The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hurricanes open to dealing everybody but Sebastian Aho

Kapanen has yet to show he can be consistant in the NHL. The first is pretty high. I don't know it's enough. I don't know how many top two, right side D are on the market. I would want more than Kap and the late first. Who knows. Maybe it's a draft day deal where the Canes wait to see who they can pick with TO's first. I'm trying not to be biased but I still feel Tanev is a real good fit on their right side need in TO. Salary wise as well. 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This.

It has been my opinion since Feb anyway.

Hamilton already had a 42 point season when he was traded. Commanded a bit more. Hanifin has that potential?

Hanifin is not in Seth Jones league.

When Jones was traded he was 21, same as Hanifin, had 11 points in 40 games with Nashville, 27 points in 82 games the year before. He had like 3 goals that year, total. Both are top 5 picks. Don't see how they aren't in the same league. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

When Jones was traded he was 21, same as Hanifin, had 11 points in 40 games with Nashville, 27 points in 82 games the year before. He had like 3 goals that year, total. Both are top 5 picks. Don't see how they aren't in the same league. 

Jones can clean up & dominate his own zone.  Always had close or similar offensive upside. But he was not going to get the PP and O'zone starts in Nashville. A handful had him as #1 overall in his draft year.  Its just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Jones can clean up & dominate his own zone.  Always had close or similar offensive upside. But he was not going to get the PP and O'zone starts in Nashville. A handful had him as #1 overall in his draft year.  Its just my opinion.

I respect that opinion, just feel like people are vastly underestimating Hanifin and his upside. The early starts to both of their careers and where they were drafted are very similar which is why I figured Carolina would seek a similar return for Hanifin that Jones got Nashville. You have to be extremely hopeful to think you can get a Hanifin for anything less than another top prospect/young guy in return. People don't trade high potential, 21 year old d-men for guys like Lind and 2nd round picks.

Hanifin will be expensive .... I doubt they move him unless they get a great offer.. 

The 7th overall +  one of Lind or Dahlen plus a roster player like Hutton.  Something like that..  

Canucks need lots more prospects at every position... They need to gather more draft picks and prospects.  They're not in a position to trade for a player like Hanifin yet.. 

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Hanifin will be expensive .... I doubt they move him unless they get a great offer.. 

The 7th overall +  one of Lind or Dahlen plus a roster player like Hutton.  Something like that..  

Canucks need lots more prospects at every position... They need to gather more draft picks and prospects.  They're not in a position to trade for a player like Hanifin yet.. 

imo if we have another solid draft, we can be very aggressive in shaping the core of this team. Just missing some depth in our pool on lw and D. 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:12 PM, Rush17 said:

I am rather surprised by this announcement. I figured Hanifin would be a no go. Maybe they didn't include him on the list to try and get teams calling.  Speed things up if a guy like Hanifin is made available.  We would have to give up a very good piece to acquire him.  I would do the 7th overall but they would likely want roster players or high-end near ready prospects back.  I can see Hanifin being on the block for a potential top line C.  Similar to a Seth Jones for Markus Johanson. The issue is there is not any available unless Edmonton decides to move Draisaitl. Could you imagine?

CAR

Leon Draisaitl

EDM

Noah Hanifin

Chiarelli likes to make big deals. Carolina wants to drastically reshape their roster and got an old GM back on the big stage. Waddell hasn't been afraid to make a big deal in his tenure in Atlanta. 

Hanifin's not worth Draisatl..

Then again, Chiarelli traded Hall for Larsen. 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

I would not trade those two guys for one year of Karlsson.

Jim needs permission to discuss contract before trading for EK. 

7 years 9.5 million front loaded. Kiss on the cheek from the sedins Elias and edler... Also he'll be in the best city available from the nhl cities (best city for a rich millionaire) 

On 5/15/2018 at 5:43 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I am very disappointed with the  Canes management.    There was a plan it felt like but they have abandoned it and it is uber frustrating as they have some really stellar young players who are not advancing much.   With this upcoming 2nd overall to boot and some great prospects, they are not that "far" away from a competitive playoff team but seemingly cannot get the coaching or the key "push" for a winning streak when they seem poised.  I am really wondering what the Flames are doing here - this coach is not magical.

Gauthier and Necas are legit prospects but don't stop pucks.   Bean could be very good but, again, doesn't wear goalie pads.   Darling needs to be better next year but they have a few guys in the pipeline.   Nedeljkovic looks better each year but is further away than Demko IMHO.    Booth may be most talented.    Helvig has a potential future too.

Ron Francis had a good plan it seemed - so much for that.   

I couldn't agree more. Was almost in tears when I heard that Francis was shown the door. For years they have been my team behind Vancouver.

If anything, complacency within their lineup (accepting losing) is the only justifiable excuse for everything that's happened, but even THAT's not good enough, as they are still far from a finished product still (although all the pieces are in place and for the most part all NHL ready or already there (minus goaltending)).

It's been pretty heartbreaking to see what's happened. Francis did a brilliant job, and with everything he's been through in the last few years, jeez, that guy must be face down in the ditch... 

However, I still think Carolina has an amazingly bright future and will still be one of the better teams in the league down the road. In fact, this may be a blessing in disguise. They won't be baking a cake like from scratch the way Vegas did, but in cleaning the house, they can be whatever team they want to become with their own ideal team philosophy, and they have the high-end assets in place to either keep around or use to make big trades to fit their vision.

Any team with a D core like they have, players like Aho, and prospects like Necas and Kuokkanen on the way are destined for great things. If they want more picks, they can trade for more picks. If they want more players to help them push for the playoffs, they can do just that. Carolina is lucky. I feel like they can do just about anything they want; but at the end of the day, I think Francis has to be given the bulk of the credit for providing that organization with what they have in front of them - no matter what the new ownership/management chooses to do with it. I really feel for Francis, but Carolina is going to be as great as they are because of him.

+an added bonus, as you mentioned, they'll be drafting Svechnikov - a winger hybrid of Malkin.

Also I hope they keep their old goal horn. Gives me chills and makes me think of their '06 run, along with their other exciting ones in '02 and '09. 

/end rant. 

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I couldn't agree more. Was almost in tears when I heard that Francis was shown the door. For years they have been my team behind Vancouver.

If anything, complacency within their lineup (accepting losing) is the only justifiable excuse for everything that's happened, but even THAT's not good enough, as they are still far from a finished product still (although all the pieces are in place and for the most part all NHL ready or already there (minus goaltending)).

It's been pretty heartbreaking to see what's happened. Francis did a brilliant job, and with everything he's been through in the last few years, jeez, that guy must be face down in the ditch... 

However, I still think Carolina has an amazingly bright future and will still be one of the better teams in the league down the road. In fact, this may be a blessing in disguise. They won't be baking a cake like from scratch the way Vegas did, but in cleaning the house, they can be whatever team they want to become with their own ideal team philosophy, and they have the high-end assets in place to either keep around or use to make big trades to fit their vision.

Any team with a D core like they have, players like Aho, and prospects like Necas and Kuokkanen on the way are destined for great things. If they want more picks, they can trade for more picks. If they want more players to help them push for the playoffs, they can do just that. Carolina is lucky. I feel like they can do just about anything they want; but at the end of the day, I think Francis has to be given the bulk of the credit for providing that organization with what they have in front of them - no matter what the new ownership/management chooses to do with it. I really feel for Francis, but Carolina is going to be as great as they are because of him.

+an added bonus, as you mentioned, they'll be drafting Svechnikov - a winger hybrid of Malkin.

Also I hope they keep their old goal horn. Gives me chills and makes me think of their '06 run, along with their other exciting ones in '02 and '09. 

/end rant. 

Actually...there's rumours that the #2 pick is being kinda secretly shopped as per reddit, HF boards and TMZ 1040

Take it for what you will but at this point I wouldn't doubt it.  The owner is in full control and the owner seems like a Millbury 

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Actually...there's rumours that the #2 pick is being kinda secretly shopped as per reddit, HF boards and TMZ 1040

Take it for what you will but at this point I wouldn't doubt it.  The owner is in full control and the owner seems like a Millbury 

Lol Tmz 1040.

On 2018-05-21 at 5:04 PM, apollo said:

Jim needs permission to discuss contract before trading for EK. 

7 years 9.5 million front loaded. Kiss on the cheek from the sedins Elias and edler... Also he'll be in the best city available from the nhl cities (best city for a rich millionaire) 

Add 3.5 million per year and maybe .... He's spoken enough about how we wants market value, to the point where he and Doughty will collude together...

Or at least 12 million.  Whomever wins the sweepstakes is going to pay close to McDavid numbers for his services.  And Tavares will get his ten million deal too.   Definitely a nice city for millionaires...

On 2018-05-21 at 11:55 AM, guntrix said:

Hanifin's not worth Draisatl..

I don’t know that that’s necessarily true.  In fact I actually think that’s fairly close to fair value.... maybe add a bit one way or another but I’d argue it’s gotta be in the ball park. 

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t know that that’s necessarily true.  In fact I actually think that’s fairly close to fair value.... maybe add a bit one way or another but I’d argue it’s gotta be in the ball park. 

Especially since Drai's contract isn't looking all that great. 

On 2018-05-19 at 5:35 PM, N7Nucks said:

Carolina Hurricanes Defense 15/16 (Hanifins rookie year): 

Ron Hainsey(35) 

Noah Hanifin(18) - rookie

Jaccob Slavin(21) - rookie

Brett Pesche(20) - rookie

Justin Faulk(23) - injured 19 games

Ryan Murphy(22) - tweener

Michal Jordan(24) - in khl now

Nashville Defense 13/14 (Jones rookie year):

Shea Webber (27) 

Roman Josi (23)

Ryan Ellis (23)

Seth Jones(18) - rookie

Matthias Ekholm(24) - 

Michael Del Zotto(23) - deadline deal

Kevin Klein(28) - not in NHL traded that year

Victor Barley(26) - not in NHL

I wonder which team was harder to crack. 

5 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Ron Hainsey(35) 

Shea Webber (27) 

Roman Josi (23)

Ryan Ellis (23)

Seth Jones(18) - rookie

Matthias Ekholm(24) - 

Hanifin put up similar points to Jones on a much weaker team. Good to know.

6 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Ron Hainsey(35) 

Shea Webber (27) 

Roman Josi (23)

Ryan Ellis (23)

Seth Jones(18) - rookie

Matthias Ekholm(24) - 

Woah, had no idea Michael Jordan played D for the Hurricanes and plays in the KHL. What a talent.

Archived