The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trading up

It's no secret that we are going to be looking for a blueliner at the draft this year. However, looking at their respective rosters, I see reason for concern that picks 4-6 will be used on D prospects (assuming the top 3 of Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina go as advertised) as all 3 of Ottawa, Arizona and Detroit have better forwards in the pipeline than defence.

What do you think it would cost to move up 2 or 3 spots?

To Ottawa: 7th overall, Baertschi

To Vancouver: 4th overall

15 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

It's no secret that we are going to be looking for a blueliner at the draft this year. However, looking at their respective rosters, I see reason for concern that picks 4-6 will be used on D prospects (assuming the top 3 of Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina go as advertised) as all 3 of Ottawa, Arizona and Detroit have better forwards in the pipeline than defence.

What do you think it would cost to move up 2 or 3 spots?

To Ottawa: 7th overall, Baertschi

To Vancouver: 4th overall

Baer has no real value.  Plus, we will get a very good prospect at 7, likely just as good as Ottawa does at 4.  

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah I haven't looked at the Sens payroll but I wonder if eating one of their contracts (so as long as it ain't like a real long-term one) might entice the Sens?

Take back burrows?

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Baer has no real value.  Plus, we will get a very good prospect at 7, likely just as good as Ottawa does at 4.  

Alf, I respectfully disagree.  Baertschi is a solid 2nd line nhl left winger.  This is not valueless. He was 39th in ppg for left wingers.  This puts him in the top half of 2nd line wingers. He is also only 25 and has improved every year.  If he has no trade value then more than have the league has no trade value.  I am not a gm and can't say what he is worth precisely, but I think you are being unrealistic, respectfully of course!

That being said, I would not give up anything to move to 4. I think from 4-9 is a crap shoot this year and any of those guys could end up being the best of the group.  I would focus all of my trade efforts on acquiring another pick or picks in the first and second round.

I'd honestly not try to take Ottawa's first, they are definitely going to need it, but I'd definitely see what I could do to give them a quality cheap winger replacement for a Bobby Ryan package.  They retain a small % of salary, and we'll send them someone along the lines of Baertschi and a 3rd for Ryan, a 2nd, and a  prospect.

Count that 2nd as a low first round pick for where it is actually going to sit, and Ryan...you can gamble that he'll return to form with a different set up than is in Ottawa.  Going to have to shore up a line specifically for him, but hey.  Then maybe you talk to Dallas about getting a package with Spezza cap dump in it.

Ottawa has no intention of trading their 4th - if anything they would prefer to move up themselves.  They will not have a 1st next year.  Melnyk also confirmed in a letter to season ticket holders that they are rebuilding.  He writes that they are not going to be mortgaging their future for stop gaps.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Ottawa has no intention of trading their 4th.  They will not have a 1st next year.  Melnyk also confirmed in a letter to season ticket holders that they are rebuilding. 

But that is a good reason to grab more prospects now isn't it? I don't think Baer on his own would do it tho, they'd probably want Baer and Dahlen back to make that move.

I don't think Brady Tkachuk is worth that move tho. I suppose if Jim is really that high on Boqvist? but I don't think thats the case. But thats a steep price. 

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No value is pushing it?

Maybe not enough to move up??  But I recall the mic of Benning at the last draft picking up that a second was to be McPhee's suggestion as to cost in moving up a few spots. But maybe enough? He's a former 13th overall pick. Ottawa does not have a 1st next year. An extra body with some skills, if there is not a big gap from 4 to 7 as u speculate, might give them that extra tool to do it.

Baer was on track for 40 points. Not great with top line deployment. But not horrible considering he's not on the top PP either. He's at worst an adequate substitute in the top 6. And he has enough speed, good enough defensively he's not a liability either...

It is getting late for a breakout. But such occurrences happen. He has pretty slick skills. I have always wondered why he has not? If we could not get a 2knd in terms of value? I would not be trading Baer. Lets put it that way!

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

No value is pushing it?

Maybe not enough to move up??  But I recall the mic of Benning at the last draft picking up that a second was to be McPhee's suggestion as to cost in moving up a few spots. But maybe enough? He's a former 13th overall pick. Ottawa does not have a 1st next year. An extra body with some skills, if there is not a big gap from 4 to 7 as u speculate, might give them that extra tool to do it.

Baer was on track for 40 points. Not great with top line deployment. But not horrible considering he's not on the top PP either. He's at worst an adequate substitute in the top 6. And he has enough speed, good enough defensively he's not a liability either...

It is getting late for a breakout. But such occurrences happen. He has pretty slick skills. I have always wondered why he has not? If we could not get a 2knd in terms of value? I would not be trading Baer. Lets put it that way!

If he's worth a second, I'd prefer another second over moving up 3 spots.  I was pretty choked to be at 5 last year and Benning came through in a big way.  There is a ton of talent available at 7 that will fit perfectly into our future core.

If we arent entering the top 3 I'm not interested in trading up.... I'm happy taking any of the D men or Wahlstrom at 7.

If we can get a second 1st rd in the top 15 I would be happy, but this means we trade Tanev and or other pieces. We can't trade our future for 1 pick.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But that is a good reason to grab more prospects now isn't it? I don't think Baer on his own would do it tho, they'd probably want Baer and Dahlen back to make that move.

I don't think Brady Tkachuk is worth that move tho. I suppose if Jim is really that high on Boqvist? but I don't think thats the case. But thats a steep price. 

Ottawa would like to draft higher not further back.  

Dorion also doesn't have the same valuation as Benning on Dahlen.  Maybe that has changed after his season, but at the time of the trade he was confident that he wasn't trading a player who had the potential to make an impact at the NHL level.  The interviewer was asking him about fans being upset about the trade and maybe that's why he answered that way.   In other interviews he did say they had a handful of core prospects and that he wasn't part of that group. 

47 minutes ago, mll said:

Ottawa would like to draft higher not further back.  

Dorion also doesn't have the same valuation as Benning on Dahlen.  Maybe that has changed after his season, but at the time of the trade he was confident that he wasn't trading a player who had the potential to make an impact at the NHL level.  The interviewer was asking him about fans being upset about the trade and maybe that's why he answered that way.   In other interviews he did say they had a handful of core prospects and that he wasn't part of that group. 

Sure but there has to be a trade that makes it work. I think its pretty clear he was wrong on Dahlen. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Sure but there has to be a trade that makes it work. I think its pretty clear he was wrong on Dahlen. 

They are looking for quality prospects just like the Canucks.  There's no deal to be made because the players they would want are players the Canucks are not going to move.  

I still think that the Canucks aren't in a position to start moving assets to upgrade if it means having less assets than they already have.  Having said that, I prefer the best quality that they can get and if it means being boring and doing nothing, so be it.

There are 4 good defenders after Dahlin who would fit the bill for the Canucks.  Since there are 3 forwards in the top 5 and 4 in the top 7, I think that the Canucks will have their choice of several of these defenders.  It's exactly what the team needs.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Things change.  When they traded Dahlen for Burrows, they were in win now mode.  Not any more.

I just hope that Benning (& Aquilini) can remain patient and not do anything foolish.

3 hours ago, EagleShield said:

It's no secret that we are going to be looking for a blueliner at the draft this year.

Well, it WAS a massive secret that the Canucks were interested in a blueliner and now you have ruined it all.    

Well done EagleShield.   I hope you are happy with yourself.   

Archived