'm not eating Calamari any more.

But if they were planted here by super smart alien squid to eventually take over the earth, shouldn't we be eating more?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But if they were planted here by super smart alien squid to eventually take over the earth, shouldn't we be eating more?

As one who eats calamari every chance he gets, I now realize why I'm the smartest person I know....B)

Taking a cuttlefish sandwich to work today.....

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno,

I don't want to answer to them if they've been looking down watching us chomp on their descendants for years!    :frantic:

On 5/12/2018 at 11:05 PM, Slegr said:

Cool topic. I haven't seen the shows yet - are they on Netflix?

I often wondered if life as we know it may have actually come from Mars or Venus. These planets are old, and Venus was probably like Earth once upon a time. Same with Mars. 

One idea I actually entertain.  Who knows what planetary environment was like on Mars /venus 250 million years ago ?  It is a huge stretch but it is possible that intelligent life evolved on say Mars or Venus, lived out its cycle over this time span and just maybe had the ability to hop onto the next lily pad  ?

Either way we cannot leave our system as FTL travel is impossible. We are stuck in this galactic fish bowl until someone figures out the entrance to a worm hole  or invents hyperdrive :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

One idea I actually entertain.  Who knows what planetary environment was like on Mars /venus 250 million years ago ?  It is a huge stretch but it is possible that intelligent life evolved on say Mars or Venus, lived out its cycle over this time span and just maybe had the ability to hop onto the next lily pad  ?

Either way we cannot leave our system as FTL travel is impossible. We are stuck in this galactic fish bowl until someone figures out the entrance to a worm hole  or invents hyperdrive :rolleyes:

....or understanding dark matter/energy and dimensions? or, or maybe we don't have to travel...could we send messages coded on a Neutrino? I ( if we ever catch/detect one...then how do we get it going again? like I understand this stuff!:P) or upload a consciousness? Kaku talks about this in The Future of the Mind book. He thinks we will be able to. Recently they lopped the head off a pig and kept it 'alive' artificially for 35hrs. They dont think it was aware (conscious) but the brain was still operating.....maybe a first step? will we be heads in jars??? then just codes off data, held on an online server....Black Mirror-ish...

Archived