The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Posterity's sake: Details regarding Daniel and Henrik's final week.

Canuck7071

Hi.  I'm new here. I posted this article on another board a few weeks ago now, as I thought it would be good to put the various details that we had all noted, regarding Daniel and Henrik's final week, in one place.  Seems like this might be the best place for such a thing.  

Going into the weekend of April May 31-April 1, nobody really knew if Daniel and Henrik Sedin, then 37 years old, were going to retire or return to play one final season for Vancouver.
Then came the news on Monday, when the Sedins announced that they would retire at the end of the season which would conclude the following Saturday in Edmonton. Prior to that there would be two home games - chances for Canuck nation and the twins to say a proper goodbye.
With that news conference came the end of an era. Memories, both on and off the ice, were defined, as if seen to belong in a scrapbook that now, sadly, had a back cover.
The next home game was the following evening, and ticket prices went so through the roof that there was talk of having the game at BC Place Stadium (what with its retractable dome). With Vegas in town we watched Daniel and Henrik's penultimate pre-game skate on home ice. Many of us could feel the city's affection through our TVs. Here were "our Swedes," who had made Vancouver "their" city. Much love. The last time I remember that kind of feeling was when Trevor Linden announced his retirement.
And so the game began. Would the Sedins work their magic at least one last time? Would the magic work through them?
The twins had their "step." They played with such vitality that the thought of their imminent retirement seemed paradoxical. The "magic" seemed to appear when Ashton Sautner scored a goal that both of the twins had assisted on. The first of Sautner's career. Nice, given the wider occasion. But it was not meant to be, as the goal was disallowed. And for the remainder of regulation, despite their very solid play, the Sedins were held off the scoresheet.
However, when regulation time ended the gondola above centre ice ominously reported that the shots on goal were a very tidy 33 to 22. "Is asking for a Sedin OT goal pushing it?!" said the Canucks' official Twitter feed...

As fate would have it, nobody scored in overtime and the Vegas Golden Knights won the shoot-out, thereby adding to what had long since become the most impressive inaugural season in the history of North America's major sports.
That left one final kick at the proverbial can, and on what was the eve of Vancouver's 132nd birthday, the Arizona Coyotes came to town for what would be Numbers 22 and 33's final home game.
Once again Daniel and Henrik had real jump, but it was Arizona who opened the score at 3:44. After some close calls the Sedins went to the locker room at the end of the first period without so much as a single point.
Then, Daniel tied the game by scoring a beautiful goal that was set up by Henrik and Alex Edler. The "magic" seemed to play out at two levels. Here was yet another beautiful goal scored by the twins working in combination. As for the other, it was Daniel's 22nd goal of the season, scored exactly 33 seconds into the second period.
If nothing else happened, that would have been enough for me.
But there was more to come, and echoes of the previous game were felt when the Sedins' final home game also went into overtime.
And that was when "it" happened, a kind of ending that will surely rank up there with the best of all-time Canuck moments. With 3:44 remaining in overtime the Sedins took up their positions in the Coyotes' zone, while Bo Horvat took what was the game's final face-off. Horvat won the draw, Vancouver's 33rd such win to go with 22 for Arizona.
For a little over a minute we all got to watch the twins do what they had done so well and for long, circulate the puck like magicians. Sure, the Canucks were on the power play, but that didn't matter. In that final minute, we all lived history.
Then came the final magical moment, at 9:37 local time, with Daniel earning his 55th point (22 + 33) on another goal that was assisted by Henrik and Edler, at what turned out to be 2:33 of overtime.
As we would learn later, that final goal also delivered the final points of Daniel and Henrik's career. A "perfect" ending, said the Hockey Night in Canada crew the following weekend. "It's predestination," said John Garrett, the affable goalie-turned-broadcaster who assisted on Gordie Howe's very last goal.
Make of it what you will, (and as for the other "Canuck" nation, if you like this sort of thing you might want to click here to learn more about Sidney Crosby's Golden Goal). But in the decades to come, as this story gets told over an over again, Alex Edler's role in all of this should certainly be mentioned.
As we all know, over the years the Canucks franchise has been gifted with several very capable Swedes. That describes Edler who, like Daniel and Henrik, is also a medal-winning Olympian.
Edler's assists on both of these historic goals added a further Swedish touch which may evoke Tre Konnor.
"Snyggt gjort!" as they say in Stockholm (I think).

trekonor3.jpg.73c1e3234ac2ee2819e5dd11882cd5bd.jpg

Update Jan 2019 

This week, on morning television, a picture appeared of the Canucks' newest superstar Swede, Elias Pettersson, at the time of his 5th birthday party. Seen below, apparently the pic had been in circulation for a while.  It was finally presented on Vancouver TV - of course -  because EP was wearing a Vancouver T-shirt.   A very remarkable "coincidence," since it was this young boy's fate to become a Vancouver Canuck. 

Others noted that EP's two peace signs were similarly fitting.  They fit as an allusion to Vancouver, the V.  But it's also true that V is the Roman for 5. This young boy would go on to be the 5th player drafted in 2017, by Vancouver. 

EliasPettersson5thbday.jpg.33e588f42efc3e1df2ba93188dc01259.jpg

Note how the cake is of a hockey scene.  Scary stuff. They had this kid eating goalies before he even started school. 

With that image in mind, consider EP40's first NHL goal (which doubled as the most noteworthy Canucks moment since Daniel and Henrik's final goal).  

In the main essay here I had noted that the Sedins' final goal had been scored on the eve of Vancouver's birthday - fitting timing, since this was a 'Vancouver' story. 

As for Petterson's first goal, another Vancouver story: In coming with 6:12 remaining in the first period of that home game against Calgary, the timing correlates to the discovery of the area where the city of Vancouver would one day rise, - on June 12 or "6/12" in 1792. That's when Captain George Vancouver first showed up.

The most interesting feature about Pettersson's first goal, in my opinion, concerns that fact that many Canucks fans now feel like they 'hit the jackpot' in acquiring EP... When one goes back in time, from the time of EP's first NHL goal, by  EXACTLY 777 weeks...

One arrives at Elias Pettersson's 5th birthday, when the picture above was taken!! 

JACKPOT.

Or, Tre Konor strikes again.   

EliasPettersson777.jpg.9c89ab5c5750ceac93db9e39a4c075d4.jpg

18 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Yeah, this didn't really reveal anything new most of us didn't know from living/existing during that week.

True, but that's not the purpose of the post.  The details are fresh in our minds now.  In a few years many of them will be forgotten.   My aim was to put the ones that I could recall all in one place.  

33 minutes ago, Canuck7071 said:

A detail? Technically, yes... but about as much of a detail as "grass is green".

Just to give y'all some context, I found this on the OPs blog:

"Gretzky, I learned, was 4,263 days old when Henderson scored the Goal of the Century in 1972.   This provides another veiled Golden Goal relational association, since 4,263 factors out to 49 x 87: Gretzky was 49 years old when Number 87 scored the Golden Goal."

18 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Announcing their retirement early (and the winning-streak it caused) probably/possibly cost us Dahlin.

More than that, it probably hurt the pending cure for cancer and it led to a breakdown of the budding truce between cats and dogs everywhere.    In fact, pretty sure Israel would have made up with the Palestine movement IF the Sedins had waited until the summer to announce as they had a vested interest in the Tank movement (which they confused for military strategy but, Hamas makes errors).    

Well stated.  Post of the year!    

30 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

What a surprise!  Another snotty post from a guy with 5-10k reputation (who can't handle facts he doesn't like)! 

I don't think anyone denies that the team amped up the intensity following the announcement... I just think that the majority of fans aren't go to be little bitches that bring it up/whine about it.

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Yeah, this didn't really reveal anything new most of us didn't know from living/existing during that week.

I didn't know John Garret assisted on Gordie Howe's last goal. 

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Announcing their retirement early (and the winning-streak it caused) probably/possibly cost us Dahlin.

It possibly may have but if you know stats it probably did not. 

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Ron McLean level boring

Let me differ with you, respectfully, on Ron Maclean. 

For starters, I seriously doubt that Ron would be a national-level announcer for 32 years, if he is "boring."

Much to the contrary, I find Ron MacLean to be an interesting and very well-informed student of the game who gets, very well, ice hockey's place as a pillar of Canadian culture.  That's the main reason why I find him to be a very interesting contributor.  He likes to remind us of our shared legacy.   

16 minutes ago, Canuck7071 said:

Let me differ with you, respectfully, on Ron Maclean. 

For starters, I seriously doubt that Ron would be a national-level announcer for 32 years, if he is "boring."

Much to the contrary, I find Ron MacLean to be an interesting and very well-informed student of the game who gets, very well, ice hockey's place as a pillar of Canadian culture.  That's the main reason why I find him to be a very interesting contributor.  He likes to remind us of our shared legacy.   

To each their own.

I find him to be painfully dull, dry and monotonous. Like a highschool librarian sitting next to the insane gym teacher who was supposed to retire a decade ago..

3 hours ago, Canuck7071 said:

A detail? Technically, yes... but about as much of a detail as "grass is green".

To problems here... First, there are many relevant details in the OP, which is rather different than your singular grass is green statement. 

Secondly, there is nothing surprising about grass being green.  Much to the contrary, when it comes to the Sedin's final four points, we ought to strongly suspect that the last two goals would have unfolded in ways that are NOT glaringly relevant to both players.  

Then, in a further apparent attempt to disparage me, you say this, "Just to give y'all some context, I found this on the OPs blog:"

"Gretzky, I learned, was 4,263 days old when Henderson scored the Goal of the Century in 1972.   This provides another veiled Golden Goal relational association, since 4,263 factors out to 49 x 87: Gretzky was 49 years old when Number 87 scored the Golden Goal."

Here's some more context, my friend.  For starters, you can't argue that the 49 and the 87 aren't both relevant to the Golden Goal and Gretzky, because they clearly are.  Not only is that true, but we not talking about 'any' relevant associations here:  Much to the contrary, we are talking about the creme de la creme, meaningful relationships derived from what was 'the' biggest moment in the history of Canadian hockey, as that applies to the one individual who owns the NHL record book AND opened the Olympic Games that Crosby's goal ended, which many consider to be 'the' greatest Canadian hockey goal to have been scored since Henderson's from 38 years earlier. 

There is, in other words, nothing trivial about these connections.  Moreover, they are based on a to-the-exact-day level of precision that comes along just once every 11 and half years ( 1 x 4263, 2 x 4263, 3 x 4263 etc). As such, this connection that ya'll wish to point out to everybody, exceeds in terms of the improbability of its appearance, a coveted Four-of-a-Kind Poker hand, which one can expect to see once every 4,164 times cards are dealt (in chance-controlled settings). 

Finally, we all have our right to have opinions, so if you think mine is worthy of mockery, or that it is boring, have at it.  Frankly, I'm not interested in your opinion.  What would be of interest, is if ya'll can provide factual evidence, consistently,  which shows that randomly selected hockey goals unfold in ways that are clearly relevant to the occasion, as we recently saw with the Sedins' two final goals, and with the plethora of 87s that apply to Sidney Crosby's Golden Goal:  

5afb202e278ac_87sGoldenGoal2010-MappingtheEventHorizonsbyMarkGrant.png.fb12c5f91ceda523fe4c468a626dbd86.png

Good luck with that, and please let me know if you do. 

Archived