The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hurricanes open to dealing everybody but Sebastian Aho

7 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

Hanifin please ::D

Yes would make a trade for this young talented guy..Hanifin 21, 6'3 should be a 50 pt D man, lots of offensive..

Hurricaines  would want a 1st rounder and a prospect back for Hanifin..

I also think Julien Gauthier would be a perfect fit for our future. How about a good ‘ol blockbuster?

Tanev to Toronto for Liljegren+25

Baertschi, Lind, 7, 25, 37+ for Hanifin, Gauthier, 2.

We might have to add a little more to get all that but we have to pounce on this opportunity. 

The only way we are getting any of their good players is if Horvat, Boeser, Petterson or our first are being included in the talks. We don't have any other assets they'd want. Maybe they would be interested in Demko but I would imagine it would be something like Demko and our 1st this year for Skinner or something like that. I don't see you getting Hanafin for that.

And I don't think that is a trade you make. 

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Shocking isn't it!

It seems dumb! Like they are going to play poker with their players to steal some extra value. Instead of just developing their team.

@Rob_Zepp what are your thoughts? By memory Carolina is one of your teams.

Slowly, painfully, they had been making progress was my observation.  Francis removal aside which was a danger sign. Great D, accumulating forwards, good puck possession and solid metrics, some two way players in place. Aho and Skinner are highly productive where probably not elite. Solid, very solid, pieces though? A couple guys like Rask regressed but not everyone. My take is they were missing a game breaker and solid goaltending!  Seemed stuck in the stereotype where drafting 3rd and 5th gets you close, but not over the edge...

2005 through 2010 LA had been accumulating guys like this. Perhaps they had their game breakers in place, but had not jumped the threshold to strength yet. They got to the point where they had more prospects than they could place, made a few trades & suddenly they were in it.  My take is Carolina was 2 to 4 years from there? Should have kept accumulating & developing.  A gamebreaker to emerge from Hanifin, Aho, Necas, another found in the draft.

Do they have a goalie of sufficient potential in their prospect base?

QFT

Just said what I was coming here to say / trying to say above.

The slow rebuild was the issue for Peters.   At the end of last season Peters was talking about how it was the time to take the next step.  He wanted Francis to use draft picks to make trades for players who could help the team be finally competitive. Peters: "I’m excited that we have seven picks early and hopefully we only use three of them". Francis mostly stayed put and that frustrated Peters.  There was also too much losing and players stopped competing because they got used to the losing.  Peters probably shared those thoughts with Dundon.

4 hours ago, mll said:

The slow rebuild was the issue for Peters.   At the end of last season Peters was talking about how it was the time to take the next step.  He wanted Francis to use draft picks to make trades for players who could help the team be finally competitive. Peters: "I’m excited that we have seven picks early and hopefully we only use three of them". Francis mostly stayed put and that frustrated Peters.  There was also too much losing and players stopped competing because they got used to the losing.  Peters probably shared those thoughts with Dundon.

Maybe.

I heard Bobby Mac suggest they were not unhappy he exercised his out clause.  Maybe saved them paying out the last year of his deal was the speculation.  Not sure it was Bob Mackenzie? One of the insiders on one of the shows.  

Dundon said this to all his players: “It’s our job to find players better than you, and it’s your job to make that hard”.   It's more likely that Carolina adds to get a better asset and not the other way around. 

McKenzie's take comes from Dundon's end of season presser where he said this:

https://nsjonline.com/article/2018/04/hurricanes-dundon-signals-changes-in-end-of-season-talk/

“I can tell you, we’re not finding better players than Sebastian Aho,” Dundon said. “We’re just not. We’re not finding hard workers and we’re not finding more committed hockey players.”

Dundon’s praise of Aho, however, was a postscript to his larger message: No one is safe, and everyone — management, players, coaches, and maybe even concession workers and parking attendants — should be on full alert.

“It’s our job to find players better than you, and it’s your job to make that hard,” was the message Dundon said he delivered to players during exit interviews — meetings he held without a figure from the front office or coach Bill Peters. “But there’s none of them I’m not trying to replace. Every one of them I want a better player than every one of them. That’s our job.”

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Dundon said this to all his players: “It’s our job to find players better than you, and it’s your job to make that hard”.

This guy must have talked to Wally Buono.

Hanifins asking price wont be this years 1st rounder, it has to be hockey trade to shake things up.

Something like Draisaitl straight up.

Flame away but I would trade Boeser for Hanifin, it seems Petterson will end up at RW anyway so we wouldnt be completely blank at that position and we could always draft Wahlstrom this summer. We would get our franchise dman and carolina shakes their team without losing quality.

What the hell is going on in Carolina? I've had em pegged us up and comers for a few years now but at most they've been taking baby steps forward. You'd think they'll price their guys high and see what they can get while continuing to move forward with a relatively young roster. Are they rebuilding again? Trying to compete? For an organization with some really good young players and prospects they sure have languished in the bad/not good enough territory for a good while now.

Can't see Carolina moving Hanifin for 7th overall. He is a good young productive NHL d man already. Canucks would have to add to get Hanifin in my opinion.

Can he play the right side?

Think it would take more than we would want to offer for him.

Maybe target a different D that would cost less to acquire?

For all you people wanting Slavin, you can forget about it. He just signed a very cap friendly deal last offseason that'll be very cheap when he hits his prime within the next couple of years. I want him too but there's no chance he's being moved.... Same with Hanifin....

Unless the new ownership group is trying to be a budget team and getting rid of high contracts.

Archived